Sign in to follow this  
Blair

Best alloy wheel cleaner?

Someone mentioned to me recently there's a new alloy cleaner out on the market that shifts brake dust really quickly. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was called...! To make matters worse, I can't remember who mentioned it...

I *think* they said it was a foam.

Anyone got any recommendations?

ive used muc off and wonder wheels,the muc off cost me £15 and the wonder wheels £7 and i find the wonder wheels better,the wonder wheels is just like a weak battery acid

Someone mentioned to me recently there's a new alloy cleaner out on the market that shifts brake dust really quickly. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was called...! To make matters worse, I can't remember who mentioned it...

I *think* they said it was a foam.

Anyone got any recommendations?

That might have been me... I use Turtle Wax's foam alloy wheel cleaner and its pretty good.

Spray over the wheel, leave for 30 seconds, agitate with a wheel cleaner brush, leave a bit longer, hose off.

Then manually dry the wheels afterwards with an old cloth to remove any old bits and pieces left on. Doesn't do too bad, and is about £6 for a big can.

i used wonder wheels for the first time a couple of weeks ago, i got the shock of my life when it started turning the wheels green! :shock: luckily it all washes of and ends up sparkly clean! before that i've used halfords foam stuff, which quite franky is pants.

Jim, I think it was you actually, thinking about it!

Cheers for the suggestions. I've got Wonder Wheels, but it's frankly a pain in the rear when it comes to cleaning those BBS. Something like that foam stuff sounds like a great idea...or do you still need to get on your hands and knees and get a toothbrush on the wheels? :)

you will still need to get a stiff brush on them,ive found now that im useing ebc brake pads the wheels stay a lot cleaner for longer

I use wonder wheels...

If your wheels start turning green you are leaving the stuff on for too long :lol:

I wash the wheels using wonder wheels...

then shampoo them with hot wash and wax...

then rinse and dry with a chamois...

and voila... you get this:

Autoglym instant tyre dressing I'll bet :wink:

Tis what I use......

It finishes off the look of the cleaned car perfeclty.

I don't use wheel cleaner on my rims as I've polished them with Swissol, so the dust just wipes off with cold water :wink:

was it a special swissol product for wheels or just the normal wax stuff you thought would work on wheels aswell??

still pleased with the swissol stuff kev?? still need to buy the set for my car.... another thing to add to a long list :roll:

Yup it was indeed autoglym tyre dressing... :lol:

Polishing the wheels.... :idea:

:lol:

Yeah just the regular car wax on the wheels mate. They are a painted surface after all and get no hotter than a black bonnet does in the sun, so........ on it goes :lol:

Yep still pleased with the Swissol. Although I accidentally used half a pot on my first application (well, the manual did say "liberal" amounts!), the shine is just stunning, even with a alyer of surface dirt/dust. And when you wash it, the water just runs off the car like magnets at each end of the car are pulling it off. It's amazing stuff.

I've junked the rear wiper too and put rain-x on the back glass, and it's all good :mrgreen:

K

can i have your lupo modded rear arm then :lol: ??

what have you covered the hole from the rear wiper with or do you just have the spindle sticking up??? :|

Yeah I'll swap it for your standard arm as I need to keep a wiper system handy incase I flog the car!

Left it with the spindle sticking out????? This is me you're talking about, LOL!! Nope, everything has been removed and the hole blanked off with a colour coded grommet.

Ooh Yum :mrgreen: - That's just how I'd like my VR to look (right colour too!). I will post a before and after with the wonder wheels in the next week or too. My wheels are some of the grottiest in the land. Hopefully get them cleaned up just in time to sell it. :( Heading back to Aus in September :D

LOL, yeah I'm a self confessed perfectionist. As the famous VW slogan goes "Built in Germany, refined in Britain" :mrgreen:

colour coded grommet.

Speaking of grommets, when I had picked up the junk lying on the floor of the 1993 Polo I bought for my daughter a couple of weeks ago, I found a rubber grommet and a plastic Grommet .

Spooky, eh?

i just clean mine with soapy(cheap car wash liquid) hot water everyday.........that way u don't have to worry about brake dust accumulating...........and all u need is a suitable container or bucket to keep a sponge in...........and either fill it up or fill up a 2L bottle of juice with the hot soapy water......all it takes is 10 mins tops :wink: