Keyo

Black magic returns home

You also need to test if it gives you 3 speeds. 2 off the rad sender plug and one off the black plug on the thermostat housing. 

2 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Put a pick up of the plug on the back of it mate

Ok chap like three cables with males and females ? 

One thing I can say is the fan is very heavy indeed which is a good sign of quality and bares the Hella hall marks. 

Thanks

2 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

You also need to test if it gives you 3 speeds. 2 off the rad sender plug and one off the black plug on the thermostat housing. 

Im not sure I will be able to check speeds as wouldn't really want to go past setting 1 due to fan not cooling rad.  .

You don’t get the engine hot. You need a wire to bridge the contacts in the plug. 
Instead of the test light you will have the fan plugged in, you’ve probably got the later fan plug but the idea is the same. Bridge the speeds one at a time. 75EA3DFD-5D1B-4932-B606-3F9C6B78A9AB.thumb.jpeg.87c372e15fdefb7c507751d576843df8.jpeg

Maybe I read this wrong but you just want to be sure that it works before installing it mate? If it was me, I would just wire it straight to the battery to confirm the motor spins. The other speeds settings are sensor or fuse related and not a fan issue. If it doesn't work on stage 2 or 3, that as nothing to do with the fan itself and a different trouble shooting is required. 

Hopefully that helps, if not I'm sorry! Cheers 

15 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Ok chap like three cables with males and females ? 

One thing I can say is the fan is very heavy indeed which is a good sign of quality and bares the Hella hall marks. 

Thanks

A picture of the back of the fan where your car plugs in

Just now, ABV-VR6 said:

Maybe I read this wrong but you just want to be sure that it works before installing it mate? If it was me, I would just wire it straight to the battery to confirm the motor spins. The other speeds settings are sensor or fuse related and not a fan issue. If it doesn't work on stage 2 or 3, that as nothing to do with the fan itself and a different trouble shooting is required. 

Hopefully that helps, if not I'm sorry! Cheers 

Thanks chap Im pretty certain the new fan will work and just want to make sure it comes on through the different settings as when the sensors ecu instruct it to on various coolant temperatures. 

7 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

A picture of the back of the fan where your car plugs in

I was thinking attach three female to the fan plug and then three males to the plug loom on to  three lines of cable. 

Or if loom cable is long enough put fan in my old fan should and hold the frame  above engine bay and see if fan comes on. 

fan.jpg

Edited by Keyo

2 minutes ago, Keyo said:

I was thinking attach three female to the fan plug and then three males to the plug loom on to  three lines of cable. 

Or if loom cable is long enough put fan in my old fan should and hold the frame  above engine bay and see if fan comes on. 

There should be FOUR terminals on the back of that fan. Take a bloody photo. 

Just now, 1xshaunx1 said:

There should be FOUR terminals on the back of that fan. Take a bloody photo. 

Yes I know there is four on factory but is it possible that it can still work with three pins as the electrics may be different in the fan unit

12 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Yes I know there is four on factory but is it possible that it can still work with three pins as the electrics may be different in the fan unit

This is why I never went and bought one. 
I can’t see how it will give you three speeds without a different control unit, the power pin  to 1st or 2nd speed is missing. You definitely need to test it as nothing may happen when one of them two come on. 

2 minutes ago, Keyo said:

sure thats why Im posting will test it in the next week or so. 

I’m glad you have posted mate. It’s been a part a few have asked about but never posted about a solution or bad buys, so either way this will help loads now and future. 

So the black and red cable on picture is the one from the missing power plug which is at the bottom pin  

Also picture showing that the unit physically fits an old shroud I have. 

Also picture of loom plug bottom middle connector would be black and red cable. 

fan1.jpg

fan2.jpg

loom plug.jpg

Edited by Keyo

4 minutes ago, Keyo said:

So the black and red cable on picture is the one from the missing power plug which is at the bottom pin  

Also picture showing that the unit physically fits an old shroud I have. 

Also picture of loom plug bottom middle connector would be black and rec cable. 

fan1.jpg

fan2.jpg

loom plug.jpg

Looking at what I was testing, I think you are missing 2nd speed 

11 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Looking at what I was testing, I think you are missing 2nd speed 

The only thing I can hope for and this is coming from someone is absolutely shit with electrics is that some how the electrics inside the fan unit can determine off the other three cable speed settings. grrrr why can the b....... just have 4 pins !  Have an old grotty stock motor but nothing worse then putting a 27  year old part on your . 

Edited by Keyo

3 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Brown is earth the other thick wire red/green  is speed 3

What is red and white cable for the top connector  setting 1 ? 

Edited by Keyo

FFS just noticed the plastic lug is missing on the bottom of the loom plug as well - the last owners mechanic who put the alloy rad in needs a slap 😂 Broke 3 out of for tabs. 

Edited by Keyo

1 minute ago, Keyo said:

The only thing I can hope for and this is coming from someone is absolutely shit with electrics is that some how the electrics inside the fan unit can determine off the other three cable speed settings. grrrr why can the b....... just have 4 pins !  Have an old grottu stock motor but nothing worse then putting a  year old part on your . 

If you look in the photo I posted, I think I was testing for speed one with a lamp to make sure that end was ok, it may have been speed 2 by t I don’t think so. Anyway red/ white 1

red/ black 2

red/green 3

brown - earth

24- 18 months ago I became a blumin expert on how this stuff should work, I didn’t want it that way 😖

You could fit a resistor to give 3 speeds from a 2 speed fan - dependant on how fast the fans turn (too slow wouldn't be worth it)?

You could wire 1 to slow, 2 to fast and 3 to a warning buzzer hidden behind the dash (you might want to attach a defibrillator in case it gives you a heart attack when if goes off - if you've ever heard the low oil pressure warning buzzer you'll know what I mean lol)?

1 hour ago, Dox said:

You could fit a resistor to give 3 speeds from a 2 speed fan - dependant on how fast the fans turn (too slow wouldn't be worth it)?

You could wire 1 to slow, 2 to fast and 3 to a warning buzzer hidden behind the dash (you might want to attach a defibrillator in case it gives you a heart attack when if goes off - if you've ever heard the low oil pressure warning buzzer you'll know what I mean lol)?

Dox  I've gave up going to call Vince tomorrow surely he must of encountered the 3 and 4 pin issue. Yes that buzzer is horrible on the Mk2 had a bad female connector on the pressure switch. 

From what I learnt tonight my spare motor fan I got in a parts hoard that came out of double VR shroud had part number 357959455K - after researching found it was from a seat or polo.It had four pins. Must of worked though. Obsolete now. 

I have studied etka and

VR up to this chassis S 6000 has part number 357959455J (now obsolete from vag) power output  350/250 /80

Bizarrely from chassis   S 6001 has part number 357959455L still available for a whopping £400.00 from classics - Im not sure if this is a 3 or 4 pin . Power Output 450/250/80

For all these VR fans though from this era doing cross referencing on part websites they all seem to sell the fan motors with three pins and not four! . Also shove all these part numbers together for the same fan power outputs of 450/250/80 

P,.s anyone know the last chassis number for a Corrado not many would have had the part number with L. 

Tonedef isn't yours a very late one ? 

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/lufter-c032e4.html

Edited by Keyo

Just now, Dox said:

So can you find the speeds for the 2 speed fan?

Yes I can do for an early VR or 4 pot ?