Keyo

Black magic returns home

Part of EU law I believe is that manufactures need to supply parts for 15 from production end of a vehicle. After that you are in the hands of the gods. 

I think it might only be 10. If you are lucky the parts will be in demand due to the number of cars sold, and they will sell off tooling, patents and licensing to aftermarket manufacturers - almost never happens with expensive to reproduce or rare stuff like model specific trim.

So fan arrived today and its a success -has 4 pins . Also got a new plug and fittings. 

Youll see your fan has a K last number but that is obsolete- only difference is this fan is for cars with towing and hot climate so setting three is 450 watt rather then  350 watt so bonus really. 

Highly recommend the Latvian seller on ebay - quicker then Heritage by weeks and also on many occasions seems to have the last couple of stock pieces even if classics do not have them- great seller.  I know Sean uses them as well. 

ff.jpg

ff1.jpg

ff2.jpg

Edited by Keyo

4 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Very nice and looks correct. How much did it end up costing in the end?

Think it cost in total around £260 - but from what I can see is the only OE fitting fan motor in the world ha.(with 4 pins) This fan will probably out live me I guess as well as proper Bosch not like the modern stuff. 

That's not too bad then. Is this the guy who sells on eBay or is there a web site? PM me details please if you can - I'm hunting for a VDO pump again!

1 minute ago, fendervg said:

That's not too bad then. Is this the guy who sells on eBay or is there a web site? PM me details please if you can - I'm hunting for a VDO pump again!

This is the seller mate. You might see them as a few different names but they are all the same company. Had a few things now off them some been the last couple of parts available before they go obsolete. Seem to have there own stock or an agreement off the Classics that they reserve a couple of everything for them . 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/tshopabs

Well done for managing to get one.

Question though. Will the power cable for the third Speed handle the  increase in amps or will it get hot and melt the plug if it comes on for any length of time ?

17 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Question though. Will the power cable for the third Speed handle the  increase in amps or will it get hot and melt the plug if it comes on for any length of time ?

Im not electrical expert far from it in fact but the fan is 12v so it think that is the important thing. Cant see it been an issue as its a superseded part number for fan ending with J- after studying diagram you can see its in the same section as normal abv (not towing and hot climate) however has been uprated to top power of 450 same as the towing in warm climate fan . 

https://www.ilcats.ru/vw/?function=getParts&market=RDW&model=COR&modelcode=76&year=1995&group=9&subgroup=959&part=238000&language=en

1 hour ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

What do the twin slimline fans take in power on setting 3 as that is two motors running at the same time whereas the stock set up is just one motor? I like the stock set up be honest as the slimline are to noisy for me tbh. 

1 hour ago, Keyo said:

What do the twin slimline fans take in power on setting 3 as that is two motors running at the same time whereas the stock set up is just one motor? I like the stock set up be honest as the slimline are to noisy for me tbh. 

Got mine running off of relays with their own fuse triggered by the oem fan set up and plug so I didn’t draw too much power through the oem wiring. Not an expert either bet cressa has a better idea

2 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Got mine running off of relays with their own fuse triggered by the oem fan set up and plug so I didn’t draw too much power through the oem wiring. Not an expert either bet cressa has a better idea

🤣🤣 Dont bring me into this 😇.

So 350 is about 30A

450 is upto 38A 

What size fuse is protecting the circuit, is it the flat fuse link on the FCM. I would have to check the wiring diagram for cable sizes, although there are some big cables at the motor plug. 

Worth a dry run connecting to the wiring and linking out the sensors to make it run

11 hours ago, Cressa said:

🤣🤣 Dont bring me into this 😇.

So 350 is about 30A

450 is upto 38A 

What size fuse is protecting the circuit, is it the flat fuse link on the FCM. I would have to check the wiring diagram for cable sizes, although there are some big cables at the motor plug. 

Worth a dry run connecting to the wiring and linking out the sensors to make it run

Sounds like your capable of working it out so waiting for calcs mate thanks ha -  the wiring is beefy as you say. 

My fcm is part number 3AO 919 506 .

There is also a control unit available with the same part number above but with a A on the end - maybe the fan control unit would be more suitable 

fc1.jpg

fc.jpg

Edited by Keyo

I think your controller will be ok. It’s the fusing and wiring I was thinking about. 
If it goes wrong it could be spectacular and you could probably do without that

32 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I think your controller will be ok. It’s the fusing and wiring I was thinking about. 
If it goes wrong it could be spectacular and you could probably do without that

Which fuse are you on about the one in the fan controller?  Im pretty sure I will be fine as the fan I purchased  wouldn't be on etka as a superseded part for a manual vr6 without aircon and towing.  

Edited by Keyo

Also aftermarket selling  fans with only 3 pins are rated at up to 450 w  and would of been speed setting two that would of not worked 3 fine. 

Table below off etka cleanly shows the fan I have purchased. 

fnn.jpg

fnn2.jpg

Than new fan is very nice Keyo! 

How did you managed to find that connector? Mine is burned and could not find a replacement anywhere, I bough a used one! 

6 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Than new fan is very nice Keyo! 

How did you managed to find that connector? Mine is burned and could not find a replacement anywhere, I bough a used one! 

Thanks ABV. 

Of course chap here is the link off ebay- it includes all the seals and connectors as well- I think it is OE as well because has the orange seal inside plug same as vag. 

Part number is 1H0973204

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1H0973204-1H0-973-204-4-WAY-CONNECTOR-KIT-Inc-Terminals-and-Seals-4-AC278/233324341480

This is the company that sells them- they have many vag plugs in stock. 

https://www.auto-click.co.uk/

Thanks so much Keyo! Just ordered two! I'll go check what else they have now! Cheers 

1 minute ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks so much Keyo! Just ordered two! I'll go check what else they have now! Cheers 

No worries chap- etka show the looms under electrical and also show part number for plugs which is listed on the click site. 

I looked in the past but on ebay.com; the UK ebay has different parts and don't always show up on .com 

Anyways, thank you really appreciate it! 

Crazy you can buy these genuine parts but not a quality rad- Classics should get a quality one made up as they are the most common thing to fail in the cooling system .  Even the metal fan shroud is available believe it or not. 

fa5.jpg

Edited by Keyo

14 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

That's going to make a fantastic fan combo mate! 

Thanks mate should never need to ever worry about the fans as the old Bosch ones are going strong still although I just has an engine rebuild and it made sense to replace 25 year old fans- its just the plastic tabs that brake on the old ones and Im sure they are not going to last for ever.so thought get a 4 pin fan whilst you - I have not seen any other available worldwide in 4 [in - there may only be a few of these left at classics . 

Edited by Keyo