NewbridgeJob

No crank no start

So, I’ve just picked up a little 16v Corrado that had been sat for a while. I stuck a new battery on and it fired up straight away with no issues.

Got it trailered home and again it fired up no problem. Then, I went to move it out my yard and the first time I turned the key nothing happened. I had full power but no crank. Fiddled with the key, took it out and put it back and it fired up fine.

Anyway, about 5 mins later I tried starting it and the issue returned permantly. At first i thought it was the battery so changed it for a new one but still the same issue.

I’ve tried cleaning the battery earth and have gave the starter motor a whack but still the same

Do you think this could be an immobiliser issue? It’s got a Cobra 4310 alarm with remote central locking.

Any advice appreciated

Well I’ve had a faulty ignition switch before but it still cranked so that’s why I didn’t consider it on this occasion. But I’ve since heard that you can still get a fault ignition switch and for it not to crank at all

Put 12V to the small connection on the starter and it should crank if the starter is OK - make sure the car is out of gear otherwise it will run you over!

If you put a test light on the trigger wire (the small one)and crank the engine the light shoud light up

Also check that up have 12 volt on the thick wire going to the starter motor

Check earths from the engine,battery,check fuses

Could well be the ignition switch. On the Corrado the problem tends to manifest itself as ignition / dash all coming on when key turned, but no cranking at all when turning to the start position. Following the diagnostic advice above should help you pinpoint the issue :)

Well, those who said faulty ignition switch, give yourself a goldfish! Put a new one on and it fired up straight away and all is well. Strange how many different symptoms you can have with a faulty switch.

Thanks everyone

I have a similar issue and it's driving me mad. I will try changing the ignition switch and let's see how it goes 😊

Cheers!

In case anyone is having a similar issue, and you still have trouble after changing the ignition switch (like i did), take a look at the starter motor area.. After first trying the ignition switch, then debating whether to get the immobiliser checked out, and after muchos muchos forum thread searching - it turned out to be the starter motor. The braided wire in the photo had corroded and was barely touching.. Depending on how the car was sitting when i attempted to crank the engine meant it sometimes started up, and sometimes didn't.. Which bugged the life out of me for a while!

So a worthwhile check if you are having similar issues. Just wiggle the braided cable to see if its still well connected - mine just disintegrated at the connection points. I dare say it could be easily repaired by replacing the braided cable and tidying up the connections whilst the starter motor is off... But i opted for a refurbished Bosch starter motor from Euro Car Parts and swapped it over.. Right as rain since (about 6 months later)..

Can't seem to upload a pic via the basic uploader, so hopefully via an attachment has worked..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94564[/ATTACH]