Cressa

Karmann the Corrado

Today was a creative day. I set about making some replacement door membranes by copying the knackered one I had. Took me all afternoon to do this and get the door card on.

I learnt there are more cuts on original, for wiring that I dont have, but I was happy with the practical purpose of it. Ignore the colour 🙈 it all I could lay my hands on.

Even better was that a year ago i bought some expensive VW butyl for sticking the roof trims down and now had a use for it  around the door lip

20200622_151041.jpg

20200622_125857.jpg

I’ve used building visqueen dpm left over from a job before today.

Whats the butyl stuff ? Looks like a 5mm bead in a roll ?

That the gear that sticks to my hands and transfers to EVERTHING when I’m behind the cards ?

Edited by James.

On 6/22/2020 at 9:20 PM, James. said:

I’ve used building visqueen dpm left over from a job before today.

Whats the butyl stuff ? Looks like a 5mm bead in a roll ?

That the gear that sticks to my hands and transfers to EVERTHING when I’m behind the cards ?

Sorry I didn't reply b4. Yes mate it is that bloody sticky stuff and fits perfectly in the door groove at the sides and bottom

A big thanks to Shaun for the scuttle trim clips that I was missing. Another step forward.  And I got the other door mirror on mate, so she looks like a car.

Today's bad bit was the rivet gun breaking as I put the front slam panel parts on. Scratched the top of it 🤬🤬 The rivet gun can be found thrown down the garden.... bloody thing. 

Removed the drivers window regulator etc as I await bits from lilfuzzer 

Refitted the front arch lines and torqued up the front hubs correctly. Finally fitted the Eibach bolts for adjusting the front wheel alignment 

Yet another step closer

20200628_185330.jpg

20200628_170858.jpg

Ooh, good stuff! I loved it progressing into a car after I had my respray. 👍

Rivet guns are the devil's tool. I've just done my rear bumper heat shield, and had to dismantle it after every rivet went in as the pin stuck in the tool. 😡 Unless you fork out for a really good quality one, they're awful things to use. 

Keep up the progress though, you'll miss the warm weather or else. (That's what I keep saying to myself anyway!).

20200629_191546.jpgReceived  a gearknob gaitor from Billzeebub today. Cleaned, moisturised, glued, fitted and looking good. It makes the gearknob look bad, so that is on a retrim list.

Any recommendations?

Edited by Cressa

Quality efforts and the new paint looks great. I had wondered where you build thread was but now I know! 

Definitely seems the way forward stripping the car and putting it back together yourself. I only did the interior on mine but next time i hope to have a house with the space to strip it back to the shell pre-bodyshop.

All the best and sorry to hear about the alloy wheel.

Matt

Marmite time.  Fitted a Votex rear mud flap to the rear. I must like it because I did it.... but I get why people don't.  

20200704_180530.jpg

20200704_180359.jpg

Oh I like the mud flaps! For some reason I like the combo mud flap and a nice quality roof rack for a sporty/outdoorsy look! Keep up the good work! Gator looks real nice btw! 

On 7/5/2020 at 12:33 AM, ABV-VR6 said:

Oh I like the mud flaps! For some reason I like the combo mud flap and a nice quality roof rack for a sporty/outdoorsy look! Keep up the good work! Gator looks real nice btw! 

I like them but do I make it look like a Grandads car? 😂😂 perhaps I should put the lowest covers on it and a 20v turbo engine in. 

I used some plastikote satin black spray paint on the 3 piece scuttle trim covers. They were looking very shabby b4, but this stuff has come up to really good. Ignore the mess around them

20200707_173017.jpg

Looks great

Is the windscreen going in last, or are you going for that, hair in the wind look?

On 6/28/2020 at 8:19 PM, Cressa said:

A big thanks to Shaun for the scuttle trim clips that I was missing. Another step forward.  And I got the other door mirror on mate, so she looks like a car.

Today's bad bit was the rivet gun breaking as I put the front slam panel parts on. Scratched the top of it 🤬🤬 The rivet gun can be found thrown down the garden.... bloody thing. 

Removed the drivers window regulator etc as I await bits from lilfuzzer 

Refitted the front arch lines and torqued up the front hubs correctly. Finally fitted the Eibach bolts for adjusting the front wheel alignment 

Yet another step closer

20200628_185330.jpg

20200628_170858.jpg

Hi chap can we see some better pictures of your recaro I think they may be the same cloth pattern that came on a MK2 16V golf - I love them ones !  The plastidip has worked a treat on the windscreen trims 😃

I thought plastidip just peels off once you've had enough of it?

1 hour ago, Dox said:

I thought plastidip just peels off once you've had enough of it?

I'm hoping this doesn't.  It was just like a normal spray paint.  Plastikote was the make. I thought it was paint with some flexibility. 

Keyo I will get some better pictures of the seats for you.

3 hours ago, culshaw said:

Looks great

Is the windscreen going in last, or are you going for that, hair in the wind look?

The guy who said he will do it has gone quiet.... but he was quite expensive . I dont have any driving goggles, so it needs to go in 😁

More importantly I had a birthday pressie arrive today from across the pond.

Another love or hate them but I do want to protect the fog lights. ( gold is cheaper than these)

Not so fussed about the Hella lettering so time will tell if it stays...

20200708_201530.jpg

20200708_201843.jpg

20200708_201834.jpg

20200708_201831.jpg

Maybe worth spraying the underside a bit and seeing if it peels off?

13 hours ago, Cressa said:

I'm hoping this doesn't.  It was just like a normal spray paint.  Plastikote was the make. I thought it was paint with some flexibility. 

Keyo I will get some better pictures of the seats for you.

The guy who said he will do it has gone quiet.... but he was quite expensive . I dont have any driving goggles, so it needs to go in 😁

Mate I know a chap in Stoke in trent he is the dog bloox been in the game 40 years and is mobile- all the top body shops use him - fair price as well. 

13 hours ago, Cressa said:

More importantly I had a birthday pressie arrive today from across the pond.

Another love or hate them but I do want to protect the fog lights. ( gold is cheaper than these)

Not so fussed about the Hella lettering so time will tell if it stays...

20200708_201530.jpg

20200708_201843.jpg

20200708_201834.jpg

20200708_201831.jpg

The clear versions look alot better 

48 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Mate I know a chap in Stoke in trent he is the dog bloox been in the game 40 years and is mobile- all the top body shops use him - fair price as well. 

Im a Stokie, but now over the border in Cheshire, I'd be interested in his contact details please

2 hours ago, Dox said:

Im a Stokie, but now over the border in Cheshire, I'd be interested in his contact details please

Hi Dox- His name is Joe and travelled to North Birmingham for me so would have no issues travelling to neighbouring counties. 07711 767972. 

17 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Hi Dox- His name is Joe and travelled to North Birmingham for me so would have no issues travelling to neighbouring counties. 07711 767972. 

Fab, thanks I want the screen and side glass out of the storm and a repair to the screen on another car

4 hours ago, Dox said:

Fab, thanks I want the screen and side glass out of the storm and a repair to the screen on another car

His a top fitter chap and also expert in soft tops- if you google his phone number you'll see his on many classic car forums .