dozobod

Karman Badge on gear stick housing

Hello,

A question for those who remember when Corrados were almost new.  The Karman badge on the gear stick housing on my Corrado, the clear/black plastic has fallen off leaving behind an all chrome base Karman badge.

I am considering some kind of renovation to make it like new but I am keen to know what the badge actually used to look like.  On mine the clear/black plastic that has fallen off is obviously old, worn and tired and quite thin and flimsy.  The actual plastic almost looks pitted.  What effect was the badge originally?  Was it smooth, matt or a gloss finish?  Was the plastic hard or pliable/rubber like?  The Chrome behind does not really shine though, so I assume the clear/black plastic was probably originally a lot clearer, more transparent.

Not sure if that made much sense but I would appreciate any suggestions with those that remember.  I know, a long time ago.

Thanks,

Ben

42 minutes ago, dozobod said:

Hello,

A question for those who remember when Corrados were almost new.  The Karman badge on the gear stick housing on my Corrado, the clear/black plastic has fallen off leaving behind an all chrome base Karman badge.

I am considering some kind of renovation to make it like new but I am keen to know what the badge actually used to look like.  On mine the clear/black plastic that has fallen off is obviously old, worn and tired and quite thin and flimsy.  The actual plastic almost looks pitted.  What effect was the badge originally?  Was it smooth, matt or a gloss finish?  Was the plastic hard or pliable/rubber like?  The Chrome behind does not really shine though, so I assume the clear/black plastic was probably originally a lot clearer, more transparent.

Not sure if that made much sense but I would appreciate any suggestions with those that remember.  I know, a long time ago.

Thanks,

Ben

https://oem-carstickers.com/index.php/product/corrado-karmann-golden-epoxy-sticker/

karmann.jpg

Thanks for the pic Keyo.  Interesting as yours looks smoother and less pitted than mine.  Just less worn looking.  I once had heater matrix issue and think coolant droplets got into some plastics and leather steering.  The badge may have got pitted by that as certainly it did havoc to the leather on the steering wheel.

Cheers.

1 minute ago, dozobod said:

Thanks for the pic Keyo.  Interesting as yours looks smoother and less pitted than mine.  Just less worn looking.  I once had heater matrix issue and think coolant droplets got into some plastics and leather steering.  The badge may have got pitted by that as certainly it did havoc to the leather on the steering wheel.

Cheers.

Click on the link you can buy the sticker id its in stock. 

12 minutes ago, easypops said:

I’ll be using this one 👍

A8B28E86-0E85-48AD-81F9-CF3AC1A6A6D0.jpeg

Did you get the shift knob and gaiter off of eBay Easy ?

Ive seen one similar and got it on my watch list but was unsure of the fit, does it the Corrado stick ok?  I suppose is the 2nd question 

this is the one I’ve seen

C40E1BA8-C9D1-4F17-8691-A6DF1C7D571E.thumb.png.ae5775c41cb0bdd47ae44f601b09a31b.png

It’s a Reiger knob, so it lights up, I bought it from daves16v a good few years ago, unsure where the gator is from? I’ll see if I’ve got a picture of it fitted 

Edit, just looked at the one you showed, it does look similar, and it lights up as well, so could be the same thing? I like it anyway 😁

12 minutes ago, easypops said:

97C61258-B614-4DCC-949D-4B8B20DCD93F.jpeg

Not sure about the lighting but it looks presentable, what’s it like to man handle 😉

I’ve not actually driven it with it fitted but having had a few goes it feels ok so far, no drama if it becomes an annoyance as I’ve got a couple of original ones to choose from 👍

32 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Not sure about the lighting but it looks presentable, what’s it like to man handle 😉

nice daves16v gear surround 🙂

i put one of these gear knobs on my VR6 a few months back & it is very fondle worthy indeed 😄

03741NR-2-Sparco-Piuma-Gear-Knob-in-Black-Rallynuts.jpg

These are impressive sticks and gaiters!  The Karmann badge without "wheel spokes" is the same design as mine. 

Also see that Easy has Oil pressure and battery gauge like mine.  All very interesting. 

Will post a pic myself at some point but mine is all very standard. 

Keep pics coming.  It is quite interesting to see everyone's take on their interiors......

57 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

Options 😜

Ringer Storm, or NOS Karmann.

PXL_20201202_213810141.jpg

Both look great.  How did you come by the Karmann if you dont mind me asking?

I asked if anyone had one on here a couple of years back and someone offered this up, so I bought it. Sorry I can't give you a supplier though I think there could be some aftermarket ones available. There is a guy on Facebook that does really good quality badges (Renwart), he may be able to help though.

4 hours ago, seanl82 said:

I asked if anyone had one on here a couple of years back and someone offered this up, so I bought it. Sorry I can't give you a supplier though I think there could be some aftermarket ones available. There is a guy on Facebook that does really good quality badges (Renwart), he may be able to help though.

Cheers Sean will look into it.

2 hours ago, Keyo said:

You can still get the external wing badges off Heritage form a Ghia- might be to large and rough on the edges for the cabin though. could sneak it on the external body somewhere. 

Length
97 mm

Width
24 mm

Height
4 mm

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/155853901-badge-karmann-makers-plate.html

Thanks Keyo, will review that.