Jim

Any more 3D printing projects?

Hey folks..

Not been on here much lately but do try and keep my toe in the water with the forum / club where possible.

A potentially new / exciting opportunity has opened up where I work to dabble with another 3D modelling / scanning project and my mind immediately turned to more reproduction Corrado things. As many of you know, I undertook a project a few years ago to reproduce the little screw covers for the speedo clocks and have gone on to sell many of those, but that project was pretty drawn out as it involved engaging a design company to do the 3D scanning work and then finding another company to 3D print the pieces.

This opportunity might allow me to do the 3D scanning / modelling work a bit more in house which would open up possibilities for doing some other projects going forward.

My question I guess is, are there any plastic trim pieces which are currently unavailable which folks would really like to see, which would be fairly simple / basic to clone? I don't want to get too ambitious but maybe if we get something out of this it might open the door for further / more complicated projects. Even metal pieces might be feasible so.. obsolete / unusual shaped nuts and bolts, etc etc.

So folks.. any suggestions?

I want to suffix that lot by saying I'm not looking to do this as a money making venture; much like the trim clips, it's intended to be a cost neutral exercise as a favour to other owners, not a project to line my pockets.

Thanks.

I've already got a small project in mind for BMW E39 owners. There's a little plastic spring clip which is used to secure the air lines onto the rear air-springs as fitted to the touring / estate models. On 20+ year old cars, it's brittle and snaps easily if you need to replace the air spring and of course BMW do not sell them individually.. you have to buy them along with the rest of the air reservoir which costs a small fortune.

But really keen to hear if there's any other Corrado projects which would be suitable :)

there is so many parts now - for a start scuttle (water deflector) trim retaining clips ? hows about a new car !!!

Metal pieces would be feasible given that 3D printing companies like Shapeways will print in metal now, though they may be pricey.. If anyone has some spare clips they'd be willing to send me (I'd return them) I'd be happy to investigate them.

The bonnet release trumpet thing is difficult to get these days and the passenger side one(no screw) seems impossible to get. I guess if you had one with a screw you could map it and map it without the screw to do the passenger side? I have one of these and no doubt I may have various other bits I’d be happy to loan you for the process :)

The bonnet release trumpet thing is difficult to get these days and the passenger side one(no screw) seems impossible to get. I guess if you had one with a screw you could map it and map it without the screw to do the passenger side? I have one of these and no doubt I may have various other bits I’d be happy to loan you for the process :)

Haha, understatement of the year there Martin! :lol:

These are all great ideas folks - thanks! Martin - if you're happy to loan me a few choice pieces I'd be more than happy to investigate the feasibility of getting them scanned / mapped. I'd of course send them back to you as soon as I was done with them?

I was fairly sure I still had some fuse box cover trim clips but be damned if I can find them.

Strangely work have just bought me Google sketchup and are going to buy a 3d printer as well. So I've been having the same thoughts this week.

Scuttle clips instantly came to mind. I have some if required. Not sure on the capabilities of 3d printers but they are quite a complex clip imo.

Not sure when I'll get the printer but could always try and produce a 3d drawing of one. Happy to send you a clip if you fancy a go as well.

Been thinking about your corrado woes recently Jim, That tappy noise. I think I've finally decided its valve springs to blame.

Is there a limit as to how big things can be? If not:

Wings

Number plate panels

Front spoilers

Dash inserts (air vents / radio etc housing)

Hi, I'm new to the forum, so not sure what's been discussed before, but I believe the sunroof guides that are a common failure are no longer a a available, and would be a good option for 3D printing in metal.

In my case I'm thinking smaller pieces rather than large stuff, Goldie.. large scale stuff may be possible but I'd rather start with smaller things if possible and feel out what options there are.

Bits for the sunroof are a good shout... I know there's a few pieces which commonly fail.. does anyone have broken bits left over from sunroof repairs?

I have a 3D printer myself and I've designed and printed the direction heater cog (the one that always breaks) but unfortunately the quality of my printer isn't good enough to be able to produce them for people to use, I did reinforce the channel a little but it's still in prototype phase but I ran out of filament. I'm happy to send the .ipt/.stl file across if you wanted a go? Another one I've designed and printed is a 'VR32' badge but renewarts stuff really is a hundred times better than my attempts.

Goldie, I think for small businesses just wanting rapid prototyping the max size is about 300mm x 300mm x 300mm but a block that big would take about 2 weeks constant printing and absolutely bucket loads of filament, which isn't cheap.

Have you thought about sending it to print with Shapeways, swiftkid? They have a variety of materials they can print in and their service is excellent.

I haven't, I started the project with the intention of uploading the design for others to print as I'm going mk4 climate control but useful to know for other projects

If anything needs scanning i have access to industrial grade scanning equipment and not limited to size so would be willing to help out.

How about the rear number plate light. As I've just broken mine trying to clean it:censored: I now need a replacement !!

How about the plastic inserts on the wings. The ones that are used to protect the wings from the screws holding the wheel arch liner.

How about the plastic inserts on the wings. The ones that are used to protect the wings from the screws holding the wheel arch liner.

I think I cleared vw out of these last year.. I have a bag of about 20. They were about at 25p each so I took the whole stock. :)

How about the rear number plate light. As I've just broken mine trying to clean it:censored: I now need a replacement !!

I've got a brand new one, but never worked out where the wires go so I can change it... I guess I've only looked for a few mins.

A lot of clips & inserts still can be gotten on the internet (Im asking Corrado owners about these white nylon scuttle cover clips,I have the original drawings from the supplier & indeed they are the ones,only issue is I have to buy 12,000 of them which I'm not that bothered,but I just don't want to be left with 11500)

Whats think?

Will soon be removing the rear axle for shot blasting, and replacement bushes. There are a few plastic brake pipe clips, and ABS cable carriers on there. Are these still available, or should these be added to the list?

Sorry for going a bit off topic, but can anyone tell me where to get replacement spring steel brackets to support the rear flexible brake hoses?

I think I cleared vw out of these last year.. I have a bag of about 20. They were about at 25p each so I took the whole stock. :)

quite happy for anyone to scan one of these parts, if they want to 3d print any....