ABV-VR6

How much is an A/C system worth?

Hello, 

As many of you know I removed my A/C system of the Corrado VR6 1995. I don't use A/C plus I would like the space to install a Mocal oil cooler at the front of the radiator. 

There's a guy locally who would like to buy the stuff from me which would help me finance some parts for the Corrado... Problem is I have no clue what it's worth? All of it is in very good condition, no rust on any of the parts, car has 65 000 miles only.

So I could find some pricing on the lines, compressor and accumulator. But the one that I can't find nowhere is the condenser! 

Can someone please help me trying to pin point a fair price for all of it? 

Thanks chaps! 

IMG_20200503_142301619_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200503_142233246_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200503_142200786_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200503_142107878_HDR.jpg

User james off here was sorting out his campaign model, he might want it off you. Have no idea of value will be worth more in individual parts but then you have the hasstle of selling each part.  Just dont sell it yet in till somone advises off here. 

Thanks mate, you're always helpful! For sure I would rather sell it as a lot more than in pieces. The guy here wants everything except the compressor. I don't know him and if someone of this forum is interested, I'll prioritize here without thinking about it twice. Its in very clean condition, I could spend an hour washing everything to make it spotless. Anyways ya, the condenser I cannot find any threads of one for sale other than an few years old ebay listing for a new one and it sold for an astonishing 800£ craziness! 

Cheers! 

Genuine Corrado a/c parts in good condition must be worth decent money. I paid £250 for a full Climatronic set up for mine a lot of years ago, that did include wiring loom and controller but it was from a Passat so it didn’t have the rarity factor.

We never got factory fit a/c so it’s hard to know if much of it could be merged into a UK aftermarket setup. I’m sure the pipes are a better fit than the Diavia ones that got thrown in by the dealers when they took an order for one here but they’re unlikely to mate up. I’ve got various Passat and Golf bits in mine but it took some ingenuity to make some of it work!  

Edited by tonedef

So if I understand correctly there was no factory A/C in the UK? I'm surprised to read that! My engine is an ABV as well so it must have been fitted in Europe at least? 

Yes, I guess the rarity factor being Corrado but also pretty much all A/C components are NLA for about 5 years now... I think the compressor and  accumulator are still available though. 

I don't know what to ask for a fair price. I'm thinking it's worth roughly between 500 and 800£ in that condition for the whole lot. That's based on pricing from other listing but with a guess on what a condenser is worth since I can't find any for sale... 

No, it was a factory option in Europe and standard in NA, but only LHD cars came with a factory fitted system from VW.

In the UK it was possible to get the dealership to retrofit a Diavia system, but it was not a very clean install - there may have been differences between RHD/LHD cars that made it more difficult to use the factory parts without additional changes. This means that there are differences in the A/C controls as well sometimes.

Your system looks extremely clean and in good working order - someone is sure to want it, but prices are hard to gauge.

Edited by fendervg

Thanks for clearing that up! Now I understand. I wonder if the difference in installing it is more on the electrical part than under the bonnet? I've read a thread saying the AAA and ABV condenser were direct bolt on so hoses/pipes should be somewhat the same as well? I guess looking at a RHD engine bay fitted with A/C would shed some light... Anyways, now knowing this which I didn't knew 10 minutes ago maybe its not the right place to figure out the value? Just started this to give someone a fair value of the stuff! 

Cheers 

Might be worth holding on for a year or so, have a summer in a Rado and you might want it back in the car ha ! 

Ha! You're funny! No, I never been able to use A/C for some reason it's giving me migraines everytime... 

38 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks for clearing that up! Now I understand. I wonder if the difference in installing it is more on the electrical part than under the bonnet? I've read a thread saying the AAA and ABV condenser were direct bolt on so hoses/pipes should be somewhat the same as well? I guess looking at a RHD engine bay fitted with A/C would shed some light... Anyways, now knowing this which I didn't knew 10 minutes ago maybe its not the right place to figure out the value? Just started this to give someone a fair value of the stuff! 

Cheers 

I take it yours is a LHD. The compressor would fit, but not much else. What is needed would be the fan heaterbox inside the dash that houses the evaporator and I'm afraid it would not fit any RHD car. Without this there is no aircon.

I like the idea of utilising mk3 golf parts but not much else would be useful. Your condensor (aircon radiator) is good, but the receiver drier that is attached to it would need replacing. 

It would also need the wiring for the pressure and temperature sensors on top of it kicking in the fans and increasing revs. A major job.

If someone near you wants it and you don't, let him have it for a price you are happy with. Personally due to rarity I would keep it. 

Good luck with your decision

Yes it is LHD. Ouff it sounds like a lot of work for sure to convert it. Thank you for explaining all of this to me, much appreciated. 

I guess I'll think about it and try to figure out a price for the guy near me. He has a LHD Corrado so it should be straight forward to him.

Thanks for helping out! Cheers

If I was you chap the best way to value it. 

Take every part number and google it and find out the price , then add it all together and write down each part that is obsolete ( a second hand part normally sell for not much less then new if obsolete) write it all down as mentioned then even show the guy the document and say  make me an offer.  probably stacks up to over 1,3k easily I reckon new in  sterling.  The parts look in fantastic condition. 

Edited by Keyo

19 hours ago, Keyo said:

User james off here was sorting out his campaign model, he might want it off you. 

Thanks for keeping me in mind, but after Cressa advised me what I need, I’m only about £150 from being done (new).

It’s a complicated and time consuming to remove every trace of air-con from a Corrado. I would imagine that a buyer would want every part if they were to retrofit (and know what was/wasn’t working). Otherwise they’d pull their hair out looking for all those missing bits.

I’d be like Keyo. For what it’s worth, stick hold of it and then it’s there if you ever sell, or bung it on ebay/similar and get what you can (but be prepared for all those stupid ass questions).

NB: The compressor will be dear to post as they are HEAVY.

Edited by James.

14 hours ago, Keyo said:

If I was you chap the best way to value it. 

Take every part number and google it and find out the price , then add it all together and write down each part that is obsolete ( a second hand part normally sell for not much less then new if obsolete) write it all down as mentioned then even show the guy the document and say  make me an offer.  probably stacks up to over 1,3k easily I reckon new in  sterling.  The parts look in fantastic condition. 

Thanks mate for that and it all make sense what you are saying. It was hard finding pricing on those things and I appreciate all the help. 

I think Corrado parts are getting very expensive and we somewhat have a role to influence that. Such a small community of enthusiasts all over the world. I'm going to try to be kind without loosing too much money and offer the whole thing for 500£ to the chap who wants it. 

Thanks a lot for your help! 

12 hours ago, James. said:

Thanks for keeping me in mind, but after Cressa advised me what I need, I’m only about £150 from being done (new).

It’s a complicated and time consuming to remove every trace of air-con from a Corrado. I would imagine that a buyer would want every part if they were to retrofit (and know what was/wasn’t working). Otherwise they’d pull their hair out looking for all those missing bits.

I’d be like Keyo. For what it’s worth, stick hold of it and then it’s there if you ever sell, or bung it on ebay/similar and get what you can (but be prepared for all those stupid ass questions).

NB: The compressor will be dear to post as they are HEAVY.

That's great, I'm glad you found the best way to make it happen. I didn't knew there was a difference between RHD and LHD before starting this thread. And by the sounds of it, it's quite complicated to swap. Cheers 

Hi. I first had a dealer installed Diavia system added in 1997. It cost £1314.65 all in. The parts included the following items:

- Diavia custom heater exchange unit, blower; Diavia condensor and dryer,

- Diavia specific loom, plug and play;

- VW Bosch clutch and a/c pump

- dealer made pipes and a messy switch system based upon the Golf, but not really appropriate.

- the passenger side modifications were ugly and messy.

It worked well until the brushes went on the blower - there was no replacement Diavia blower out there. Had to replace with a modified T3 blower.

The pipes you present are specific to the LHD cars. There wasnt a mirror image of those pipes ever made for RHD cars - except in part with the Mk3 and the Passat. One of your pipes can be re-used, perhaps two. The rest could serve to help shape mirror image versions. 

The bits relevant to the RHD cars (in your kit) are the compressor, the condensor, the dryer, the most importantly the side frames for the condensor - which are very difficult to find now.  

In order to complete it one would have to source (i) the loom components - very rare now but can be partially obtained from Mk3 Golfs with A/C (ii) the a/c heater exchange unit, and blower sectons for a Passat (some have used bits from Passats, some from Leons) (iii) the AC control panel (upgraded from the normal three way switch). - thats still available from dealers.

If I had the time to redo my existing a/c I'd replace it all with the parts from a Mk4 Golf or Leon, and spend ages rebuilding the loom to make it work sensibly. It can be done - and it is absolutely worth it.