carrots

metal under the rubber tailgate seal

I noticed the metal under the tailgate seal is very rusty.i reckon if I tapped it there would be a hole.is this a common place to rot .

I’ve never seen a corrado rust on this part of the body personally. I’m not saying it’s not a weak point , but having had to sort out my car and from what I’ve seen on others , it’s usually inside the fuel cap , rear window, front screen. Post a pic up of the area .

I've seen cars where the rear panel has been replaced without treating the metal inside with waxoil rot at the vertical seams and the seam the tailgate shuts against

I've seen this, in fact I had a small area on mine before it was cut out and welded new in. The seal has a metal tab that links it where it joins at the bottom. The water tends to collect at the seal join, and rots out the un-prepared metal tab and slowly works it's way to the lip where the seal sits. Mine wasn't particularly bad, a small finger nail sized bit of rust was there and hadn't gone all the way through, but I'm sure I could well happen to other cars with worse results.

Yes I've got this issue on mine slightly,

I spoke to a might of mine who's a panel beater / sprayer, he said really I've got two options.

1) is to replace the rear panel.

2) is to carefully prize a part the seam flaps, and give them a good clean, i.e removing all the loose surface rust to get clean metal, then use a good rust eater which stops the rust forming again, paint it up and then wax oil.

Like I say that was his advice.

Also what Sean82 has said it must be where water collects or sits.

Si

Edited by vw rule

Corrados can rust almost anywhere, in the stupidest of places sadly. The only proper way to fix it is to cut it out and weld in new metal.