jadevolley

Help identifying missing front plastic molding

Hello. I am missing these bottom plastic molding from both sides of the bottom front area. Does anyone happen to have a part number and/or know it's purpose other than cosmetic? 

1994_volkswagen_corrado_vr6_1572200037599fa62642fullsizeoutput_696c.jpeg

They are described as air guides - I managed to get some from VW, but many years ago and I imagine they are obsolete now. Most cars wouldn't have them on any more as they need to come off to remove the bumper for engine bay work and repairs, or get damaged on kerbs. I suppose they were an attempt to smooth the airflow underneath the engine, but I can't imagine they did much and were for visual effect only. I've no access to a parts catalogue to check the numbers for you, but someone else on here might be able to.

BTW, where is that picture of a lovely clean under body from? It almost sparkles.

You can still get the one side from Heritage but the other is obsolete.  Also behind that there should be a protective case for the pulley wheels and aux belt which is still available as well. 

Edited by Keyo

58 minutes ago, fendervg said:

They are described as air guides - I managed to get some from VW, but many years ago and I imagine they are obsolete now. Most cars wouldn't have them on any more as they need to come off to remove the bumper for engine bay work and repairs, or get damaged on kerbs. I suppose they were an attempt to smooth the airflow underneath the engine, but I can't imagine they did much and were for visual effect only. I've no access to a parts catalogue to check the numbers for you, but someone else on here might be able to.

BTW, where is that picture of a lovely clean under body from? It almost sparkles.

Thanks for all the useful info! In regards to that picture, I found it somewhere online. Its not my burgundy red '94, but I concur.... it is tidy.

33 minutes ago, Keyo said:

You can still get the one side from Heritage but the other is obsolete.  Also behind that there should be a protective case for the pulley wheels and aux belt which is still available as well. 

Luckily my Corrado's protective case for the pulley wheels and aux belt is intact and present. My goal is to fill in the holes and make my Corrado as stock as possible. Thanks for the useful links & info.

Also behind that there should be a protective case for the pulley wheels and aux belt which is still available as well. 

Is that for the VR, or all models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I spoke to Julian or Chris I think in sales at VW Heritage back in 2018, made enquiries about the left side one as it was listed on VW Classic Parts site, also asked regarding the right side one which wasn't and possibly still isn't listed on their site, was told that it is available and looked like Classic had remade them back in 2017/18, also was told there's early and late type air guides, as they had them listed for G60 including the air duct guide tube/s.

Might still be worth giving Heritage a call just in case, other than that it's like what Keyo has said could be obsolete again.

Hope this helps

Si 

Its always worth checking classics site because sometimes Heritage don't update their system that is is available. This the case with one of the window seals- and no not the widow scraper Im afraid but the surround window seal as only shows one is available and they still think only one is available !

I can tell you a part that some of you may never have spotted that might well be missing. There should be a rubber buffer either side under your spoiler on each corner. Amazingly one side is still available for a whopping 16 euro for a wee bit of rubber. 

2 hours ago, Tigerfish said:

Is that for the VR, or all models?

I think they are engine specific, but all cars should have some for of protection for the belts - the VR6 part is just for that engine arrangement, but I imagine there will be versions for the G60 and 16V too as  I know for certain that Mk2 GTI had one.

28 minutes ago, Keyo said:

I can tell you a part that some of you may never have spotted that might well be missing. There should be a rubber buffer either side under your spoiler on each corner. Amazingly one side is still available for a whopping 16 euro for a wee bit of rubber. 

Must check. Could just cut down one of these?

9256.jpg

Literally is just a bit of rubber with adhesive on the back. It will stop the corners of the spoiler getting scratched, I put mine back on with a combination of double sided 3m tape and tiger seal. 

No 19 on diagram.

As mentioned one is still available but silly money for what it is. 

Also has a sticky pad underneath it. 

.http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/COR/year/1995/drive_standart/76/hg_ug/827/subcategory/152010/part_id/3688633/lang/e

Edited by Keyo

2 hours ago, Keyo said:

Literally is just a bit of rubber with adhesive on the back. It will stop the corners of the spoiler getting scratched, I put mine back on with a combination of double sided 3m tape and tiger seal. 

No 19 on diagram.

As mentioned one is still available but silly money for what it is. 

Also has a sticky pad underneath it. 

.http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/COR/year/1995/drive_standart/76/hg_ug/827/subcategory/152010/part_id/3688633/lang/e

I've still got the rubbers, but lost one of the pads since the respray unfortunately

I think they are engine specific, but all cars should have some for of protection for the belts - the VR6 part is just for that engine arrangement, but I imagine there will be versions for the G60 and 16V too as  I know for certain that Mk2 GTI had one.

Thanks. I’ll have to do a bit of looking around. Definitely don’t have the pulley shield. The other two I’m not bothered about, but that one sounds a sensible thing to have in place.

Yes both are actually still available well found, For some reason Heritage only sell the one but could order one in with  free postage from classics. Awfully expensive for a bit of plastic. On ny R129 the trim was a lot more complex in the same place and about £25.00 new,  part prices are becoming tiring on these cars. 

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/luftfuehrung-9673f3.html