Keyo

Crank Sensor replacement warning

Hi all,

VR6 Rado

Today I had a bit of a nighmare changing the crank sensor. The Alen bolt came off fine and I thought this seems easy but then it took me about an hour to get the old one off it was an aftermarket part and all black and plastic. The surround of the sensor broke off in the round housing but I eventually managed to wingle it out with much effort and grief.

I fitted a VW part 021906433A but it wouldnt go in to the housing fully and was on the slant when doing up the bolt because of the black plastic circle trim that sits between the brown O ring and end of the circilar metal made it impossible to go in and when doing the bolt up would make the sensor slant towards the bolt side . In the end I just put the sensor in without the plastic round trim/ spacer but with only the brown rubber O ring. P.s the black circular trim came off the sensor easily it just pulls off with ease.

Question is has anyone else encounted this problem ?? , I have attached a picture of the part. Im quite worried about taking the plastic trim off hope its goint to be ok couldnt see no oil leaks after starting the engine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95981[/ATTACH].

Edited by Keyo

I didn’t encounter any problems, I changed mine around 5 years ago I think .

Thanks for the reply was it an original VW part you used with the plastic surround trim same as picture ?

Cheers.

Did you check to make sure that there is not an old o-ring or piece of sensor casing in there? I replaced mine 3 years ago with a VW one identical to yours and had no issues.

Yeah I rubbed my finger round there and couldnt feel any debris the supicious thing was the old one was a real bugger to get out to and def got the old o ring out still have it, maybe there is a bit of casing left . Might well be that circle housing has distorted over time god knows Im a bit annoted with the whole thing to be honest , I was going to leave it to VW with other work I was having but they wanted 100 or so quid for labour, they must have mystic meg working for them ha !

Edited by Keyo

Silly question but I jacked the car up when I changed it that wouldnt put pressure on the crank sensor housing would it making it hard to put the sensor in it ? Had the car up on one side a good eight inches as was installing some new 70 L stainless steel tank straps on at the same time.

Done this on both my 93s and never had this issue. I used one metal OE sensor and an aftermarket plastic one, both went in with issues. My guess is that there is something stuck in there that is preventing you from installing it properly. I can't imagine jacking the car up could have any influence on it. Did mine with one side jacked up.

Done this on both my 93s and never had this issue. I used one metal OE sensor and an aftermarket plastic one, both went in with issues. My guess is that there is something stuck in there that is preventing you from installing it properly. I can't imagine jacking the car up could have any influence on it. Did mine with one side jacked up.

It might be that that the surface of the housing has slight corrosion on the surface making it a tighter hole, at the moment the car seems to be working fine without the trim its still sticking in the same length as srew is flush, I think the plastic round trim just gives it a bit more support in the housing keeping it lodged , I will be revisiting it at a later date when I can get it on a ramp.

Silly question but I jacked the car up when I changed it that wouldnt put pressure on the crank sensor housing would it making it hard to put the sensor in it ? Had the car up on one side a good eight inches as was installing some new 70 L stainless steel tank straps on at the same time.

The crank sensor housing is the engine block, so I'd be a bit worried if it were warped due to jacking! I've changed one without issue too, so as mentioned it sounds like something is fouling it.

Thanks for the reply was it an original VW part you used with the plastic surround trim same as picture ?

Cheers.

Yes it was a genuine part I used .

The crank sensor housing is the engine block, so I'd be a bit worried if it were warped due to jacking! I've changed one without issue too, so as mentioned it sounds like something is fouling it.

The one side of the car was jacked up on the subframe and I just thought that it might of put some tension in that area , I'll get it up on a ramp and have a good look when I get the chance, the old one was really tough to pull out and was lodged in, to be honest I think the hole just needs a good clean of any pitting or muck , it is a very tight place to work in though so need a ramp really as have hands like a JCB Bucket.Also I have a new sump to fit so will do that at the same time .

Might be easier to try and twist it out rather than pull it straight. It will break the rust 'weld' and you can then clean up the area.

Just check that the old spacer collar is not stuck in there - use a torch and mirror if necessary. Use a fine grade of emery paper and wipe clean with a clean rag. Use a small amount of engine oil before refitting. The o-ring will give it a good seal. Also clean the face of the block before reinstalling.

Might be easier to try and twist it out rather than pull it straight. It will break the rust 'weld' and you can then clean up the area.

Just check that the old spacer collar is not stuck in there - use a torch and mirror if necessary. Use a fine grade of emery paper and wipe clean with a clean rag. Use a small amount of engine oil before refitting. The o-ring will give it a good seal. Also clean the face of the block before reinstalling.

Thanks all managed to get the sensor in today had to put the O ring in the housing first and then it slid in fine with the plastic spacer another job off the list !