_Matt_

Suspension upgrade - Late VR6

Hi,

I’m doing my research on suspension options as I need to replace the front shocks on my 95 VR6. I like the OEM plus look and want my car to sit a little lower.

I have been considering the B12 kit but after reading people having loads of issues with the rear springs it’s put me off.

I basically want my car to sit similar to an early VR6. Can I achieve this by just buying early style springs? Why are the later cars sitting higher than the first?

Feel free to post pics of corrados on speedlines with modest drops :)

Cheers

Matt

Edited by pfnsht
Changed title - more relevant

Later cars got the suspension straight off the Passat axle, they apparently didn't bother changing the spring height. On the upside you can ride over speed ramps with impunity...

Afaik you can't fit early suspension or springs all the fittings are different (top mounts, hubs, spring cups).

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Thanks for the Info :)

Some more searching seems to suggest blestein B6 and some suitable 20-30mm springs (suggestions and pics much appreciated).

I’m reading the B6s are dampers suitable for standard to up to -30mm spring drops which is the sort of thing I am after. I want to retain comfort and not too low.

"Comfort" hehe. All things are relative. Even a terrible modern car rides way better than the best Corrado..!

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

B6 with H&R springs is a good compromise. That's what I have on mine and results in a reasonable drop with good handling and close to standard ride quality.

I've got the H and R springs on mine. Brought it down to a more respectable height. But these do use the earlier spring cups.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I like the look of these H&R springs - checked out your gallery/thread fendervg. Thanks from the heads up on the spring cups Cressa - I've seen these in my research, I take it I need to source a couple of them from gsf/tps and replace what's on my car to no ill effect?

Next question... what's the differece between ABE and Typ 53i? For exmaple I'm looking at these two options for the VR6 on this website for HR springs http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/category_results.mhtml?category=hrsprings;car=vwcorrado;manufacturer=hr;sub_category=1

Thanks!

Matt

Worth an email to ask. I was slightly deceived by what I ordered as I thought my springs would come black as I was trying to keep it oe looking. They came green. ..7a15f752b38ef5aa22fe0a02c30d1b64.jpg3743e9e7e88442d9bbb0e7bebb00f477.jpg839e19e5cd6ce378a1ea3f40ecbf34aa.jpg6f0666c0f4483fb3ace8adae265c28d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks and cheers for the pics and part numbers to illustrate - that's great! Yes Green is different but does look quite nice even though not OEM. I'm keen on OEM (+) too.

Matt

I am still flitting around on what to do. I think pictures of B12 and H&R setups will help :) Before and after would be good! Sometimes I think I should just leave it standard and replace with a set of Bilstein B4 OEM spring height shocks. My front shock is only leaking a little and MOT not due until August so I have some time.

I will be changing my suspension in some shape for form as I've bought new top mounts and bumpstops all round.

I have searched for this but most of the threads are old and the pictures have gone/photobucket hosting error.

Cheers

i've got some lowering cups for the front struts which drop it by about 15mm. Not using them so might be an easy route to tune the front end?

Cheers Hasan, it's really the rear that sits up too high (imo) - is it even possible to get the lowercups for the rear. I don't know much about them to be honest but can't help but think a suspension kit with dampers tuned to suit spring length is better.

1st photo 92 vr6 with Koni TA and H&R setup

2nd photo 95 vr6 storm with B12 - also with front lowering caps.

Edit both running standard 15” wheels

[ATTACH]91918[/ATTACH][ATTACH]91921[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by edd

If you can’t see photos on iPhone log on via webpage rather than Tapatalk app. Thats the way it is for me....

Edd that is great. There isn’t much in it both options work really really well.

I’m keeping my speedlines so it would look v similar. Hmmm.

Thanks wompa. I like the height at the back - it looks slightly higher vs the B12 kit on Edds actually. I have seen a full H&R cup kit which is 40mm all round for less than 400 quid which would suit me if the front was a little higher. What’s the ride like on yours?

Cheers

Matt

So I’ve been in conversations with Larkspeed – very helpful – about the B12 kit and I’m considering pulling the trigger – however the rear springs in their kit are the ones with Part Number 85 13 002 which reading the threads on here seem to be the ones that lower too much at the rear on some cars. They know about the problems with this kit and will replace with the 85 12 002 springs if I have problems. Apparently there isn’t any way to know if I need the revised springs until it’s fitted so has anyone got any ideas on how I can be sure as I’d rather not mess about fitting and re-fitting and I just know my wife will give it to me in the ear for “messing” about with the car, especially if it ends up costing more money and time fitting.

It’s a bit of headache and I might just replace my standard shocks with Bilstein B4s and forget about it. Certainly cheaper (£220 for 4 on ebay) and one of my main criteria’s is not to move too far away from standard. It’s a shame I can’t just source some springs from an earlier VR and fit them to mine over the standard B4 shocks, by all accounts it seems the only suspension changes with the VR relate to the top spring plate at the front on later cars and spring length changes. All were “plus” wide track suspension. I’ve found references on this forum that late rear springs are 360mm uncompressed/off car where as early ones were 345mm = the circa

Meh!

Cheers

Matt

Mine are some of the ones with 8513002 but I just put front lowering caps on right from the start because I’d had the b12 kit sat in my shed for a few years before and therefore had little recourse from the group buy, plus I would not know if I had a problem until I put them on. As it happens if i didn’t put the lowering caps on I think it would possibly sit slightly low at the rear, but in fact I actually ended up with just the right drop for my taste and it seems to sit very level all round now [ATTACH]92158[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by edd

Cheers edd. I think for me it’s too low and as mine is also a 95 model I fear I’ll run into the same problem. I liked your koni and 35mm set up but that’s £712 and too much for me.

Ah well unless I find some early springs I’ll probably leave it be. If it wasn’t for leaky shocks I’d not be thinking about this right now.

Resolved..... Just bought the B12 kit from Larkspeed. They'll change the rear springs if I do run into problems.

I went in circles for a bit on this one. Admit I'm a bit tight so was looking for a cheaper option but I've learnt from prior mistakes that you get what you pay for.

Good call - I found Larkspeed to be very helpful and ordered the B12 from them also ;)

Good call - I found Larkspeed to be very helpful and ordered the B12 from them also ;)

Second that - I bought from them and ended up with the wrong rear springs, but they couldn’t have been more helpful - plus it’s a great set up