fla

Starter solenoid screws seized

Need some suggestions here. Looking to strip down and service my spare starter but two of the three solenoid screws are seized solid. Tried release oil, rubber band on screwdriver drill bit, cut a slot and tried an impact driver. No luck. Any more suggestions?

Thanks.

Hasan

20210313_175624.jpg

20210313_175637.jpg

20210313_175652.jpg

My least favourite thing in the entire world. You might be able to get a chisel in the slot you've cut and go with a hammer. But as you've already tried an impact driver it might not work.

From there all I can think is to drill them out, which is what I tend to just do these days. Doesn't take too long and very rarely does anything else work I find.

I have never had a seized bolt unseize with penetrating fluid. You might have some luck with those reverse thread extractors, but the ones I have found just have a drill fitting and the drill doesn't have enough torque - or you can't clamp it tight enough and it spins in the chuck. They should make them so a socket fits on them so you can get a good steady leverage by hand. 

Good luck!

Good suggestions. 

Ive got a set of stud extractors and a centre drill bit so I'll try that, oneohtwo. But you're right when i tried to unscrew with the drill it just didn't have the torque

The torx solution seems ingenious! 

Its damn annoying when it should really be a straightforward task. The actual refurb will be a breeze compared to this..

Edited by fla

Thanks Ger - unfortunately i don't have a proper heat source plus I'd be a bit concerned with heat near to the motor

I would second using star/torx sockets and hammering them in - have always had great success, even with completely rounded allen-head bolts in the past, but not sure if that would work in this case.

Beware that there are two types of extractors - cheap and the ones that work. The proper ones have almost straight bodies and are made out of super hard unobtainium - the ones that are fluted or tapered are practically no use. Best to check out a decent pro set online or from a motor factor - you won't regret it and will get years of use out of them and will get bonus points when you led them out for your friends.