Earwig

Who PM'd Kevin Bacon recently about an R32 intake/silicon elbow?

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

You wouldn't dream pick a fight with that big porker!

Is it me or are most of the best alloys for a Rado 4 stud.

Love the BBS RM

BBS RS

Sebrings

BBS RA

Kev can I ask you a bit of history of the VSR .

How much was it new?

Where did you order it from.

Approx how many units were sold.

Cheers.

Edited by Keyo

Not Kev - I think the VSR was roughly 1500 euro new back in the day, but it would have been DM, old money, and you need to adjust for inflation. I've seen a figure of approx. 500 made, maybe less, but not sure how reliable that is.

From another site:

"Limited by the transverse mounting of the engine, there isn't much room for generous inlet manifolding. In order to achieve a good compromise between maximum power output, and adequate torque in day to day use, the inlet manifold runs across the top of the head. This has circumvented the shortage of space and allowed the use of an oscillating-flow tuned inlet manifold. Each cylinder has its own inlet tract that is tuned to such a length as to en- sure positive inlet pressure. As engine output is proportional to the airflow, this scheme means that the VR6 doesn't have to be ashamed in the face of competitors. The 2.8 litre produces 174 PS [ DIN hp] and a maximum torque of 240 Nm at 4200 RPM, and the 2.9 litre engine in the Corrado achieves 245 Nm at the same engine speed. But this achievement wasn't enough to satisfy the Wolfsburg developers. To achieve even more torque, lower down in the rev range, the 6 cylinders were to breathe even more freely. The idea of the variable inlet manifold [ german "variables Saugrohr" ] was born and developed in parallel with the now standard version, with assistance from the Pierburg GmbH in Neuss, a company which has a high reputation with things relating to mixture control. The VSR [ abbreviated from the german ] system did not go into, falling victim to the red pens of accountants shortly before the VR6 started production. That this piece of motor technology was not condemned to the depths of the Wolfsburg catacombs, is thanks to the interests of Volkswagen Motorsport, based in Hannover. This VW company took the VSR and now offers it as an after-market conversion kit for 2888 Marks. The kit may be fitted to all VR6s with 2.8 and 2.9 litre engines.

Even though the VSR achieves similar aims to those of the switch- ing inlet manifold of the 2.8 litre V6s from Audi, the operating principle is different. In the Audi engine, a long, narrow inlet tract achieves high torque at low revs; 245 Nm at 3000 RPM. The maximum power is achieved using a short, wide inlet tract, pro- ducing 174 PS at 5500 RPM. For the engine to be fed through the appropriate channels, depending on engine speed, inlet manifolds are switched using six individual, vacuum operated flaps at 4000 RPM. In both stages, the technology is based purely on tuned oscillating-flow in- let manifolds, with the necessary switching.

The VSR in contrast, two diverse technologies are applied. It is designed so that at low engine speeds, resonance is used to im- prove cylinder charging efficiency -- at higher RPM, oscillation- tuned, individual, broad tracts are used. Switching from one to the other is achived by a single flap, also vaccuum operated at 4000 RPM. The tuned inlet tract operates by the low pressure caused between the throttle valve and the inlet valve, by the suction of the descending piston, Through inertia of the air in the tract, the airflow tends to keep moving towards the inlet, even after it's closed, causing a slight over-pressure when the inlet valve next opens. This ensures high charge efficiency even during early stages of the induction stroke. Of course, further during the same stroke, inlet pressure falls followed by a high pressure but not before the inlet valve closes.

In order to achieve optimal control of the oscillation and re- flection of the column of air in the inlet tract, it needs to be closely coordinated with valve timing, but this is not possible due to variation in engine speed. Even at mid-range-rpm, the valve opening and the are out of synch. The second pressure wave arrives much too early before the inlet valve closes and a back- flow reduces fill efficiency. Now to achieve high torque under these conditions, resonance-fill is utilised. This is done by closing the connection flap between a small resonance chamber which is immediately before short inlet tracts above the inlet valves. This transforms the 6 cylinder ending into effectively two 3 cylinder engines with uniform firing times, and which do not have overlapping inlet strokes. Resonance pulses of up to 0.4 bar [approx 6 psi] above atmospheric are achieved, leading to remarkable fill efficiency and torque increases.

Even though fitting the VSR requires not great skills, it should be undertaken by a professional with the right tools. For exam- ple, fitting the new EPROM and the new control harness requires dexterity and special tools. The new chip doesn't alter the previously-programmed behaviour of the engine management, it only adds an additional control output for the electrically- controlled, vacuum operated flap. The kit includes instructions as to complete installion, including connections to the vaccum circuit and electrical connections.

Further engine modifications are not required, so one is permit- ted to anticipate the VSR transformation. A marked improvement in torque at mid-range is advertised with 255 Nm available at 3600 RPM on the 2.8 litre engine. This corresponds to an 11% increase at that engine speed. In the 2.9 litre incarnation, 260 Nm is available, providing more performance in the most-used rev range. There is no promise of more power in the higher RPM range.

To illustrate the performance improvement in a VSR Golf, one doesn't need any test equipment! Almost right from the start, at below 3000 RPM, a new urge is sensed. Up to 4000 RPM the engine provides markedly better acceleration, yet above, the previously expected manners appear because the torque curve corresponds to that of the standard engine. Even more! After the impetuous ac- celeration, the switchover feels almost reserved. The steeply in- creasing torque curve up to 3600 RPM also shows a rapid fall back to the norm between 3600 and 4000 RPM. The torque improvement is an excellent fit to the Golf VR6.

In fourth gear, the torque boost corresponds to 90 to 120 kmh, in fifth to 110 to 150 kmh. This turns the Golf into a sprinter, that none of the near-200 PS professionally tuned chariots comes near. Testign showed that acceleration from 90 to 120 kmh in fourth gear only took 5.4 seconds. The standard VR6 Golf took 6.1 seconds and a near-200 PS Oettinger VR6 Golf taking 6.4 seconds, and a Wendland special taking 6.2 seconds. No wonder be- cause their maximum torque happens at much higher RPM.

Unremarkably, the VSR trick didn't improve peak acceleration or top speed, both of these being exclusively in the higher rev range.

The VR6 opens up a new field for Volkswagen Motorsport tuning. This is appropriate when one expects high torque for comfortable and sporty driving. It's even more attractive because testing showed reduced fuel consumption by half a litre [ per 100 km ]. On the other hand, the VSR offers professional tuners an innova- tive platform for development - as some of them have already in- dicated"

Not Kev - I think the VSR was roughly 1500 euro new back in the day, but it would have been DM, old money, and you need to adjust for inflation. I've seen a figure of approx. 500 made, maybe less, but not sure how reliable that is.

From another site:

"Limited by the transverse mounting of the engine, there isn't much room for generous inlet manifolding. In order to achieve a good compromise between maximum power output, and adequate torque in day to day use, the inlet manifold runs across the top of the head. This has circumvented the shortage of space and allowed the use of an oscillating-flow tuned inlet manifold. Each cylinder has its own inlet tract that is tuned to such a length as to en- sure positive inlet pressure. As engine output is proportional to the airflow, this scheme means that the VR6 doesn't have to be ashamed in the face of competitors. The 2.8 litre produces 174 PS [ DIN hp] and a maximum torque of 240 Nm at 4200 RPM, and the 2.9 litre engine in the Corrado achieves 245 Nm at the same engine speed. But this achievement wasn't enough to satisfy the Wolfsburg developers. To achieve even more torque, lower down in the rev range, the 6 cylinders were to breathe even more freely. The idea of the variable inlet manifold [ german "variables Saugrohr" ] was born and developed in parallel with the now standard version, with assistance from the Pierburg GmbH in Neuss, a company which has a high reputation with things relating to mixture control. The VSR [ abbreviated from the german ] system did not go into, falling victim to the red pens of accountants shortly before the VR6 started production. That this piece of motor technology was not condemned to the depths of the Wolfsburg catacombs, is thanks to the interests of Volkswagen Motorsport, based in Hannover. This VW company took the VSR and now offers it as an after-market conversion kit for 2888 Marks. The kit may be fitted to all VR6s with 2.8 and 2.9 litre engines.

Even though the VSR achieves similar aims to those of the switch- ing inlet manifold of the 2.8 litre V6s from Audi, the operating principle is different. In the Audi engine, a long, narrow inlet tract achieves high torque at low revs; 245 Nm at 3000 RPM. The maximum power is achieved using a short, wide inlet tract, pro- ducing 174 PS at 5500 RPM. For the engine to be fed through the appropriate channels, depending on engine speed, inlet manifolds are switched using six individual, vacuum operated flaps at 4000 RPM. In both stages, the technology is based purely on tuned oscillating-flow in- let manifolds, with the necessary switching.

The VSR in contrast, two diverse technologies are applied. It is designed so that at low engine speeds, resonance is used to im- prove cylinder charging efficiency -- at higher RPM, oscillation- tuned, individual, broad tracts are used. Switching from one to the other is achived by a single flap, also vaccuum operated at 4000 RPM. The tuned inlet tract operates by the low pressure caused between the throttle valve and the inlet valve, by the suction of the descending piston, Through inertia of the air in the tract, the airflow tends to keep moving towards the inlet, even after it's closed, causing a slight over-pressure when the inlet valve next opens. This ensures high charge efficiency even during early stages of the induction stroke. Of course, further during the same stroke, inlet pressure falls followed by a high pressure but not before the inlet valve closes.

In order to achieve optimal control of the oscillation and re- flection of the column of air in the inlet tract, it needs to be closely coordinated with valve timing, but this is not possible due to variation in engine speed. Even at mid-range-rpm, the valve opening and the are out of synch. The second pressure wave arrives much too early before the inlet valve closes and a back- flow reduces fill efficiency. Now to achieve high torque under these conditions, resonance-fill is utilised. This is done by closing the connection flap between a small resonance chamber which is immediately before short inlet tracts above the inlet valves. This transforms the 6 cylinder ending into effectively two 3 cylinder engines with uniform firing times, and which do not have overlapping inlet strokes. Resonance pulses of up to 0.4 bar [approx 6 psi] above atmospheric are achieved, leading to remarkable fill efficiency and torque increases.

Even though fitting the VSR requires not great skills, it should be undertaken by a professional with the right tools. For exam- ple, fitting the new EPROM and the new control harness requires dexterity and special tools. The new chip doesn't alter the previously-programmed behaviour of the engine management, it only adds an additional control output for the electrically- controlled, vacuum operated flap. The kit includes instructions as to complete installion, including connections to the vaccum circuit and electrical connections.

Further engine modifications are not required, so one is permit- ted to anticipate the VSR transformation. A marked improvement in torque at mid-range is advertised with 255 Nm available at 3600 RPM on the 2.8 litre engine. This corresponds to an 11% increase at that engine speed. In the 2.9 litre incarnation, 260 Nm is available, providing more performance in the most-used rev range. There is no promise of more power in the higher RPM range.

To illustrate the performance improvement in a VSR Golf, one doesn't need any test equipment! Almost right from the start, at below 3000 RPM, a new urge is sensed. Up to 4000 RPM the engine provides markedly better acceleration, yet above, the previously expected manners appear because the torque curve corresponds to that of the standard engine. Even more! After the impetuous ac- celeration, the switchover feels almost reserved. The steeply in- creasing torque curve up to 3600 RPM also shows a rapid fall back to the norm between 3600 and 4000 RPM. The torque improvement is an excellent fit to the Golf VR6.

In fourth gear, the torque boost corresponds to 90 to 120 kmh, in fifth to 110 to 150 kmh. This turns the Golf into a sprinter, that none of the near-200 PS professionally tuned chariots comes near. Testign showed that acceleration from 90 to 120 kmh in fourth gear only took 5.4 seconds. The standard VR6 Golf took 6.1 seconds and a near-200 PS Oettinger VR6 Golf taking 6.4 seconds, and a Wendland special taking 6.2 seconds. No wonder be- cause their maximum torque happens at much higher RPM.

Unremarkably, the VSR trick didn't improve peak acceleration or top speed, both of these being exclusively in the higher rev range.

The VR6 opens up a new field for Volkswagen Motorsport tuning. This is appropriate when one expects high torque for comfortable and sporty driving. It's even more attractive because testing showed reduced fuel consumption by half a litre [ per 100 km ]. On the other hand, the VSR offers professional tuners an innova- tive platform for development - as some of them have already in- dicated"

Thanks Fen Ill have a good read of that.

I noticed on an old thread today that you have some VDO gauges chap ? Very nice.

Yeah, I'm one of the lucky few - got the from ARZ-Tuning in Germany back in 2009 for about 200 euro - at the time they had both LHD and RHD versions in stock - it's a real pain that they are sided.

These gauges should have come standard with all Corrados - it was supposed to be their high end sports coupe after all - a lot of other manufacturers used to make their cars "sporty" by sticking in a set of gauges, but VW were always notoriously stingy when it came to extras.

Yeah, I'm one of the lucky few - got the from ARZ-Tuning in Germany back in 2009 for about 200 euro - at the time they had both LHD and RHD versions in stock - it's a real pain that they are sided.

These gauges should have come standard with all Corrados - it was supposed to be their high end sports coupe after all - a lot of other manufacturers used to make their cars "sporty" by sticking in a set of gauges, but VW were always notoriously stingy when it came to extras.

All I can say on this matter is I want a set lol ! Is there a part number on the RHD side ones as Im on the hunt for a set and do not want to end up with a LHD set that I would be unable to house in my car.

Me too Keyo . I love my period cassette holder but the gauges would be fantastic. You can’t really go wrong when looking. Apart from remortgaging the house you can tell by the shape of them .

Hmm - checked my old invoice from ARZ but the only part number on that was their own internal one - actual price was €179.

The part number seems to be:

536 919 527 - RHD

535 919 527 - LHD

Glwsearch

Hi Mart ,

There is a different part number , and the magic number for RHD is 536919527

LHD is 535919527

Me too Keyo . I love my period cassette holder but the gauges would be fantastic. You can’t really go wrong when looking. Apart from remortgaging the house you can tell by the shape of them .

They are great lets be honest.

Hmm - checked my old invoice from ARZ but the only part number on that was their own internal one - actual price was €179.

The part number seems to be:

536 919 527 - RHD

535 919 527 - LHD

Glwsearch

179 Euro was that with the sensors and cabling etc ? what do they go for now adding on scene tax/

How come ARZ sold them were they the last OE stock in Germany they got hold of ?

Cheers.

If you do a search on here, it looks like Heritage were still selling them (the last 3 sets) in 2012. As far as I know Classic Parts did a limited run of them in the late noughties due to demand.

No, that was without the sensors - some cars had the loom pre-wired, but you could buy the connector separately and make up your own loom, it's really easy, just one wire needs to go through the bulkhead for the sender - and they can be any VDO pressure sender, either using a T-piece or a two pole sender for the low pressure warning - a lot of old Audi Coupes/80/90 that had gauges fitted also had the two pole senders.

As for value now, who knows seeing as they are unobtainium now - I've seen them go for over £300-400 used, but I would say £200-250 is fair. They are very nice to have. The real shame is that every VR6 SLC in the US had them as standard, but they are LHD!

If you do a search on here, it looks like Heritage were still selling them (the last 3 sets) in 2012. As far as I know Classic Parts did a limited run of them in the late noughties due to demand.

No, that was without the sensors - some cars had the loom pre-wired, but you could buy the connector separately and make up your own loom, it's really easy, just one wire needs to go through the bulkhead for the sender - and they can be any VDO pressure sender, either using a T-piece or a two pole sender for the low pressure warning - a lot of old Audi Coupes/80/90 that had gauges fitted also had the two pole senders.

As for value now, who knows seeing as they are unobtainium now - I've seen them go for over £300-400 used, but I would say £200-250 is fair. They are very nice to have. The real shame is that every VR6 SLC in the US had them as standard, but they are LHD!

That is a sucker so the LHD are a hell of alot easier to obtain but do not fit RHD. I believe they sold the Corrado in Japan, I wonder if they have some RHD ones :scratch:

I never had a VSR but I did have a Schrick VGI. Same thing really but not as OEM looking. The engineers wanted all VR6s to have the VSR as standard to make it more competitive against the 328i coupe, Nissan 200SX, Calibra V6 etc, but the accountants vetoed it. So we got a relatively torque light engine as a result. Well, the numbers are there but nothing interesting happens until 4000rpm. The VSR/VGI moves the torque band further down the revs but a remap is essential, otherwise it just detonates and the ECU cuts all the gains you would normally get from it. Still, VW didn't make that mistake again and all 24V VR6s got a variable intake!

I was only ever impressed by one VR6 with a Schrick VGI, and it wasn't mine! That thing had torque everywhere and felt proper punchy. Mine never felt like that. It must have been a friday afternoon engine :lol: