Sign in to follow this  
GrahamU

Front arch liners on lowered cars

Dropped my car on the floor at the weekend, first time with wings and arch liners in for many years, when I drove it I noticed the tyres scrape the liners and its not that low, 

So what do people do with the liner when they drop them right down?

i guess they remove them

ive got my KW's set at 2 finger gap between top of tyre & the bottom of the wing, this is ok the majority of the time unless im going fairly quick & there is a short big bump in the road when i then get a slight rub on the rebound

i guess it depends on the J width of the wheels that are being ran as well as the liners arch downwards as they approach the wing

12 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

i guess they remove them

ive got my KW's set at 2 finger gap between top of tyre & the bottom of the wing, this is ok the majority of the time unless im going fairly quick & there is a short big bump in the road when i then get a slight rub on the rebound

i guess it depends on the J width of the wheels that are being ran as well as the liners arch downwards as they approach the wing

2 fingers with or without the weight of the driver?

2 minutes ago, Dox said:

2 fingers with or without the weight of the driver?

without driver

my KW's are V1's so no adjustments other than height unfortunately

if the OP's got that ability i would play around with bound & rebound settings to try & firm it up or just jack the coilovers up a touch

id be hesitant to remove the arch liners due to all the crap off the road getting up into the engine bay but that would also depend on how many miles it covers each year, if minimal then i guess you could keep on top of the bay cleaning

1 minute ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

without driver

my KW's are V1's so no adjustments other than height unfortunately

if the OP's got that ability i would play around with bound & rebound settings to try & firm it up or just jack the coilovers up a touch

id be hesitant to remove the arch liners due to all the crap off the road getting up into the engine bay but that would also depend on how many miles it covers each year, if minimal then i guess you could keep on top of the bay cleaning

I have Koni coilovers so will be playing with adjustment, 

The rear is sitting 20mm higher than the front so I plan to go up 10 on the front and down 10 on the rear but the camber on the front is quite bad with the top in a long way so I am concerned that when the camber is sorted it will be back to the same situation even though its not very low.

It does have spacers to clear the Brembo's as well

4 minutes ago, GrahamU said:

I have Koni coilovers so will be playing with adjustment, 

The rear is sitting 20mm higher than the front so I plan to go up 10 on the front and down 10 on the rear but the camber on the front is quite bad with the top in a long way so I am concerned that when the camber is sorted it will be back to the same situation even though its not very low.

It does have spacers to clear the Brembo's as well

what wheels are you running graham?

im still on the 15" speedlines & also run 10mm spacers on the front to clear my 4 pots - my running height is fine 99% of the time, it is only those small sharp rise bumps that cause a slight rub as the weight shifts downwards

have your Koni's got bound & rebound adjustment?

i guess another possible route would be to get a higher spring weight on the coilover springs but obviously that is an expensive option

Mine are 205/40/17

To be honest I'll need to check if the Koni's have both bump and rebound, I bought them quite some time ago 

I wasn't sure if people did remove the liners because it seems a bit risky to get all the dirt and water up there

1 hour ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

What et are the wheels?

that can be important too. 

I think the lowest (or highest) offset without rubbing (on the back) is 32. Ideally 33 to 43. I assume something similar at the front?

2 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

What et are the wheels?

that can be important too. 

You're assuming the rest is standard, you haven't seen my build have you 🤣 the wheels do sit further out than standard

3 hours ago, GrahamU said:

Mine are 205/40/17

To be honest I'll need to check if the Koni's have both bump and rebound, I bought them quite some time ago 

I wasn't sure if people did remove the liners because it seems a bit risky to get all the dirt and water up there

Not sure if it was the cause Graham, but I had to cut out and weld in a new inner wing due to rot. My car was very low when I bought it so my guess is that a previous owner removed the liners to "slam it". Even the oil pump pickup had a crack in it and had scored the inside of the sump! Surprisingly engine is still strong and in good health though!

On 6/29/2021 at 10:26 PM, seanl82 said:

Not sure if it was the cause Graham, but I had to cut out and weld in a new inner wing due to rot. My car was very low when I bought it so my guess is that a previous owner removed the liners to "slam it". Even the oil pump pickup had a crack in it and had scored the inside of the sump! Surprisingly engine is still strong and in good health though!

Thanks Sean, that's what I would be worried about if removing is the answer

worst case I'll modify some with the soft fabric designs they use these days 🙂