Cressa

Spark plug LEADs recommendations

Just wondering what leads people are using, as I think I may not be running perfectly yet.

I had changed my plugs last year, so now the car is running I can get a better feel for her. 

My intention is staying oe, so they must be available in black and fit in the lead clips

I've been searching threads back to 2003 but wanted to hear all of your thoughts 

As always,

Thanks people

I've previously used Beru leads for the same reasons you mention. They've always been reliable and as far as I understand were an OE supplier of ignition components to VW back in the day so should be a safe bet.

Mine's also due some leads soon so interested to know others opinions. 

Cheers,

Jon

Yeah I rate Beru great brand but not sure they are still available - I purchased these from a couple of years back- black bosch leads. 

Bosch Ignition Lead Set for VR6

SKU
905-QHT-020

Beru catalogue cant see none for a corrado VR6 but available for blocks 2E + ADY on page 461 on catalogue column 11 - also has sparks etc . However on  page 462 under MK3 Golf  has 2.9 VR6 ABV leads ZEF298.  from 10/94

Please don't take my word for it but the catalogue describes as correct- also on the bottom link has the measurements of the leads, My Bosch leads said fitted for a Corrado and Mk3 when I purchased them - study the catalogue they might fit they might not - its on you not me ha !
Edited by Keyo

Found the box for my bosch leads. 

Bosch 09338- Think they may be obsolete now. 

bosch.jpg

Bosch, Beru or Bremi are all decent brands. The VAG ones originally on my car were Bremi, others I've seen had Bosck ones.

I know you normally cant go wrong with Bosch, even they are  a greater cost.  I think I saw that Heritagesell them. I was originally considering Mr Retro leads that are on ebay, the 8mm ones.

Keyo do the Bosch ones still fit in the cable holders? 

52 minutes ago, Cressa said:

I know you normally cant go wrong with Bosch, even they are  a greater cost.  I think I saw that Heritagesell them. I was originally considering Mr Retro leads that are on ebay, the 8mm ones.

Keyo do the Bosch ones still fit in the cable holders? 

Yes mate fit fine- think you will have a mission finding them now mate- I did get them from Heritage - I think they were sold more in the American market as it says lifetime guarantee on them. As Fen has mentioned Bremi is a good brand as well- in fact Vince uses there coil packs so  he must trust the brand got one on mine. 

Edited by Keyo

FYI I've managed to buy some Beru leads. It seems they are still available for coilpack VRs but obsolete for earlier distributor VRs. Most places don't stock them unfortunately so they need to be back ordered from the manufacturer.

Beru part number ZEF1260.

On 9/5/2020 at 2:44 PM, JonnyHull said:

FYI I've managed to buy some Beru leads. It seems they are still available for coilpack VRs but obsolete for earlier distributor VRs. Most places don't stock them unfortunately so they need to be back ordered from the manufacturer.

I will look for them. Unfortunately I received some ebay leads today.... Mr Retro leads. Look good and I went for the 8mm, which are hard to fit in the lead covers clips. 

1 lead about 5cm too long

2 leads are slightly tight on the length.

It revs great though, but my tickover doesnt seem the best 😩

Edited by Cressa
Spelling

Just now, g0ldf1ng3r said:

blue magnecor's on my VR6  - a little gentle fettling & they will fit into the channels

tits - didnt read the 1st post sorry LOL

On 9/6/2020 at 11:42 AM, g0ldf1ng3r said:

tits - didnt read the 1st post sorry LOL

👍😁

On 9/5/2020 at 10:16 PM, JonnyHull said:

Conflicting info..... I have contacted them and there reply is that I should have ZEF298

Mine is a coilpack so awaiting crazy confirmation.  I spoke with TPS and he gave me a genuine part number to cross reference 357 998 031. Yet with other suppliers that use this part say NOT for my vehicle WTF

Keyo is yours distributor or Coilpack

Cheers everyone.

46 minutes ago, Cressa said:

👍😁

Conflicting info..... I have contacted them and there reply is that I should have ZEF298

Mine is a coilpack so awaiting crazy confirmation.  I spoke with TPS and he gave me a genuine part number to cross reference 357 998 031. Yet with other suppliers that use this part say NOT for my vehicle WTF

Keyo is yours distributor or Coilpack

Cheers everyone.

Mine is a coil pack mate but remember I have the Bosch ones -  I posted above the Beru catalogue but put a warning out as its not clear. SEF298 is abv but 2.9 in a Mk3 golf so might be the synchro that only came in LHD one ? For corrado only lists 4 cylinder engines. If you look at my post above chap and download the catalogue all will make sense. 

Edited by Keyo

On 9/5/2020 at 2:44 PM, JonnyHull said:

ZEF298

VW Corrado (53i) 2.9 VR6, Year of Construction 08.1991 - 12.1995, 2861 , 190 PS

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/beru/992249

ZEF1260

These appear to be for AAA blocks but I imagine they would be similar but are not correct for ABV from this site and also Beru catalogue . 

• VW Golf III Hatchback (1H1) (Year of Construction 01.1992 - 08.1997, 174 PS, Petrol)
  • VW Passat B3/B4 Saloon (3A2, 35i) (Year of Construction 06.1991 - 08.1996, 174 PS, Petrol)
  • VW Passat B3/B4 Estate (3A5, 35i) (Year of Construction 06.1991 - 05.1997, 174 PS, Petrol)
  • VW Sharan I (7M8, 7M9, 7M6) (Year of Construction 09.1995 - 04.2000, 174 PS, Petrol)
  • VW Vento (1H2) (Year of Construction 01.1992 - 09.1998, 174 PS, Petrol)
  • https://www.autodoc.co.uk/beru/992710#

However read the information for both think it describes it for coil pack/dizzy etc- My Bosch ones came with 7 leads and fitted fine just was left one spare so coils and dizzy might be the same leads. 

Edited by Keyo

Bosch Ignition Lead 0986356384

This is a genuine Bosch part and comes with an extended 5 Year Guarantee.

This part is equivalent to the following part numbers: BOSCH: B 384, VW: 021 905 409 F, VW: 021 905 409 J, VW: 021 905 409 N, VW: 021 905 409 T, BERU: ZEF1260, BOSCH: B 384, BOUGICORD: 7153, BOUGICORD: 9529, BREMI: 212F200

Notes: Connector type: SAE, Outer diameter [mm]: 7

Sorry for the text size. I have managed to find some of your bosch ones I think.. 5yr guarantee looks good and just over £50. Still the cross reference is Beru 1260!! Honestly I cant see what difference the leads would between an ABV and AAA engine . Even the websites state differing lengths for the same model products.. 

beru Zef298 - 55,69,69,85,85,97cm

beru Zef1260 -58,71,71,87,87,98cm

I will measure what my old ones are today

On 8/23/2020 at 2:33 PM, Cressa said:

I was originally considering Mr Retro leads that are on ebay, the 8mm ones.

I got a set of mr-retro ones. They're good. Not 8mm though, 7mm so they will fit in the plastic guides.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-7MM-PERFORMANCE-IGNITION-LEADS-VR6-CORRADO-VR6-PASSAT-OBD1-QUALITY-HT-LEADS/121989319594?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edited by culshaw

4 hours ago, Cressa said:

Bosch Ignition Lead 0986356384

This is a genuine Bosch part and comes with an extended 5 Year Guarantee.

This part is equivalent to the following part numbers: BOSCH: B 384, VW: 021 905 409 F, VW: 021 905 409 J, VW: 021 905 409 N, VW: 021 905 409 T, BERU: ZEF1260, BOSCH: B 384, BOUGICORD: 7153, BOUGICORD: 9529, BREMI: 212F200

Notes: Connector type: SAE, Outer diameter [mm]: 7

Sorry for the text size. I have managed to find some of your bosch ones I think.. 5yr guarantee looks good and just over £50. Still the cross reference is Beru 1260!! Honestly I cant see what difference the leads would between an ABV and AAA engine . Even the websites state differing lengths for the same model products.. 

beru Zef298 - 55,69,69,85,85,97cm

beru Zef1260 -58,71,71,87,87,98cm

I will measure what my old ones are today

Bosch just make one set for the Corrado now, like Keyo says it’s so they fit a distributor or coil pack. I found the Bosch ones just a bit long for the coil pack and looked a bit untidy. There won’t be any difference on the aaa to ABV as they are the same head, coil pack and plastic trim

The difference between the AAA and ABV leads is 100 hp 😂  

Edited by Keyo

2 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Bosch just make one set for the Corrado now, like Keyo says it’s so they fit a distributor or coil pack. I found the Bosch ones just a bit long for the coil pack and looked a bit untidy. There won’t be any difference on the aaa to ABV as they are the same head, coil pack and plastic trim

Look on the part diagram will probably have the leads sizes on etka - Im sure the Schick alters the way they sit from memory. 

Look on here all number 5  with measurements. 

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/COR/year/1995/drive_standart/76/hg_ug/905/subcategory/199000/part_id/3706212/lange

Make sure you look at the 93- 95. F 50-P-010 001>> on each lead as there is an early and late for each one. 

Although annoyingly they only have the dimensions of the early unless they are the same size. 

Edited by Keyo

They aren’t the same size I’m sure Dizzy ones are longer as it sticks out more and a longer lead to get to the bottom of it. It must be to justify a run they just do a one fits all pack. 

1 hour ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

They aren’t the same size I’m sure Dizzy ones are longer as it sticks out more and a longer lead to get to the bottom of it. It must be to justify a run they just do a one fits all pack. 

That's what I would have thought too

12 minutes ago, Cressa said:

That's what I would have thought too

Annoyingly don't have the measurements for late only early then - might well explain the confusion of the leads and part numbers with aftermarket leads.