culshaw

Stumped by the stereo wiring

Hi there,

I've recently tried to tackle my lack of a stereo, it works as I tried it my other car.

I've traced and the switch ignition (red/brown) all the way to the ignition switch and it buzzes out ok.

I've done the same with the red/white to the back of the fuse box. Ground buzzes out on other grounds too.

So I'm a little stumped what to do, when lights are on it lights up (grey/blue illumination), when battery is connected security light flashes.

Anything I'm not doing that I should be? I've used this wiring diagram https://imgur.com/Q7rOWsk

What make stereo is it? IGN+ and BATT+ usually need to be reversed to work an aftermarket unit properly.

VW Gamma from a mk4 golf

Have a look at these and see if they help...

I'll also try and PM you another PDF I have with more details on the Gamma in English - it's too large to attach here.

Actually, PM me with an email address if you need it - can't attach files to PMs.

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdf

That PDF doesn't seem to work fender.

Try this: https://pinoutguide.com/Car-Stereo-Volkswagen-Porsche/Volkswagen_Gamma_VWZ1Z3_H_pinout.shtml

If it's lighting up, powered up etc. I'd hazard a guess and say the pins are wrong on the plug into the head unit itself. Even if ignition live & permanent were mixed up it would still fire up.

Yeah, I don't think the attach feature is working properly since the last set of forum issues - it also won't let me upload a jpg, keeps complaining that it's not a valid file, even though I know I have attached the self-same image to another post before.

I sent culshaw another doc I have, so hopefully that might help with the pinout. One thought I had - is it possible that it's code disabled? In that case you need to leave it powered on for a long time before it resets itself.

That PDF doesn't seem to work fender.

Try this: https://pinoutguide.com/Car-Stereo-Volkswagen-Porsche/Volkswagen_Gamma_VWZ1Z3_H_pinout.shtml

If it's lighting up, powered up etc. I'd hazard a guess and say the pins are wrong on the plug into the head unit itself. Even if ignition live & permanent were mixed up it would still fire up.

It lights up as in if you turn on your lights, it'll illuminate.

It doesn't get backlit, the only indication it's receiving power is a flashing security light

I think it's definitely getting power, because i've blown a fuse when two wires touched, after that. I've disconnected the battery like a good boy

See in the link I attached, I'm betting you've got the first 2 wires on top row connected and 1st wire on second row connected. Check the 3rd wire along on top row as that's your ignition live

Thanks guys,

I've followed that pinout guide to no avail. I did some more voltmeter investigations.

ignition to stereo buzzes out (i expect this is normal) - reading of around 0.07

ignition to r/wh (perm live) when turned to accessory position buzzes out - reading of -0.05

^ I have a feeling this is not normal

Also switched the wires around between perm live and ignition to see if security light flashes when key in accessory position, it didn't flash.

Could something be shorting?

Do you only have 5 wires(ub+, safe, gnd, illumination, s-cont) connected to the power connector in the back of the radio?

I would remove power connector from the rear of the headunit. With key removed from ignition and light switch set to off test voltage at all pins in the power harness. Only ub+(red/white) and safe(colour?, beside ub+) should have 12v.

Insert key and turn to acc and test all pins again. Only Ub+, safe and s-cont(red/yellow should have 12v.

Then turn on light switch and check that there is power to illumination pin(grey/blue).

\Paddy

Do you only have 5 wires(ub+, safe, gnd, illumination, s-cont) connected to the power connector in the back of the radio?

I would remove power connector from the rear of the headunit. With key removed from ignition and light switch set to off test voltage at all pins in the power harness. Only ub+(red/white) and safe(colour?, beside ub+) should have 12v.

Insert key and turn to acc and test all pins again. Only Ub+, safe and s-cont(red/yellow should have 12v.

Then turn on light switch and check that there is power to illumination pin(grey/blue).

\Paddy

Hi Paddy,

Thanks for posting this, I only have 4 wires connected, gala is tucked away

With lights off keys out only red/wh has 12v

With ignition to acc only red/wh has 12v, s-cont has nothing.

Illumination has voltage when light switch on

Safe (black on my loom) has no reading at any position

S-cont to ignition switch has 0.7 resistance reading

Behind the ignition switch it gets hairy with some soldered and taped off blocks, unsure if something could be interfering.

They seem to be splitting off the really thick red wire into ignition, but are taped well.

I'm confused now - what is meant by "safe" here? Is that not a battery earth? Any VW radios I've seen only have a permanent 12v+ feed from the battery, and the same from the switched ignition (s-cont) when key is turned to position 1. This turns the radio on and off. There is no third 12v wire. It sounds like you might have a faulty connection back to the ignition switch - and the fact that you have a lot of tape there looks like maybe an alarm installer was at it. You'll need to trace that wire all the way back and test. Alternatively, you can fool the radio into thinking it's alive by splitting the battery feed into two and connecting the other to the s-cont on the radio - you can still turn it off using the power button.

I'm in the airport so I can't recheck now but I got the info above after reading the gamma radio wiring diagram. If you Google for it you should be able to find it. I'll check it later myself anyway.

\Paddy

The pin-out should be on a sticker on the radio - but if there's no voltage on the ignition wire, then that's most likely the issue.

Yea I think it's definitely the issue, I'm just confused to how it's not getting voltage.

Tried the perm live trick but that didn't work either.

Will check the sticker on the radio later

Thanks again