Jim

Any more 3D printing projects?

I would suggest a simple part for a first project. The clip 535 853 832 A 03C is no longer available. He is to attach the cover of the windshield. The snap-in nose breaks like that. This part should be relatively easy to manufacture. The sleeve 535 853 837 belongs to this clip. It will probably not be available soon either. Without these two parts you can not install a windshield. Parts of the guide of the sunroof are also good, but probably difficult to manufacture.

Edited by RadoRon

This clips are not to fit the windscreen. This clips are to attach the cover of the windshield (wipers). If this clips breaks, the cover must be glued on to fix it.

Possibly another small plastic item that could do with being 3D printed,

is the small screw end caps that fit into the head of some of the cross headed screws, i.e the Phillips screws, that are used on the door cards.

Part number I think is 321 867 169B

Or 321 867 169B 01C satin black,

but I suppose if they're 3D printed any colour is potentially possible as our interiors came in black, grey, and beige.

Si

What's the alternative mate? I don't know anything about this, but like most, just want to be able to replace old/tired/missing/obsolete parts

3D printing never reaches the original quality and looks like ****.

For the original quality molds must be made of metal or silicone.

This is more elaborate and expensive but better.

But that only makes sense if you order about 1000 pieces.

Use a door card bottom clip for the windscreen rainwater deflector clips and shape it with a dremel by trial and error until you perfect them to the desired profile, worked ok on mine.

Edited by GrahamV

Is there a limit as to how big things can be? If not:

Wings

Number plate panels

Front spoilers

Dash inserts (air vents / radio etc housing)

Number plate panels and Dash inserts (air vents / radio etc housing) are already done.

3D printing never reaches the original quality and looks like ****.

That's just not true, the printer I use has an accuracy of 0.05mm and there are many better ones available. Including those that can print metal.

That's just not true, the printer I use has an accuracy of 0.05mm and there are many better ones available. Including those that can print metal.

Could you please show some detailed photos from the surface?

Number plate panels and Dash inserts (air vents / radio etc housing) are already done.

Where!? Dash inserts have broken clips and marks from stereo removal on many cars. They very very rarely become available in good condition. Can you share where they are available.

Sprinter, lets not get into an argument about this. We know you are a salesman and 3D printing items is essential competition, agree the quality is not amazing on the cheaper printers, I know because I own one but higher spec printers create higher quality items. Small clips & items not on show are a great idea to 3D print, agree the likes of number plate panels and larger items aren't such a good idea due to costs of printing but bear in mind the koenigsegg body panels & turbo are 3D printed.

Also just to add, you've posted links from german ebay, left hand drive items

By number plate panels do you mean the rear panel between the lights? If so where are these available from?

Sprinter, lets not get into an argument about this. We know you are a salesman and 3D printing items is essential competition, agree the quality is not amazing on the cheaper printers, I know because I own one but higher spec printers create higher quality items. Small clips & items not on show are a great idea to 3D print, agree the likes of number plate panels and larger items aren't such a good idea due to costs of printing but bear in mind the koenigsegg body panels & turbo are 3D printed.

Also just to add, you've posted links from german ebay, left hand drive items

I speak to you as Corrado driver who wants to have the best spare parts for his Corrados.

Unfortunately, the possibilities of 3D printing are limited. Especially in terms of surface and size of the parts.

Maybe 3D printing is suitable for small and invisible parts, but nothing more.

The possibilities of 3D printing are limited. Especially in terms of surface and size of the parts.

You are clearly speaking as someone invested in a standard manufacturing processes or someone who hasn't done any research into commercial 3d printing. I assure you both the quality or size of 3d printers is only as limited in the same way you would be with any injection molding machine. Surfaces can be completely smooth from the printer and the size of the machine can be whatever you need to be developed. 3D printers are already used in a huge number of industries from healthcare to spacecraft. You shouldn't base your view of 3d printing on £200 desktop hobby printers.

These images are of 3D scanned sculpture which was then shrank down, printed and silver plated.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94807[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]94810[/ATTACH]

As you can see there are no build lines in these prints, with the mirror of the silver these would be even more apparent.

I speak to you as Corrado driver who wants to have the best spare parts for his Corrados.

Unfortunately, the possibilities of 3D printing are limited. Especially in terms of surface and size of the parts.

Think your barking up the wrong tree. Back in the early 90's when I did an engineering degree in design and manufacture I did some development in rapid prototyping as it was called then. And it did have limitations then. And was really only good for prototyping models and the accuracy wasn't that good. The modern machines and materials are as good as any other process in small batches..

So far I have not seen absolutely smooth surfaces in 3D printing.

Maybe the printers are better now.

It's just the question if it pays to buy a 5000 ¬ printer to make small parts worth 1 €?

For years, everyone has been talking about 3D printing, so why does not anyone produce parts for the Corrado?

So far I have not seen absolutely smooth surfaces in 3D printing.

Maybe the printers are better now.

It's just the question if it pays to buy a 5000 ¬ printer to make small parts worth 1 €?

For years, everyone has been talking about 3D printing, so why does not anyone produce parts for the Corrado?

But that £5000 printer is still cheaper than the machine and the dies to create the component with traditional plastic production techniques

But that £5000 printer is still cheaper than the machine and the dies to create the component with traditional plastic production techniques

Of course, the equipment costs much more than a good 3D printer.

But why buy the equipment? I also do not buy a whole cow if I only want one steak :)

It's just the question if it pays to buy a 5000 ¬ printer to make small parts worth 1 €

Of course, the equipment costs much more than a good 3D printer.

But why buy the equipment? I also do not buy a whole cow if I only want one steak :)

But that's the thing, you don't need to buy a printer to have something printed. I could send a piece to someone with a high quality printer and have it printed as a one off. I couldn't send a model to an injection molder and have one made up without having to pay for the custom die and likely a run of several thousand.

Hey folks..

Not been on here much lately but do try and keep my toe in the water with the forum / club where possible.

A potentially new / exciting opportunity has opened up where I work to dabble with another 3D modelling / scanning project and my mind immediately turned to more reproduction Corrado things. As many of you know, I undertook a project a few years ago to reproduce the little screw covers for the speedo clocks and have gone on to sell many of those, but that project was pretty drawn out as it involved engaging a design company to do the 3D scanning work and then finding another company to 3D print the pieces.

This opportunity might allow me to do the 3D scanning / modelling work a bit more in house which would open up possibilities for doing some other projects going forward.

My question I guess is, are there any plastic trim pieces which are currently unavailable which folks would really like to see, which would be fairly simple / basic to clone? I don't want to get too ambitious but maybe if we get something out of this it might open the door for further / more complicated projects. Even metal pieces might be feasible so.. obsolete / unusual shaped nuts and bolts, etc etc.

So folks.. any suggestions?

I want to suffix that lot by saying I'm not looking to do this as a money making venture; much like the trim clips, it's intended to be a cost neutral exercise as a favour to other owners, not a project to line my pockets.

Thanks.

How would printing a 3D VR6 Speedline centre cap hold up feasability-wise? Too big? I've recently lost one and i've not been able to find one anywhere.