fendervg

02A shift linkage repair and refurbishment

Hi all,

Just putting together a list of parts to refurbish the sloppy gear shift linkage (cable) on my VR6. New gearbox oil and linkage adjustment are already on the list, but it's likely to need more than that to get it right.

Just wondering if anyone can help with a list of part numbers and where to source items like the bracket and bushings?

Cheers.

Presume you are wanting to keep it all original but I would 100% recommend binning it off and going 02J, it not only improves the throw in all directions but makes everything nice and solid again. Bonus being all mk4 parts are dead easy to come by and it all looks original anyway

Presume you are wanting to keep it all original but I would 100% recommend binning it off and going 02J, it not only improves the throw in all directions but makes everything nice and solid again. Bonus being all mk4 parts are dead easy to come by and it all looks original anyway

For now, just the linkage, keeping the current box - but tell me more? 02J with all the bits?

There's a DIY guide on here but basically it's a polo/lupo shifter & mk4 shifter tower and swap them over. People say you need the polo/lupo shifter casing and mk4 internals but I sourced a full polo shifter and couldn't see any difference between that and the mk4 stuff so just fitted the full polo shifter.

The MK4 shift tower comes in an early ball joint setup and a later pin type setup, I preferred the pin type as in my mind there is less to wear. I also added a mk1 TT shifter weight to shorten the throw even more.

End result, everything I bought was second hand and it's all solid and the throw in all directions is massively improved, I don't feel like I'm going to wrap my knuckles on the dash or reach into the boot when changing to 2nd.

There's a DIY guide on here but basically it's a polo/lupo shifter & mk4 shifter tower and swap them over. People say you need the polo/lupo shifter casing and mk4 internals but I sourced a full polo shifter and couldn't see any difference between that and the mk4 stuff so just fitted the full polo shifter.

The MK4 shift tower comes in an early ball joint setup and a later pin type setup, I preferred the pin type as in my mind there is less to wear. I also added a mk1 TT shifter weight to shorten the throw even more.

End result, everything I bought was second hand and it's all solid and the throw in all directions is massively improved, I don't feel like I'm going to wrap my knuckles on the dash or reach into the boot when changing to 2nd.

Do you have a part number here Dave? Or is it a Polo shifter from any year? thanks

Polo / Mk4 shifter housing are quite different, Polo one bolts straight in and Mk4 one can be made to fit with a little modding fairly easily. I bought the Polo housing direct from VW (plus one or two other bits you need, can't remember now but there's a thread somewhere detailing all part numbers), cost about £60 or £80 ish. Then transferred the cables over from the Mk4 one I got off a scrapper, pretty easy :)

Interested in doing this swap as well. Not the first time I'm reading about this being a nice improvement. I'll read more about it and keep an eye on this thread for sure. Cheers, JF

Sorry I get you now, I used the entire lupo shifter housing and mech with the mk4 tower, can't help with part numbers as I just went looking round a scrappy for a lupo with aluminium shifter housing. I already had the mk4 tower so didn't get the lupo tower but might be the same. Apparently you can get a full setup from an ibiza but not sure on that.

Quick one - will the Mk3 polo one fit? I think its a 9N0 or 9N3, from a 2002 model?

I'm thinking along the lines of replacing both the engine bay cable bushings and the gear stick side ones as a first port of call. I'll see what difference that makes after alignment and will take if from there to see if it's worth upgrading/changing the mechanism.

2 hours ago, fla said:

I don't think either of those are a direct fit to the Corrado tunnel? They look like standard mk4

You're looking for 02J gearbox to early style tunnel, ibiza cupra, TDi polo, ibiza etc

2 hours ago, Dox said:

I don't think either of those are a direct fit to the Corrado tunnel? They look like standard mk4

You're looking for 02J gearbox to early style tunnel, ibiza cupra, TDi polo, ibiza etc

Thanks Dox.

Just wondering though, would the internals of these not drop out and fit into a new Polo shifter box?  I guess the other issue is to get the correct selector tower...

Hasan

Edited by fla

1 hour ago, fla said:

Thanks Dox.

Just wondering though, would the internals of these not drop out and fit into a new Polo shifter box?  I guess the other issue is to get the correct selector tower...

Hasan

The 3 polo bits are around £150 from vw, the part numbers I had saved in various forum threads all of which are now dead

2 minutes ago, fla said:

No worries I'll have a search for them. Btw the 2008 seat ibiza selector - will this be correct or us it too late a model?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264917793865

From memory the polo one is more compact front to back and is taller like the Corrado one

Thats great, thanks.

I've mailed a guy breaking a Mk4 golf gti (as suggested by swiftkid some months back!) and hopefully if he sends me a pic i can compare with the pic you've posted.

Hasan.

This is what you need from both the Polo and MK4:

Polo Parts(Required for direct Corrado tunnel fitment)

6N0-711-061-A  - Polo box housing
6N0-711-090-A  - Ground plate
6N0-711-611-C  - Selector arm (L-Bracket)
020-945-415-A - 02J to 02A reverse light switch adapter

MK4 02J Parts (Any Mk4 5 Speed 02J (1.8T/VR6/2.0/1.9TDI)

Shifter Box
Shifter Cables
02J Cable bracket
Selector tower

I've heard more than a few time that the selector tower interfere with the coolant hose so I bought a short shift kit that replaces it. On mine, I purchased all new bits from VW (all still available) and not that expensive. The shifter is installed and the Polo fits on the Corrado like it was meant to be. Hope this helps! Cheers

Thanks ABV - thats useful info.  I assume the original cable bracket cannot be used?

11 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

This is what you need from both the Polo and MK4:

Polo Parts(Required for direct Corrado tunnel fitment)

6N0-711-061-A  - Polo box housing
6N0-711-090-A  - Ground plate
6N0-711-611-C  - Selector arm (L-Bracket)
020-945-415-A - 02J to 02A reverse light switch adapter

MK4 02J Parts (Any Mk4 5 Speed 02J (1.8T/VR6/2.0/1.9TDI)

Shifter Box
Shifter Cables
02J Cable bracket
Selector tower

I've heard more than a few time that the selector tower interfere with the coolant hose so I bought a short shift kit that replaces it. On mine, I purchased all new bits from VW (all still available) and not that expensive. The shifter is installed and the Polo fits on the Corrado like it was meant to be. Hope this helps! Cheers

Great info, thanks

Happy to help!
I wanted to add something as well about the selector tower. I've heard from someone who made the conversion that it is possible to cut the tower with an hacksaw to clear the coolant hose. While this may not be the most elegant way to do it, it works and cost nothing. One could do that while waiting for a short shift kit to arrive as well if the car is a daily driver...

One last thing I need to say is I've heard also that there's two shifter cable colors. Some are white ( first generation) and some are black (second generation and I think from 2001 or 2002 and up) Anyways the year is not important, the important part to remember is that apparently the black ones have a very easy way to be adjusted and the extremities are replaceable. I also heard there was a slight difference in length and the black one suits better the Corrado but don't quote me on this as I have not verify this info myself. To be sure and simplify things, just get the black ones!

And if someone wants to go the route I went with all new parts, here's the list. If those parts are purchase from VW, then you have a brand new shifter box... And also, that leaves you to source only the two shifter cables (for the car side of the conversion) brief the cost of the parts vs a used box may be not so far apart depending of your source... That's what I did and I picked up the transmission side ( bracket, tower ) from the breaker.

1J0711112E - Shift Lever
1J0711699 - Bearing
1J0711067K - Bushing
1J0711067Q - Bushing
1J0711124 - Bushing
357711145C - Pressure Spring
1J0711047 - Sound Absorber
1J0711067L x2 - Bushings on transmission side
1J0711077B - Pin
N 10459201 - T25 Torx Screw
1J0711565 - Cover
N 90848201 x2 - T20 Torx Screws
N 90815903 - x4 Locking Clip
1J0711280B x4 - Clips for cables (2 on the box and 2 on cable bracket on transmission)
N 90833001 x2 - Locking Clips for Cables

I got all the Polo parts of eBay brand new. Source the parts separately, I found it cheaper than buying seller's pre made kits....

IMG_20200909_143347095.jpg

IMG_20200909_144244023.jpg