Keyo

Late Cenre switch console

Hi, 

Im after a late centre trim console - mine has a crack and would like to replace. 

Thanks . 

centre console.jpg

You can repair it from the back with a soldering iron and some stainless steel mesh. I've also used copper wire melted across cracks and splits

If you're really stuck you can slice off concealed parts of the plastic and melt them into and onto the crack.

I think i have some pics of my repair. I'll try and dig them out and post up

19 minutes ago, fla said:

You can repair it from the back with a soldering iron and some stainless steel mesh. I've also used copper wire melted across cracks and splits

If you're really stuck you can slice off concealed parts of the plastic and melt them into and onto the crack.

I think i have some pics of my repair. I'll try and dig them out and post up

Thanks chap these are getting hard to come by - they actually still do the LHD version. There are loads of these for the MK2 golf but thin on the ground for a corrado. 

Where is the crack - is it just that one of the 4 heater panel screw tabs has broken? They are nearly all like that.

You can cut a small piece of hobby plastic to size, drill a hole and JB weld in - or metal speed nut clip will work well too - the repair won't be visible once it's back in.

Those tabs are really easy to break, and nearly any car that has had the heater matrix out will have one of these broken. And the other pain is because the section is sided, you can't use one from a LHD drive car where there would be plentiful supply and maybe in better nick.

Wish it was chap it is a crack on the main side frame ell the way through next to the stereo just below the heater.

Ouch - best of luck with your search - if you find one from a breaker I'd say go and offer to take it out yourself to make sure nothing breaks.

Found one on eBay, £300.. usual over priced seller....

1 hour ago, Dox said:

Found one on eBay, £300.. usual over priced seller....

I think that is the same seller that was barred from here Dox - has a few different sale identities you know - not make it obvious that he is running a business dismantling cars to the taxman I imagine . He is the greediest seller I have seen and is officially on the greedy pig list Im afraid.  - sam salvage asking stupid money for damaged second hand parts- I call him sam the savage. He will never get any business off me- rather have a broken trim the line his pockets.. Had a few prices all ready for under a £100.00 now .  Its a weird one, Im wondering if I left my car unlocked and someone was trying to get the stereo out or even worse my gauges. Two cracks all the way through like something has been wedged to the side of it- just appeared a couple of days ago as I noticed my stereo was sticking out at an angle where the frame has cracked. 

P.s that trim his selling for 300 is damaged as well - what a joker. 

Edited by Keyo

3 hours ago, fendervg said:

Ouch - best of luck with your search - if you find one from a breaker I'd say go and offer to take it out yourself to make sure nothing breaks.

Sure be lucky to get one with no snapped tabs but frame must be good.  Early ones are a lot cheaper and more available 

Edited by Keyo

2 hours ago, Keyo said:

I think that is the same seller that was barred from here Dox - has a few different sale identities you know - not make it obvious that he is running a business dismantling cars to the taxman I imagine . He is the greediest seller I have seen and is officially on the greedy pig list Im afraid.  - sam salvage asking stupid money for damaged second hand parts- I call him sam the savage. He will never get any business off me- rather have a broken trim the line his pockets.. Had a few prices all ready for under a £100.00 now .  Its a weird one, Im wondering if I left my car unlocked and someone was trying to get the stereo out or even worse my gauges. Two cracks all the way through like something has been wedged to the side of it- just appeared a couple of days ago as I noticed my stereo was sticking out at an angle where the frame has cracked. 

P.s that trim his selling for 300 is damaged as well - what a joker. 

They're often broken at the sides where the stereo has been in and out. It's a bit of a faff getting the connectors tucked out of the way so when it's pulled back out at an offset angle and with a bit too much force, they end up breaking as they're long and thin on those side bits. (Ask me how I know!) Lol. I was looking for a decent one for about 2 years, then managed to get on with just a single heater tab broken that came up on eBay starting at £25. No one else bid so I got a bit of a bargain! Just fitted it last weekend too. 😁

20 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

They're often broken at the sides where the stereo has been in and out. It's a bit of a faff getting the connectors tucked out of the way so when it's pulled back out at an offset angle and with a bit too much force, they end up breaking as they're long and thin on those side bits. (Ask me how I know!) Lol. I was looking for a decent one for about 2 years, then managed to get on with just a single heater tab broken that came up on eBay starting at £25. No one else bid so I got a bit of a bargain! Just fitted it last weekend too. 😁

Spot on I think this is what damaged mine the centre dash was out recently when the gauges were fitted I guess for the cabling. Could be the gauges have streched the frame a little as well I guess .