BlueVR6

Bilstein B12 Kit

Evening,

I am currently refurbishing my VR6 Corrado after 16 years of driving.  Going for full respray and powder coating front subframes and rear axle anoungst other things.

Whilst doing this i am going to replace the Front and Rear suspension and have just received the B12 Kit from Bilstein.

After some studying on the forum i found this post below - 

Bilstein B12 kit question - Page 2 - Drivetrain - The Corrado Forum (the-corrado.net)

As this notes, there have been historical issues with the springs from Eibach that comes with the Kit.  I checked the Spring part numbers today and it seems that i have received the shorter rear springs (EW 8513002 HA).  I was wondering if anybody has fitted this kit with the EW 8513002 HA rear springs and had any issues, i.e. does it sit lower at the rear compared to the front?  How does it drive / handle?

If anybody has fitted the kit and could let me know how it is that would be great.  I don't want to go and fit all this and then find out that i need to take it all to pieces again.

Cheers Mike

Yeah I had them fitted with incorrect springs for a short while. They do sit lower, though probably only 5mm in it. I didn't immediately realise they were wrong as even the rear ride improved a lot over the Weitec coilovers that were on it before. It's not so much the height that's an issue though as much as the spring rate due to the length. The correct part rides so much better again and I'm really pleased with them now. If you bought them new from a genuine supplier, they should be able to sort it out for you.

Cheers for the response, i got them online from Bilstien.  I will give them a call in the morning to see if they can sort something out.

Oh and just to double check, was the rear spring you fitted 8512002?

Yeah the correct ones I have fitted now are 8512002. 👍 Good luck with Bilstein. As I put in the post you linked, their customer service was nothing short of disgraceful when I raised the issue with them directly.

Edited by seanl82

57 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

Yeah the correct ones I have fitted now are 8512002. 👍 Good luck with Bilstein. As I put in the post you linked, their customer service was nothing short of disgraceful when I raised the issue with them directly.

Did this apply  to just Bilstein B12 or would it be the same issue eibach  with B4 and B6 ? I changed mine to the second spring 8512002  but never tried to install the rear springs that came originally in the box. 

Edited by Keyo

It's the B6 dampers in the B12 'kit' so yeah. I don't know about the B4 dampers but imagine it would be, as they'll be the same length due to the application but will have a softer damping and won't be designed to run with a stiffer and shorter spring in the eibach. 

8 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

It's the B6 dampers in the B12 'kit' so yeah. I don't know about the B4 dampers but imagine it would be, as they'll be the same length due to the application but will have a softer damping and won't be designed to run with a stiffer and shorter spring in the eibach. 

I think the b12 kit has B8 mate which are shorter then b4 and b6 .  my car sits fine on B4 and eibach I just never fitted the original rear springs and do wonder if it does just apply to B12.- I do remember the eiback rear springs  i never fitted were shorter then the H and r that came off the car.but was not sure whether  that was from wear. 

Bilstein have a very comprehensive product range from original equipment (OE) shock absorbers to professional motorsport applications. It can be confusing so this guide will explain some of the differences between the main products to help you make an informed choice.

We now have a Video guide about this - check it out HERE and don't forget to subscribe for more news and info!

Shock absorbers

Bilstein B4 - These are classed as a replacement damper. A few B4 variations exist depending on the vehicle application but these are all intended to replace the standard shocks fitted when the car was new.

Bilstein B6 - A non adjustable sport damper which is painted yellow. The B6 damper is designed for the motorist that wants a sporty ride without lowering the car or changing the original springs.

Bilstein B8 - just like the B6 shock absorber but shorter. These are only for use with lowering springs or where listed for vehicles with factory sports suspension. The are shorter to ensure the all important coil spring pre load as lowering springs are shorter than OE springs.

Suspension Kits

Bilstein B12 Sportline - Contains 4 x Bilstein B8 shocks and Eibach Sportline lowering springs. This kit is non adjustable with typical lowering of upto 50mm

Bilstein B12 Pro-kit - Contains 4 x Bilstein B8 shocks and Eibach Pro kit lowering springs. Typical lowering 30-40mm to give the perfect balance between looks and performance. This kit is non adjustable.

Bilstein B14 (PSS) - An height adjustable coil over kit with lowering between 30-50mm front and rear to fine tune your look.

Bilstein B16 (PSS10) - An fully adjustable coil over kit. Lowering up to 30-50mm and 10 pressure adjustments. This kit allows quick and easy parallel adjustment of bump and rebound with a twist of a dial. Flexibility for road use or track.

Bilstein ClubSport - The ultimate kit. Complete flexibility allowing 100 setting variations. You can easily adjust the bump and rebound separately to fine tune your kit to any track.

This kit can be used on the road but is better suited for the track.

Is it because the eibach springs which are 25mm were designed to go on the factory height  shocks  I wonder  . I will get some pics sonn get some opinions if you think mt car is sitting right- its on factory speeds at the moment  for winter. 

Edited by Keyo

There's known issues with the spring plates needing to be changed and incorrect spring lengths in the kit, although as far as I know anyone one here who had the issues was able to get the springs replaced with the correct ones. I think that some manufacturers don't differentiate between the Corrado/Golf3 VR6 wide track "Plus Achsel" suspension layout  and the the 16v/G60 and make only one kit, plus there was a change in spring height and top plate during the life time of the VR6.

I run B6 shocks with the green H&R 30mm springs on standard 15" wheels, and to me it handles and looks just right for a daily.

Cheers for the help on this.  Just want to avoid the hassle of fitting this and then finding that its not right, cars been off the road for 2 years now so want to get it all up and running by this spring.

I've gone back to Bilstien this morning and waiting to hear back from them.  I've got a feeling they will try and blame Eibach though seeing as its their parts, so i may try and contact Eibach as well to see if they can help.

Or you could just send them back and get the Koni adjustable dampening and h and r springs which stealth has said is the best set up for donkey years . 

I've got the B12 kit (B8 & Eibach springs) and bought via Larkspeed. I had the issue with the rear springs and larkspeed handled the comms with Eibach. Both Eibach and Larkspeed were aware and I had new springs sent out from Eibach within a week.

I didn't ever fit the incorrect ones but have seen on facebook where some have. Some cars look normal with them and others look like they are sitting down on their rear wheels. My car sits equally all round, perhaps a touch nose down but that matches stock setup.

The eibach kit can be used on all corrados, so I'm guessing the original spec springs were for the early cars with their smaller fuel tank where as the revised springs cater for the later cars with a heavier fuel tank. Don't know really though and I'm just guessing. 

Drive wise - they're great. Not as soft as stock but good damping and a relative comfortable ride able to handle a rutted B road without being harsh. 

I did some reserach earlier this year and found out the springs rates for H&R and had confirmation from EIbach that their springs rates were 10% softer than H&R.

I'm on stock speedlines but soon to change to 16in speedlines so my opinion of harshness might change! 

I remember reading somewhere that late VR6s had different springs fitted both because of the fuel tank and to make the car sit a little higher (if that was even possible!) than before as buyers were complaining that they were grounding on ramps, scuffing sill panels and damaging the front splitter - hence the 50mm spoiler on later cars rather thank the earlier 90mm.

I know from when I changed to H&R/B6s that on my 93 car, the factory springs were different to those on later VRs, and it sat slightly lower all round - having said that I also had the 70 litre tank, as I believe all VRs had, so the above reasons don't really make much sense.

These things are very hard to judge as the original factory suspension will be very old and saggy, and many cars have had their suspension modded to some degree at some stage - would be interesting to get hold of new or NOS VW OEM springs and shocks (not sure if that is even possible at this stage)  and compare.

If you check on ETKA, you will see two different spring part #s split by year/chassis number.

13 minutes ago, fendervg said:

I remember reading somewhere that late VR6s had different springs fitted both because of the fuel tank and to make the car sit a little higher (if that was even possible!) than before as buyers were complaining that they were grounding on ramps, scuffing sill panels and damaging the front splitter - hence the 50mm spoiler on later cars rather thank the earlier 90mm.

I know from when I changed to H&R/B6s that on my 93 car, the factory springs were different to those on later VRs, and it sat slightly lower all round - having said that I also had the 70 litre tank, as I believe all VRs had, so the above reasons don't really make much sense.

These things are very hard to judge as the original factory suspension will be very old and saggy, and many cars have had their suspension modded to some degree at some stage - would be interesting to get hold of new or NOS VW OEM springs and shocks (not sure if that is even possible at this stage)  and compare.

If you check on ETKA, you will see two different spring part #s split by year/chassis number.

It doesnt give you much hope when you think have eibach even tested late springs correctly . 

Members  does my car look like its sitting the way it should- on B4 and eibach  20 -25mm with the rear springs that are sent afterwards like other posters on here. Second picture is perfectly flat ground. 

Thank you 

DSC_0561.JPG

r4.jpg

Edited by Keyo

My car sits the same as yours Keyo. I prefer it that way as the original setup was slightly nose down and arse up. When you're moving on the road the arse squats down a bit too.

Here's mine BUT - no interior and not much fuel in the tank

Whats-App-Image-2020-08-14-at-19-40-31-3

2 minutes ago, MJA said:

My car sits the same as yours Keyo. I prefer it that way as the original setup was slightly nose down and arse up. When you're moving on the road the arse squats down a bit too.

Here's mine BUT - no interior and not much fuel in the tank

Whats-App-Image-2020-08-14-at-19-40-31-3

Nice one mate I will put it to rest ha. 

Here it is STOCK - the rear always kicked up a little higher

I do think pre 93 cars sat lower and if i could find those springs I would change for them if running stock speedlines. Don't think it would look right on 16s though. 

IMG-2967.jpg

I think it looks just about right for a 20-25mm drop, Keyo.

MJA - they were my thoughts on the earlier cars, mine definitely sat lower than the later ones on stock springs.

Here's mine on 15" wheels with the B6/H&R green combo:

corrado_IMG_2444.JPG

corrado_IMG_2194.JPG

• Like 1

I don't think I've seen your car before fen - nice! 

Yeah those stock springs are definitely lower than mine. Maybe only by 1cm but yours looks far less awkward than mine on stock springs.

Thanks - sadly doesn't look anywhere nears as nice as yours or many others on here, especially at the moment! 10 years of being a daily takes it's toll but I try to keep on top of it. It's due some major body work and paint soon though.

I wish I had kept those springs at the time - maybe they are still in my old attic - we still have access there, so may take a look the next time I get a chance.

Well at least yours is being used as intended and all the better for it. I'm scared to use mine at the moment but will hopefully get over myself soon.

Nice motor fen . Early cars sit a lot better - I think late models when you look at the rear of the cars the wheels look odd and almost like the car body / bumper needs to be lower and rap a bit more to the lower wheel .