victorpolanco

1993 vr6 head gasket

I blew my head gasket about a month ago (I stopped driving it since) and I’m looking for replacement parts. I keep hearing the metal head gaskets are better but I’m not sure which one exactly to buy. I’ve seen a few for sale that are just the gasket but none with the whole kit. I know the part number is 021-103-383 N, if anyone has a link to a kit Id appreciate it. I’m kind of in a hurry because my mechanic will be busy soon so I want to order it ASAP. Thanks!

Seems quite a scientific analysis, but others have said there is a performance advantage.

VR6 heads corrode badly around the waterways, often needing building up with chemical metal before a skim, to my mind the fibre gasket will seal better around uneven surfaces?

Some who've used the MLS gasket have sprayed it with a sealing compound before fitting it.

What would I fit? I don't know.....

MLS is definitely a lot thinner - I bought both and measured both with digital verniers - standard Elring which I understand to be the same as if not OEM 1.6mm

Victor Reinz MLS was 0.9mm - again I think this is also OEM to the later engines, it stands to reason that the compression will be increased, which will result in more bang... how much, I don't know.

I had a decked block and a skimmed head so two very clean surfaces to work with - I did also use a non-air setting flange sealer so the MLS made sense to fit ;)

Found my pictures...

Sorry got measurements slightly wrong... 1.91mm for the fibre one... 1.05 for the MLS - no idea what the fella in that link was measuring but the MLS is thinner.

He measured a previously used gasket as they're designed to crush and only measured the fire rings around the cylinder

Ive got some German Dirko HT (High Tempature) for my Shrick manifold gasket I got off Bar Tek, but I think it would be good with a head gasket to, not 100 percent sure though it is apparently the bees knees. Readily available in the UK.

Data sheet below.

http://www.elring.com/fileadmin/Dateiablage_DE/2Service/Datenblaetter/Technische_Dichtmassen/Dirko_HT/TD_Dirko_HT_EN_02-2017.pdf

So he measured a crushed gasket at 1.6mm - the MLS on the fire rings uncrushed is only 1.05.. and the rings are raised so I would think it definitely crushes to under 1mm - there is absolutely no way the MLS even fresh out of the pack is anywhere near 1.65mm as he states.