Keyo

Disc cut in left vr hub Passenger side

Hi I have noticed the disc cut in my refurbished hub would of happened when an old bolt was cut out- its not very deep but should I source another one as it could be dangerous ? ? 

Its the left side passenger for a VR . Think it where the ball joint houses from the wishbone. 

Thanks 

980051CB-C12A-4AB8-823F-C4C364E5A9D2.jpeg

6D14FEC1-8745-4B57-B130-E8809DF36007.png

9EEF2959-4CFF-4627-817A-DA9F51314CB8.jpeg

2C65DA06-D7D8-41AD-A296-6311399C304F.jpeg

5031AADB-BCA1-442B-95C2-8D9EEE6D0D56.jpeg

Edited by Keyo

Its about 1 to 2 mm deep - recon Im going  to source a second hand one . I imagine the new bearing will be destroyed taking it out 

Edited by Keyo

Looks to be where the track rod end fits into. I would replace it due to the fact it's on the stress point. You certainly wouldn't want that to break when you're thundering round a corner! 😬

12 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

Looks to be where the track rod end fits into. I would replace it due to the fact it's on the stress point. You certainly wouldn't want that to break when you're thundering round a corner! 😬

Totally agree bit of a pain need to source a  passenger side - better safe then sorry . 

I have sourced another one for £20.00 and the bearing- 99 percent sure it would be fine but that 1 percent would nag me to hell. Yu can still buy these new by the way from classics for 266 euro - of course thats is double the cost of a Genuine 16v mk2 one otherwise I would of just purchased new.  

I’d fit a new bearing, the CV holds it all together, if the weight of the car has been on the tyre without the cv in place it’s life will be limited

I would dremel it smooth to remove any point stress and then touch it up with hammerite or something similar. In fact you could also just use a round file to take that hard edge off.  You'd just end up with a slight dip along the line.  If you really wanted to, you could get some weld put in and ground back. 

Edited by fla

I would have thought it is fine. Has been until now.

Although i thought you would be onto classics for New...

I haven't checked if this fits a VR, but I would love shiny new ones 😍

Screenshot_20210704-215118_Chrome.jpg

Yes vey nice but £500 for  the set and I think knuckles are a bit like callipers wire brush and paint and that’s good  enough for me .,