Cressa

Karmann the Corrado

4 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I bet all that hassle with the air con seems worth it today. 

Typically she has been tucked up in the garage today as I had to get my Passat back. But it is nice to have it, as I think I liked the challenge to get it working😇

Just catching up and a bit late to the party - fantastic news you've got her up and running and MOT'd but sorry to hear of the stress at the end. I can relate and don't think I'd have slept a wink knowing other cars were moving about next to it. I'm glad all turned out well.

With regards to what is next... well you've got to enjoy it! Maybe get another project if funds and space allow? Having 2 or 3 things to tinker with will keep you busy as I gather like me you love a project and by the time you've finished the others you''ll have the odd job to do on the Corrado to keep it sweet. This is what I've done - Corrado 16v mini project and a Mk2 Golf GTI 8v full resto. I couldn't sell my white one after all the effort to date. Besides I need to source some cloth recaros like yours for the white before it is done anyway 🙂

Wet day so thought I would fit the front VW passat mudflaps. Another job off the long snagging list. As per the Corrado Club GB.

20200816_130311.jpg20200816_132115.jpgIf they stop all the tar and filth being flicked up onto the lower wings and doors then I will be happy. And if they are a pain, then they are easily removed.

More Marmite I think

20200816_132128.jpg

On 8/13/2020 at 10:14 PM, pfnsht said:

Just catching up and a bit late to the party - fantastic news you've got her up and running and MOT'd but sorry to hear of the stress at the end. I can relate and don't think I'd have slept a wink knowing other cars were moving about next to it. I'm glad all turned out well.

With regards to what is next... well you've got to enjoy it! Maybe get another project if funds and space allow? Having 2 or 3 things to tinker with will keep you busy as I gather like me you love a project and by the time you've finished the others you''ll have the odd job to do on the Corrado to keep it sweet. This is what I've done - Corrado 16v mini project and a Mk2 Golf GTI 8v full resto. I couldn't sell my white one after all the effort to date. Besides I need to source some cloth recaros like yours for the white before it is done anyway 🙂

I like reading about your latest edition to the family too. I still have plenty that I want to do with mine, including the fitting of a Schrick inlet manifold.... so that will keep me busy. On top of finishing undersealing and... 

But I intend to enjoy her for now 

Ohh I like mudflaps, not thought about it for the corrados though. Good find.

Shrick will be nice, I saw Keyos car the other day in the flesh and it certainly sets the engine bay apart from the others.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This was taken by the passenger as I was driving. Car seemed happy but I am wondering if a lead maybe down... 

Round 3 next week at getting the front alignment sorted. 

And as there is a step at the side of my house to inside that I was afraid of catching with the car, I have smashed it up 😇😂😂 madness as i now need to get rid of it as a doorway.

IMG-20200820-WA0013.jpg

Haha good effort - I too would get rid of the step to keep the car safe. In fact I would happily model my house around the cars!

Car looks to be running well and oil temp is good.

Had the Camber and alignment properly sorted yesterday, thankfully.  She seems to drive fine as I am getting used to her. The weather was horrendous,  yet surprisingly my wipers worked fine. Nice to know she can get wet.  

I do need to sort the immobilser/alarm as 6 attempts to start it is a pain.

The windscreen still needs to come out and be refitted properly just for my peace of mind. 

Still lovely to drive though 🚘

Update:-

Took her out on this lovely Bank holiday Monday and I have a few niggles with her.

ABS light- seems to come on during any brisk journeys or when raining. That is a pain as all sensors and rings were changed. On start up the light comes on and does go off.....

Heater Matrix- doesnt seem to get very hot at the blower!! When the engine is switched off but with aux pump running it sounds as though there is a gurgling sound at the Matrix. I'm thinking airlock somehow but dont really know the best way to push this out.. 😂

Engine knock when hard accelerating as though it is rocking on a mount... 

Still unsure if a lead is down so will look tonight when it is dark.

Any pointers on these issues greatly appreciated.  I have VCDS for my newer Passat,  so perhaps need an adapter lead to look at the ABS

All recommendations greatly received. 

I will say that she does stick to the road very well and being my first VR6, has great acceleration and sound. I understand why you all hang on to them

45 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Update:-

Took her out on this lovely Bank holiday Monday and I have a few niggles with her.

ABS light- seems to come on during any brisk journeys or when raining. That is a pain as all sensors and rings were changed. On start up the light comes on and does go off..... Not sure, get her on a diagnostic

Heater Matrix- doesnt seem to get very hot at the blower!! When the engine is switched off but with aux pump running it sounds as though there is a gurgling sound at the Matrix. I'm thinking airlock somehow but dont really know the best way to push this out.. 😂 - It is likely to be that the air box liner has perished & so the hot is constantly mixing with the cold - dash out & reline with the sticky backed hobby felt stuff.  as for air lock - take expansion cap off, start engine, let it warm up & then top up fluid as required to correct level, get expansion cap back on before it gets too hot

Engine knock when hard accelerating as though it is rocking on a mount... could be the front gearbox mount as they are known for perishing & causing a knock.  IIRC replace them with OE as the uprated ones can cause issues

Still unsure if a lead is down so will look tonight when it is dark. - give them a spray with a water bottle when its dark & see if they are arcing

Any pointers on these issues greatly appreciated.  I have VCDS for my newer Passat,  so perhaps need an adapter lead to look at the ABS

All recommendations greatly received. 

I will say that she does stick to the road very well and being my first VR6, has great acceleration and sound. I understand why you all hang on to them

Hi cress - ive put some suggestions alongside your original text m8

The gurgling sound is pretty normal in the dash when you turn the ignition on its just the coolant circulating. Hot and cold air will be the blend doors lack of foam on them or the cables not operating how they should not fully opening the blend doors in the heater box.  

Edited by Keyo

36 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

Hi cress - ive put some suggestions alongside your original text m8

Thanks for that 👍. I have already recovered my airbox flaps and checked that it does slide across. In fact I went a bit crazy making them able to slide smoothly before it all went back together.  The noise it makes from cold with the Aux  pump is just a nice whirring noise, but when hot does sound gurgling ....which is what leads me to suspect an airlock!!

I dont suppose there is an obvious way in spotting a duff engine mount. I thought I had changed them all, maybe not 🤬

Might need to get over to Shaun's and listen to his for a comparison 

Thanks for the replies 😇

Put the handbrake on, chock the wheels and get someone to operate the clutch in gear while you observe engine movement?

Pedal sensor for the abs - spirited driving = lots of braking?

23 hours ago, Dox said:

Put the handbrake on, chock the wheels and get someone to operate the clutch in gear while you observe engine movement?

Pedal sensor for the abs - spirited driving = lots of braking?

Cheers dox. I never new about that peddle sensor and after reading up on it, that will be an interesting one to sort !! 🤞

Well I thought I would plug my VCDS in to trouble shoot the ABS that comes on whilst driving. Thinking I was clever I ordered a 2+2 adaptor lead. Got that today, took the gear stick surround off, and I DON'T need it..... what a twat. I should have checked as the OBD2 plug goes straight in.

So if anyone wants it, you can have it. 

I've read the fault codes and cleared them,  so will see what appears after my next journey. I could have done this years ago!!!!

I will post them up when the 'choose files' button below let's me...

2 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

What make rear sensors did you fit? I’ve heard some are intermittent 

That will take some looking back through my receipts. I am hoping some of the faults will have been there for years. I need to take her for a run and see what reappears.  Hopefully this weekend

On 9/9/2020 at 4:28 PM, Cressa said:

Well I thought I would plug my VCDS in to trouble shoot the ABS that comes on whilst driving. Thinking I was clever I ordered a 2+2 adaptor lead. Got that today, took the gear stick surround off, and I DON'T need it..... what a twat. I should have checked as the OBD2 plug goes straight in.

So if anyone wants it, you can have it. 

I've read the fault codes and cleared them,  so will see what appears after my next journey. I could have done this years ago!!!!

I will post them up when the 'choose files' button below let's me...

I meant can I have your adapter please 

26 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I meant can I have your adapter please 

Yes mate, it's all yours 

7 minutes ago, Simeon said:

Clear the codes and re run diagnostic. I agree with Dox re the pedal sensor for the ABS (and it's listed there in your fault list). Very easy to fix, there's a how-to on the Volvo forum of all places; 

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=97192&page=5

Engine speed sensor fault always shows if the engine isn't running.

I need to research getting it out now👍

59 minutes ago, Cressa said:

I need to research getting it out now👍

There is a metal circlip holding it in, that's it. Once that's removed, either give it a good tug (ooh er!) To release it from the vacuum, or apparently if you pump the brake pedal that works too. Very quick and simple. The longest part of it is removing the inlet elbow for access. 👍

Edited by seanl82