KarlosG60

How is rear view mirror mounted?

My Corrado never wear a rear view mirror because I was always at first place in the road, so far from the others, so I never need it 

Ok, joking. I bought years ago a mirror, but I didn't know how to mounted, so now I will like to do it, but I don't know if it use some kind glue and works or I need a support or something.

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks and regards

54 minutes ago, KarlosG60 said:

My Corrado never wear a rear view mirror because I was always at first place in the road, so far from the others, so I never need it 

Ok, joking. I bought years ago a mirror, but I didn't know how to mounted, so now I will like to do it, but I don't know if it use some kind glue and works or I need a support or something.

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks and regards

The windscreen should have a circular bracket part number 535845543  that it clicks onto.  Comes on new windscreen. 

Look on photos of ebay link. 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-Corrado-53I-Frontscheibe-Windschutzscheibe-grun-Blaukeil-Sh-Autoglas-Glas-neu/153836343153?hash=item23d15c4f71:g:wKUAAOSwFZNeSvSK

Edited by Keyo

11 hours ago, Keyo said:

The windscreen should have a circular bracket part number 535845543  that it clicks onto.  Comes on new windscreen. 

Look on photos of ebay link. 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-Corrado-53I-Frontscheibe-Windschutzscheibe-grun-Blaukeil-Sh-Autoglas-Glas-neu/153836343153?hash=item23d15c4f71:g:wKUAAOSwFZNeSvSK

Thanks. I didn't search correctly at ETKA...

And how is it mounted on windscreen? Some kind of glue? Or the bracket cames with a sticker or something?

Edited by KarlosG60

24 minutes ago, KarlosG60 said:

Thanks. I didn't search correctly at ETKA...

And how is it mounted on windscreen? Some kind of glue? Or the bracket cames with a sticker or something?

It must be glued on and the sticker is to hide it from outside of car   I imagine- how bad is your windscreen - the clip is very expensive Between £40-£50 only last couple left was £11.00 earlier this year. . - if your windscreen is old with faults it might be better to use insurance and get new screen with clip (make sure screen comes with clip). Maybe VW dealer sells for cheaper the clip. 

Edited by Keyo

10 minutes ago, Keyo said:

It must be glued on and the sticker is to hide it from outside of car   I imagine- how bad is your windscreen - the clip is very expensive Between £40-£50 only last couple left was £11.00 earlier this year. . - if your windscreen is old with faults it might be better to use insurance and get new screen with clip (make sure screen comes with clip). Maybe VW dealer sells for cheaper the clip. 

Well, the car haven't insurance right now and I think my windscreen is in good conditions (maybe it's the original, I don't know).

Do you know if any other VW shares the bracket, or maybe I can use another from Golf MKIII ? I search in ETKA and in VWClassic, but I think they are very different 🙁

1H0 845541 Placa de sujeción para retrovisor interior VW & Seat

I will call to my dealer later today... Who knows...

Thanks Keyo. Regards

Edited by KarlosG60

Unfortunately the 535 at the beginning means it is a Corrado specific part - the first three digits indicate the Medellin number.

Maybe it would be possible to remove the mount from a car that is being broken for parts if the bonding is not too strong?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Maybe it would be possible to remove the mount from a car that is being broken for parts if the bonding is not too strong?

Do you mean, of another car, like Golf 3 or something?

Because I don't know if I can find a Corrado in a scrapyard in this days, but this is a thing that I did a lot in the past and I found even a four BBS RM (which I sold, 🤦‍♂️) and right now here we are in weekends lockdowns until the curve goes down again.

Golf 3 is different, the part number indicates that it is a Corrado specific item - but if you ask on the Facebook Corrado groups or put a post in the "Wanted" section on here, there are always a few cars being broken for parts. I wouldn't be too confident that the bracket would come off without damage, so if it was me I would probably just buy the part - do a careful search and it might turn up cheaper elsewhere.

You might be able to remove the bracket from an old windscreen using something like dental floss.
Years ago, my one just fell off, so I re-attached it using special loctite glue: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Loctite-81706001-Rear-Mirror-Bonder/dp/B0001P0DLU

You cut a circular patch, from this mesh stuff that's in the kit, and apply the glue. Hold it all to the screen for a few minutes and it's done.

(maybe it's the original, I don't know).

Wouldn’t think so as all Corrados came with a rear view mirror fitted from the factory in Germany as standard equipment. 

I've got a golf 5 mirror but without the mounting bracket. Would there be any way to mount it on the screen and connect it up?

5 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

(maybe it's the original, I don't know).

Wouldn’t think so as all Corrados came with a rear view mirror fitted from the factory in Germany as standard equipment. 

The preivous owner said to me it felt down by hand stroke. I never check if appears VW logo at windscreen. In any case if my only chance is to buy the "holder" for 50e... 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, joebloggsVR69 said:

You might be able to remove the bracket from an old windscreen using something like dental floss.
Years ago, my one just fell off, so I re-attached it using special loctite glue: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Loctite-81706001-Rear-Mirror-Bonder/dp/B0001P0DLU

You cut a circular patch, from this mesh stuff that's in the kit, and apply the glue. Hold it all to the screen for a few minutes and it's done.

That's a good idea, because the difference of buying  the holder/bracket and a used windscreen is not too big to discard the option of buying one, extract it from it (if it's easy to do, I don't know) and install to my windscreen and save the other windscreen for whatever.

8 hours ago, fendervg said:

Golf 3 is different, the part number indicates that it is a Corrado specific item - but if you ask on the Facebook Corrado groups or put a post in the "Wanted" section on here, there are always a few cars being broken for parts. I wouldn't be too confident that the bracket would come off without damage, so if it was me I would probably just buy the part - do a careful search and it might turn up cheaper elsewhere.

Where is that FB group? 

I cannot write posts in others section yet.

Thank you guys.

Edited by KarlosG60

I got mine from classic parts not too long ago. Didnt think it was a crazy price tho !!

16053846783454143054066975258929.jpg

21 hours ago, Cressa said:

I got mine from classic parts not too long ago. Didnt think it was a crazy price tho !!

16053846783454143054066975258929.jpg

VWClassic had it? F*ck...

Do you sell it?

1 hour ago, KarlosG60 said:

VWClassic had it? F*ck...

Do you sell it?

Here is the website search part number- I think they have sold out and now obsolete and last few are now with aftermarket sellers asking four times the cost.  Ironically I scrapped what was left of a Corrado a week back - the only thing left was a windscreen and that clip and inner panels- little did I know it could of topped up my pension account with that clip 😀 

Cressa did your new windscreen come with the clip mounted on the screen from Sekurit ? 

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/

Edited by Keyo

3 minutes ago, Cressa said:

New windscreen came with the clip mate, yes 👍

Thank god for that chap= I wonder if the clip on the screen is a vag one otherwise St Gobain might stop making them. 

Still searching... 

I have contacted several sites and people. Not lucky at all (someone had windscreen, too expensive with shipping). 

So, if someone like to make a profitable deal... 

Next week hopefully we can go free without restrictions anywhere and I can visit some scrapyard. 

Edited by KarlosG60

1 hour ago, KarlosG60 said:

Still searching... 

I have contacted several sites and people. Not lucky at all (someone had windscreen, too expensive with shipping). 

So, if someone like to make a profitable deal... 

Next week hopefully we can go free without restrictions anywhere and I can visit some scrapyard. 

Hows about if you buy some vey dark tinted film- cut the same like factory then stick mirror on to film with tiger seal - only you will know and will be very strong. 

Edited by Keyo

19 minutes ago, Cressa said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302343709635

One for sale 👍 or make me an offer for mine, without me feeling guilty 

The one on ebay is the last one in the world and sold by Nick the Greek so  I would  value Cressa's gold nugget at 1 million dollars and rising daily. . 

A bargain at double the price!

Still cheaper than a replacement screen and all the attendant hassle, unless you can get it done on insurance.

9 minutes ago, Keyo said:

The one on ebay is the last one in the world and sold by Nick the Greek so  I would  value Cressa's gold nugget at 1 million dollars and rising daily. . 

🤣🤣🤣 

1 hour ago, fla said:

just seen his shop (nkautomotive) - things do seems pretty astronomically priced, but perhaps some people do buy from him??

I've bought some small items off nk in the past - he wasn't always that overprices - he seems to have jacked up all the prices (adding Corrado tax and multiplying by at least two) in the last couple of years - but then he woudn't be the only one doing that. Anything I bought was genuine VW and new, and had no problems.  It's not cheap, but I've seen much worse rip-offs.

What was the last VAG dealer list price anyway?