Cressa

What goes in this hole

Cant believe I wrote that title 😂 anyway,

On the scuttle trim area there is a small hole next to the wiper that is not for the trim clips, so what goes in here? See picture..... if nothing I will put silicone to blank it off.

Any answers welcome to this one !!

20200713_193351.jpg

Edited by Cressa
Forgot the picture

30 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Bump.... 

Mate looks like another hole to take one of them white clips ?  How many do you have in place ? 

Edited by Keyo

I have 10 in position and they line up correctly with the trim that will fit onto them. . This seems spare..  maybe I should triple check it!!

36 minutes ago, Cressa said:

I have 10 in position and they line up correctly with the trim that will fit onto them. . This seems spare..  maybe I should triple check it!!

Did you put the plastic sleeve grommets  in the holes first mate . 

Cressa do you know your corner tailgate bump stops - where they land when shutting the boot there are two dimples in the bodywork a bit like the spoiler-  you are meant to have two circular clear protection decals on there mate to protect the paint. 

31 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Has anyone ever seen this seal before Im not familiar with it . No 7 on diagram. 

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/corrado/cor/1994-76/8/853-158000/#7

No I've never seen that seal in the flesh, says it's for Corrado's with air con, possibly for LHD options only ?

It's listed at Classic Parts on their website.

Si 

Edited by vw rule

Sure but also has two other options with cut to this length - I have not got one on mine  was just wondering if I had it missing- I have seen in the past on diagrams as well they have special seals for for countries with dust - for example the one seal we don't see much the one under the door which are obsolete by the way and were hugely expensive- dust version ones are available though .

Edited by Keyo

d4b512fcb2e167ae0d4b3a9fe841300c.jpg

It’s a piece of hard clear plastic, I imagine it’s a spacer to prevent the screen sinking too deep into the adhesive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Sure but also has two other options with cut to this length - I have not got one on mine  was just wondering if I had it missing- I have seen in the past on diagrams as well they have special seals for for countries with dust - for example the one seal we don't see much the one under the door which are obsolete by the way and were hugely expensive- dust version ones are available though .

Not 100% sure but think that seal in question possibly fit's behind grill, close to top of air con rad, might even help to seal under front edge of the top plastic fan guard. Plus as the 4 cyl & 6 cyl engine's have different sized / shaped top fan guards, hence the possible need to cut the seal down a bit to fit ?

According to Classic Parts the standard uncut seal measurements are:

Length 481mm  /  width 29mm  / hight 9mm

Yeah I know the bottom door seal you mean, I bought one when they were still available back in 2006, they normally only last 8 to 10 years if you're lucky, the plastic clips would break up or the seal would split / tear. They cost something like £65 to £70 back then per side.

Si 

1 hour ago, Dox said:

d4b512fcb2e167ae0d4b3a9fe841300c.jpg

It’s a piece of hard clear plastic, I imagine it’s a spacer to prevent the screen sinking too deep into the adhesive?

That looks like the grommet chap that houses the white clips - I imagine they also stop the clip damaging the paint when you click the clips in  - can still get them from heritage  . 

6 hours ago, vw rule said:

Not 100% sure but think that seal in question possibly fit's behind grill, close to top of air con rad, might even help to seal under front edge of the top plastic fan guard. Plus as the 4 cyl & 6 cyl engine's have different sized / shaped top fan guards, hence the possible need to cut the seal down a bit to fit ?

According to Classic Parts the standard uncut seal measurements are:

Length 481mm  /  width 29mm  / hight 9mm

Yeah I know the bottom door seal you mean, I bought one when they were still available back in 2006, they normally only last 8 to 10 years if you're lucky, the plastic clips would break up or the seal would split / tear. They cost something like £65 to £70 back then per side.

Si 

Really!? Mine are still there in excellent shape, and were removed/refitted with new clips when I had the respray. 

8 hours ago, Keyo said:

Cressa do you know your corner tailgate bump stops - where they land when shutting the boot there are two dimples in the bodywork a bit like the spoiler-  you are meant to have two circular clear protection decals on there mate to protect the paint. 

Yes mate, mine were actually black . I stamped some out the material you recommended b4

And yes, my grommets have been put in prior to the clips

7 hours ago, Keyo said:

That looks like the grommet chap that houses the white clips - I imagine they also stop the clip damaging the paint when you click the clips in  - can still get them from heritage  . 

Maybe I should just put a grommet in... nothing else listed in etka.  Mine did have a blob of black sealant covering it, which i assumed a previous windscreen fitter had done to hold the trim

20200628_185330.jpg

5 hours ago, seanl82 said:

Really!? Mine are still there in excellent shape, and were removed/refitted with new clips when I had the respray. 

Blimey that's not bad going if you've still got yours in good nick, mine started splitting hanging down slightly a year or so after I bought my car in early 2002, and my old school mate bought his 1990 G60 about 18 months before I got my 16v, and his lower door seals were similar to mine. 

I never really gave that area much interest it was only when I saw something sticking out when the door was shut, the only thing I can think of is if my door hinges are warn, and the door/s have dropped slightly causing the seal to drag more on the door step sill ?

Si 

5 hours ago, Cressa said:

Maybe I should just put a grommet in... nothing else listed in etka.  Mine did have a blob of black sealant covering it, which i assumed a previous windscreen fitter had done to hold the trim

20200628_185330.jpg

Like Keyo has said I would double check to see how all the hole's line up with the ones in the scuttle trim, and if found to be surplus to requirements, I'd just put in that hole a thin small flat rubber bung, job done 👍

Si 

02bf9d09686615e3b5fbc18dd9e145da.jpg
It’s one of those clips with claws on the back that open up when you insert a dowel in the middle. It held nothing in my car

Just a thought here but dont LHD have different windscreen lower trims and might house different hence another hole that would be used on LHD versions ? I know they have different wiper links so different construction for sure. 

Edited by Keyo

1 hour ago, Dox said:

It’s one of those clips with claws on the back that open up when you insert a dowel in the middle. It held nothing in my car

That looks like a Mk2 seat rail trim clip at the hole on the back of the trim to house it to the rail . 

6 hours ago, Keyo said:

Just a thought here but dont LHD have different windscreen lower trims and might house different hence another hole that would be used on LHD versions ? I know they have different wiper links so different construction for sure. 

I'm leaning to this way of thinking, as the 10 clips line up with the trim lugs

8 hours ago, Dox said:

👍

56 minutes ago, Cressa said:

I'm leaning to this way of thinking, as the 10 clips line up with the trim lugs

If it was for LHD wipers it would have a redundant hole on the passenger side for the spindle? Like MK2 Golf.

I think the holes are for a jig to help weld in the scuttle panel true?