Sallyanne

Disc & pad recommendations

Hi all, I had my front discs and all pads replaced a couple of years ago on my VR6 (with apparently good quality parts) but I have a terrible and embarrassing squeak every time I hit the brakes from the front (driver’s side I think). Am happy to change them again if necessary. Can someone point me in the best direction for the best parts?

I thought it might be lack of use for quite a long time but have been driving it most days for the last few months.

Edited by Sallyanne

Often a bit of copper grease on the back of the pads (not the side facing the disc) will sort this out -  could also be a sign of a seizing piston in the calliper.

Alternatively, some pads will just squeal like a pig - I had this with Ferrodo DS2500s, and while they were great at stopping, they produced a lot of noise and dust.

For the last few years I've just been running the OE discs and pads from VW, and haven't had any issues whatsoever.

They need stripping and cleaning every couple of years as rust on the pads and the carriers where they both meet leads to them jamming and the pads wearing wedge shaped if not corrected.

40 minutes ago, Dox said:

They need stripping and cleaning every couple of years as rust on the pads and the carriers where they both meet leads to them jamming and the pads wearing wedge shaped if not corrected.

Ah but they’ve been squealing since both the discs and pads were brand new so I don’t think that’s the cause. It’s my 4th Corrado over the last 30 years and this has never happened before hence thinking it’s whatever make has been fitted is the cause.

I've bought cars with new pads fitted with a receipt for doing so and the fitter didn't clean rust off the carrier or copper grease the pads or carrier and they were jammed solid - I had to lever them out.

3 hours ago, Dox said:

I've bought cars with new pads fitted with a receipt for doing so and the fitter didn't clean rust off the carrier or copper grease the pads or carrier and they were jammed solid - I had to lever them out.

Yeah there's certainly some cowboys out there unfortunately!

13 hours ago, fendervg said:

Often a bit of copper grease on the back of the pads (not the side facing the disc) will sort this out -  could also be a sign of a seizing piston in the calliper.

Alternatively, some pads will just squeal like a pig - I had this with Ferrodo DS2500s, and while they were great at stopping, they produced a lot of noise and dust.

For the last few years I've just been running the OE discs and pads from VW, and haven't had any issues whatsoever.

I’m running these Ferodo pads on the front but with Brembo grooved discs, I can report Zero front noise but they start to break up when they get a bit thin. Excellent stopping power to standard. 

I agree with dox however, squeaky brakes usually means something is sticking and not moving like it should, it needs stripping down to see why and then putting back together properly using a bit of copper slip in the right places. 

If you want to replace them, I'd just go with Pagid disks and pads. They're middle of the road as far as performance goes, and I've been fitting them to countless cars over the past 10 years without issue. Have a look on eurocarparts as they're always pretty cheap anyway, and there are discount codes pretty much all the time.