ABV-VR6

My long term VR6 Project

Good work, keep it up and I look forward to watching this progress. The cable connectors at the top of the struts are for the front ABS sensors. One goes down to each front hub and the other side of the connector joins the ABS loom.

Good stuff. 
the plug is the same as that on a VW sharan as in but you want the bit attached to the loom of the car

9354A688-9731-4769-8FF2-0E2A74EBC646.jpeg

F138B3A3-DD28-4650-A362-2B96ABD2877E.png

10 hours ago, seanl82 said:

Good work, keep it up and I look forward to watching this progress. The cable connectors at the top of the struts are for the front ABS sensors. One goes down to each front hub and the other side of the connector joins the ABS loom.

Thanks mate! I'll do my best to keep it interesting. I really appreciate  the help, now I know what it is for. If I can find all the parts to do the conversion to non-abs then these could go as well! Cheers

5 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Good stuff. 
the plug is the same as that on a VW sharan as in but you want the bit attached to the loom of the car

9354A688-9731-4769-8FF2-0E2A74EBC646.jpeg

F138B3A3-DD28-4650-A362-2B96ABD2877E.png

Thanks mate for helping me out with this! It is that connector, I guess like you said I need the male end. You know after looking at wiring loom last night I think I figured out why I could not find the parts. It's because I've read it finished with 304 but it looks like it's 204. I only find one guy on eBay that sells the connector and he's in UK. So that's good news!

Link to the wiring loom and that would be 23A for ABV: http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/COR/year/1994/drive_standart/76/hg_ug/971/subcategory/287001/part_id/3691009/lang/e

Well Shaun, finally it is really finishing by 304 and not 204...  The 1H0973304 is impossible to find! So I'll start researching for a Sharan cooling fan, thanks for the link! Cheers

I swopped my fan connectors to mk4 ones. Both sides. I've got some pics and part numbers in my build thread, if that makes it any easier?

18 hours ago, fla said:

I swopped my fan connectors to mk4 ones. Both sides. I've got some pics and part numbers in my build thread, if that makes it any easier?

Thanks for your input, I'm definitely interested to see what you have done and how you made it happen but I went to look at your build thread and for some reason I can't see any pictures?? Is it just me? I checked from two different computers with the same result! Cheers

17 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

You have to wonder why it burnt the original plug too, that shouldn’t have happened 

Yes absolutely! A valid point and I investigated a little already. I found that in 2006 the radiator and fans were replaced, maybe it seized or something like that?

In my search of finding just the connector, I found a new wiring harness for the fan. The wiring harness is for a VR6 non-AC car so I though it would be a good thing since I want to delete the AC. But now I'm finding out that most of the wires are not the same colors and  the connectors except for the 4 wires one that melted are all different as well. So it may be not the best way to go finally, maybe I'll just cut a pig tail off a Passat...

Also it would probably wise to keep the fans running with the 3 stages instead of the 2 stages like the non-AC was designed... Or it wouldn't make much of a difference?

9 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks for your input, I'm definitely interested to see what you have done and how you made it happen but I went to look at your build thread and for some reason I can't see any pictures?? Is it just me? I checked from two different computers with the same result! Cheers

Ah yes you're right all the pics seem to have disappeared. When I'm at my laptop I'll post them up in this thread 

3 hours ago, fla said:

Ah yes you're right all the pics seem to have disappeared. When I'm at my laptop I'll post them up in this thread 

Thanks mate, much appreciated! Meanwhile I'll try to sort that loom out...

9 hours ago, seanl82 said:

Non A/C has 3 stages too, at least European ones do...🤔

I'm taking that info from the Cooling thread:

I believe that only early VRs have a 2-stage fan setup.

Possibly all and certainly all late VRs have a 3-stage fan setup.

Essentially, if you've got 3 temp senders in your thermostat housing, you have 3-stages. If you have AC or an auto, you'll always have a 3-stage fan setup regardless of age.

I do have a late euro VR6, auto and AC so for sure I have 3 stages. But the fan loom I got is the first of the 3 version VW did for the VR6 non-A/C so I'm assuming it's the first VR6 version loom since pretty much all VR6 came with A/C. I'm sure it would be possible to convert but I'm wondering if it would be a "bad" thing to downgrade to two stages?

Ok so comparing both looms. First the colors on the wires is not matching although I don't think it's a huge deal. But the problem I see is with the smaller connector. First mine has 10 wires, the new loom only has 6, perhaps because 4 are for AC? Because I can see an AC connector that has 4 wires and I guessing that could be it but that's speculation... But even if I wanted to connect it, the connector itself I way smaller. Which means the relay would have to be a different one? 

IMG_20200408_133521349.jpg

Other problematic thing with the new loom is on the radiator end. There's two connectors. One with 2 wires and one with 3 wires. I don't know where those one would go and I don't have a 3 wires connector like this one my actual loom. To my thermo switch I do have a 3 wires connector and I'm guessing that could be it? The connectors are totally different though... Still don't know about the second 2 wire connector. 

IMG_20200408_133655375.jpg

15863793290928473015289341775186.jpg

The last picture is of a later style radiator sender, I’m guessing this is off your loom. I the photo before last the three wire plug is for earlier style rad sender. Both three pin and doing the same thing just a different shaped plug. 
not really sure but I think the the main relay/controller is different for A/C cars and one of the sensors in the thermostat housing is also specific to A/C cars. That two pin plug might be for the expansion tank. I think all VR6 were 3 stage fan as mine is an early facelift 1992 and had 3 stage set up with that rad sensor plug you have. 
have a read of this. 

The two pin plug in your photo may be for the black plug in the thermostat housing. Mine has the same colour wires and plug going there and the yellow sensor swaps to a Brown I think

9CF241B4-1B1D-44FB-A097-42D1E9C40AD6.jpeg

I used this early radiator sensor. 
https://www.bing.com/search?q=wahler+6017.95D&form=APIPH1&PC=APPL
about £20 The Febi equivalent is cheaper

aslo got it wrong about thermostat housing. You should have a brown one and that goes to black, part number in the guide link above.

Not sure of the difference in American to European loom, if it’s got the right plugs on and wires are going to right places you’d think you’d be good. I think there’s a bit more to deleting the ac wiring than that loom though. 

Thanks so much for helping me out with this you two, much appreciated. Ok I think it would make sense, swapping the 4 prong for a 2 prong sensor on the thermostat housing. That take care of one thing. 

Swapping for an early 3 in line sensor on the rad sure takes care of my second issue easily. Good suggestion! 

I'm left with the main relay controller issue. Plug being different and with less wires. I think I could order one for non AC car although I'm not sure which one to buy, non of them are specified non AC and reading again the cooling thread there's plenty of information but not on that. https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/corrado/cor/1992-76/9/937-219015/#25

But that part is not cheap to buy and so was the loom. If I have to buy a different main relay on top of it it's really not cost effective. I'm thinking of retuning the loom and  going to a junk yard to get a connector off a passat and just redo the wiring at this point... Make sense? 

Thanks a lot! 

Can you take a photo of the ends of the two plugs side by side so we can see what the difference is between the new and old. How much did you pay for the new loom and where did you get it from. 
I think you need to see the whole number on the side of you control unit to see what you have

ABV sorry about the delay in sedning the pics of my fan loom.  Here you go:

20190525_114740.jpg

20190525_114755.jpg

20190525_114831.jpg

20190525_114913.jpg

20190525_130947.jpg

20190607_233036.jpg

20190607_233051.jpg

20190607_233108.jpg

20190607_233114.jpg

20190611_193000.jpg

20190611_193021.jpg

20190611_193245.jpg

20190611_193305.jpg

20190611_193347.jpg

20190611_193538.jpg

But you have aftermarket slim fans fitted Fla, he wouldn’t to connect that to his existing fan set up, it won’t plug in. He needs that bit you cut off. 😉