tony_ack

Dashboard ashtray replacement suggestions

Has anyone done away with the ashtray in the dash and replaced it with something else? With free space on the dash at a premium, it could be a good area for an extra panel?

I was thinking of making a fascia panel that would line up with the existing holes, so no mods to the console itself.

Maybe have a built in USB charger like this (jury is out on the LED battery display):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Socket-Waterproof-Charger-Delivery-Motorcycle/dp/B07RJWNBGF/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=car%2B18w%2Bpd&qid=1589194309&sr=8-8&th=1

OR

Somewhere for the alarm indicator to go?

A 3.5mm aux input jack?

A door locking/unlocking switch?

A more modern (tighter fitting) 12v cig lighter socket?

An extra cubby hole?

I've seen two-gauge panels in there, or a storage box, but it's pretty hard to make it look neat and OEM.

A cupholder is another idea I've seen float around - I'm keeping mine in place though to have it original and I think any of the mods detract from the factory look, but some have been done really nicely.

Take a look on vwvortex and you will see a few examples.

I’ve mounted my boost controller there, I need to make another bracket that fills in the sides better but as a trial mount it’s pretty good there. Used sticky pads and the screw the back to hold the bracket down then sticky strip to mount the controller to that7C3BA727-E778-4D4F-945B-6D933176CC41.thumb.jpeg.725180f00c5756c4def036616eb5192f.jpegD0830A21-2EFF-4B34-B54B-C50420110E84.thumb.jpeg.f237490d6cae8364041e72bd67c67576.jpeg

Give me your seats Sean ! 

I saw these on a picture the other day thought they looked pretty good and can get a cheap set off an Audi 80 and have VDO gauges and housing. 

For the ashtray ideally there would be an aftermarket pop out cup holder. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-80-CABRIOLET-COUPE-VDO-GAUGES-WITH-HARNESS-AND-RELAY/333591755529?hash=item4dab9e3b09:g:sUMAAOSw5OpesZE5

gauges.jpg

Edited by Keyo

18 minutes ago, dragon green said:

a2855b210cb6a29568d6b18419fe092b.jpg

I do like that. What did you use for the fascia panel ?

5 hours ago, fendervg said:

I've seen two-gauge panels in there, or a storage box, but it's pretty hard to make it look neat and OEM.

A cupholder is another idea I've seen float around - I'm keeping mine in place though to have it original and I think any of the mods detract from the factory look, but some have been done really nicely.

Take a look on vwvortex and you will see a few examples.

A proper cup holder would be nice. The mk4 golf had a rectangular unit that popped out. I wonder if someone has made this pop out behind the normal ashtray front

I've got one of these in my car - B4 Passat/T4 Eurovan item:

b3-cupholder 002.jpg

b3-cupholder 003.jpg

The lock and chain are not for holding your large latte in, they lock the steering wheel to the seat frame! Old school crook-lok.

Edited by fendervg

2 minutes ago, fendervg said:

I've got one of these in my car - B4 Passat/T4 Eurovan item:

b3-cupholder 002.jpg

b3-cupholder 003.jpg

The lock and chain are not for holding your large latte in, they lock the steering wheel to the seat frame! Old school crook-lok.

Think they are really hard to get hold of one to buy . 

I do like that. What did you use for the fascia panel ?

I bought it long ago from Henny on here, sorry I cant be any more help

On 5/11/2020 at 7:09 PM, Cressa said:

A proper cup holder would be nice. The mk4 golf had a rectangular unit that popped out. I wonder if someone has made this pop out behind the normal ashtray front

There was a how to on here years ago showing how to (funnily enough) convert the ashtray into a cup holder using an A4 cupholder I think. It was something I had on my to do list before I laid the car up. I’ve had a quick look but can’t find it. 

Edit found it but the pics are gone now by the looks of things 

well, the rear ashtray can be replaced easily with a cup holder. There were at least a couple of chaps on this forum who were manufacturing them in recent times. An essential mod for us coffee addicts.