Keyo

226mm rear brakes

Hi a bit of advice please- its for my mk2 golf valver but hope you dont mind. 

So the rear right brake is seizing it is the stock set up gilring 226 mm. I was thinking it was the clutch burning but after further investigation its the rear brake. I went for quick spin and good smell the burning on the disc and other side disc to touch was cold and bad brake was very hot. could of bee

Will this be the calliper itself or could it be the handbrake cables freezing- weather been very cold this week .

You can stil get a rear set of new OE Gilring for about £180.00 - but the brakes were refurbished a few years back by the looks of it. 

Any advice would be appreciated which way to go. 

I do have a set of used mk4 rear callipers and some 280 mm front in un refurbished condition .

Thanks 

Edited by Keyo

50 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Sorted it with a bit pf lubricant and a smash with my scaffold spanner.

🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Keyo said:

Sorted it with a bit pf lubricant and a smash with my scaffold spanner.

Could have been either tbh. Where did you spray the lubricant? You wanna be careful it didn't go on the disk/pads, as it'll be absorbed by the pad material and end up useless.

8 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

Could have been either tbh. Where did you spray the lubricant? You wanna be careful it didn't go on the disk/pads, as it'll be absorbed by the pad material and end up useless.

I had rhe car facing down the hill mate and sprayed the back where the cable attaches to the the clip and also the handbrake sheaf cable with a straw hoping it would dribble down inside the plastic casing- pretty sure it will play up again as I suppose its just the first signs of something failing - the pads are really confusing though as the ones that seemed to be available where for Lucas callipers and these will be Girling I think . 

Is this why the Mk4 is a popular mod because they like to jam? 

These are the nos availble they are the last few and obsolete. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-of-rear-brake-calipers-Golf-MK2-GTi-1987-92-Corrado-535615423-424-Genuine/123988348887?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Pretty sure the corrado rears are Lucas from memory ?

Edited by Keyo

Yeah the handbrake mechanism on the Corrado calipers are what are prone to seizing. In all honesty, refurbishing your current calipers or replacing them for refurbished stock ones and also replacing the handbrake cables would be the best bet imo, and last for many years to come. I'm not sure about the Golf 2 and what manufacturer they use in all honesty. As long as the size is correct, I expect they'll fit. Usually manufacturer changes are due to size/model type so say a 1.3 might use a Lucas with a smaller disk, and the GTI might use Girling with a larger one. Just a guess but thats usually how it is.

Just checked mate they are Girling . As you say looks like I have another job on the list - the callipers have had someone work but by the looks of it just a paint of black and some green stuff pads - they look nice but hey ho that dont mean they work well - all to common when you buy a car and think great thats one job that dont need doing but comes back to bite you on the ass- nation of half jobbers 😅

Trust me, mk4s are just as likely to seize, the best option is to work the levers hard backwards and forwards with the cables off until the levers return to there stops every time, spray the lever shaft with lube as you do this.

some mk4s bring the alloy threads out with the banjo or the nipple too.

1 minute ago, Dox said:

Trust me, mk4s are just as likely to seize, the best option is to work the levers hard backwards and forwards with the cables off until the levers return to there stops every time, spray the lever shaft with lube as you do this.

some mk4s bring the alloy threads out with the banjo or the nipple too.

Thanks Dox thats good to know about the Mk4. 

It's just a bad handbrake actuation design - common to all VWs/Audis that have them. The main thing is to actually use the handbrake on a regular basis to exercise them and to make sure everything is clean and moves freely as above.