robrado974

Cassette lighting .

Can anyone tell me if i remove the ashtray and the plastic mounting for it , will i be able to fish out the wire for the cassette holder lighting ?. Im hoping i dont have to remove the centre consul .

Kind regards

Rob

Do you mean the lighting with the white surround that sits above the ash tray? If so, yes its not a problem. Might help to get some angled tweezers just in case, although some heavy gauge wiring also makes a good 'fishing loop'!

The light unit is just clipped on top of the ash tray surround and the connector to it is the same as many of the other vw ones with the release arm on the side

Mine was hanging loose at the back. I pushed it through the rubber that is in the top of the cubby hole and it reached perfectly. Ironically I was looking through receipts tonight and came across the bulb holder for this

I call this the ashtray light its pretty easy to replace.

Take out the ashtray .

Unscrew the one screw in the ashtray surround trim located at the back .

Pull the trim out and disconnect the plug out of the bulb housing.

The white bulb housing then can be wedged out of the trim and the bulb unit can be pulled off the white surround.

You can still order the green bulb housing from VW Heritage that they order in from VW classic . 357919243AK25 £7.50

I also replaced heat seat contol switch which I found out was also meant to be iluminated, also dint realise that the Rado had heated mirrors.

Edited by Keyo

It’s

Do you mean the lighting with the white surround that sits above the ash tray? If so, yes its not a problem. Might help to get some angled tweezers just in case, although some heavy gauge wiring also makes a good 'fishing loop'!

The light unit is just clipped on top of the ash tray surround and the connector to it is the same as many of the other vw ones with the release arm on the side

It’s the cassette I’m trying to get lit up Hasan .

Mine was hanging loose at the back. I pushed it through the rubber that is in the top of the cubby hole and it reached perfectly. Ironically I was looking through receipts tonight and came across the bulb holder for this

Thanks I will take a look .

I call this the ashtray light its pretty easy to replace.

Take out the ashtray .

Unscrew the one screw in the ashtray surround trim located at the back .

Pull the trim out and disconnect the plug out of the bulb housing.

The white bulb housing then can be wedged out of the trim and the bulb unit can be pulled off the white surround.

You can still order the green bulb housing from VW Heritage that they order in from VW classic . 357919243AK25 £7.50

I also replaced heat seat contol switch which I found out was also meant to be iluminated, also dint realise that the Rado had heated mirrors.

Ive got some spare green bulbs . Just to clarify, my heating control is lit , so is the fag lighter, so there is a wire hanging there somewhere to plug in the back of the cassette holder?.

Yes mate, there is a spare wire, with the correct plug on for connecting the illumination for such an item.

Good luck in searching for it mate

Not sure if these work well but cheap enough if you dont want to take out the dash and also you could possibly use it for future inspection of the bores once sparks removed.

This looks like a Chinese ebay seller but Im sure there will be a UK one with stock.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIFI-Endoscope-Wireless-8LED-IP68-Borescope-Inspection-Camera-for-iPhone-Android/273547981832?hash=item3fb0baf408:m:mAk70W7uyRzkUrYcryeNxWg:rk:2:pf:0

Edited by Keyo

Not sure if these work well but cheap enough if you dont want to take out the dash and also you could possibly use it for future inspection of the bores once sparks removed.

This looks like a Chinese ebay seller but Im sure there will be a UK one with stock.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIFI-Endoscope-Wireless-8LED-IP68-Borescope-Inspection-Camera-for-iPhone-Android/273547981832?hash=item3fb0baf408:m:mAk70W7uyRzkUrYcryeNxWg:rk:2:pf:0

This looks pretty good - like you say, could be useful for bore inspection

I hope I can find it , I really don’t fancy removing the front consul again . Stupid really I just forgot about the lighting for the holder.

Rob just a thought - perhaps you could make a two-connector extension to plug into any of the more easily accessible connectors? I'm sure I've got some 2 pin connectors left - if so I'll pop them in the post to you

Rob, I think the wiring follows the loom as it comes down the RH side of the centre console, so may be worth poking your hand around that area to find it mate