ABV-VR6

Installing an aftermarket steering wheel

I feel borderline stupid for asking this and I did a bunch of searches on the internet before and I just can't find anything with the same setup that I have. I don't know how to properly hook things up... 

The hub boss has one wire with a female terminal. My steering wheel 4 horns buttons are bridged into one wire with a male terminal. Logics wants me to hook these 2 together but don't I need a ground of some sort? 

And then there's the silver ring that came with the boss, looks like it goes between the steering wheel and the hub boss but since it's a male connector and there's only one then something is missing because I can't hook up my horns this way. 

Lastly do the brass part underneath the hub boss showed in the picture needs to be pressed in a little, is this normal? Because it didn't wanted to go in without mild persuasion... 

Thanks a lot in advance, much appreciated! 

IMG_20210817_121044793.jpg

IMG_20210817_121111546.jpg

Maybe my question is not that stupid then!? I'll post on feck book group to see if I get an answer, cheers! 

I don't unerstand the question tbh.

The horn is usually fed with 12v and the button on the wheel earths on the column - I've had no need to investigate the set up on the Corrado so far.

Ok, I'll try to make my questions clearer then...

1) How do you plug the steering wheel when the horn only has one wire?
All horns I've looked at comes with 2 wires, one for the ground and a 12V.
If I have only one wire, should I deduct the horns are self grounded within the steering wheel?

2) If I install the ring provided with the MOMO Boss, I end up with 2 male terminals but I only have one female terminal. So I don't install it then?

3) I don't have an engine or power in the car now so I don't know what is what. I never installed an aftermarket wheel before either.

The wire coming out of the centre of the boss should be connected to the brass bit in the plastic housing this connects to the horn positive feed, the metal disc with the tab goes between the steering wheel and the boss as you say, this then connects to the horn negative/ground. 
Hope this helps 😉

If there's only one wire from the steering wheel the the buttons earth on the wheel itself?

Use a multimeter on continuity / ohms scale, touch one lead on the metal of the steering wheel, the other on its wire = nothing? Now press a button - you should get a beep or a reading on the ohms scale?

41 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Ok, I'll try to make my questions clearer then...

1) How do you plug the steering wheel when the horn only has one wire?
All horns I've looked at comes with 2 wires, one for the ground and a 12V.
If I have only one wire, should I deduct the horns are self grounded within the steering wheel?

2) If I install the ring provided with the MOMO Boss, I end up with 2 male terminals but I only have one female terminal. So I don't install it then?

3) I don't have an engine or power in the car now so I don't know what is what. I never installed an aftermarket wheel before either.

Put a photo up of the back of the horn connections

10 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

The wire coming out of the centre of the boss should be connected to the brass bit in the plastic housing this connects to the horn positive feed, the metal disc with the tab goes between the steering wheel and the boss as you say, this then connects to the horn negative/ground. 
Hope this helps 😉

What do you mean mate by brass bit in the plastic housing?
The metal disc with the male tab, I figured it is for the ground but I don't have any coming from the steering wheel.
That's where the confusion is coming from, usually the wire from the boss connects to the positive from the horn, then negative to that ring. But I only have one wire?

10 hours ago, Dox said:

If there's only one wire from the steering wheel the the buttons earth on the wheel itself?

Use a multimeter on continuity / ohms scale, touch one lead on the metal of the steering wheel, the other on its wire = nothing? Now press a button - you should get a beep or a reading on the ohms scale?

That is a very good idea. So I did what you suggested and no changes if I press the horn button or not so I guess for conclusion, it's not self grounded within the steering wheel...

10 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Put a photo up of the back of the horn connections

There's nothing more, it's wrapped in leather and nothing more than one wire coming from each horn buttons, then they are all cramped together with that male connector.

Your boss looks the same as my momo  one.  The black wire with the female came with the boss and I made the blue wire to plug into the connections on my horn and boss metal disc as you have. As you can see the steering wheel it is for is also a momo. If you only have one terminal/wire coming out of each horn button they must be earthed through the horn buttons already to the steering wheel and you just need to plug those wires into your female black wire to give it it’s positive feed. 
test it with a battery and a couple of wires the wires coming from the steering wheel to positive through a test bulb/light and a negative wiring touching the steering wheel itself. Push the button and the test light should light up. My brass disk is also pushed in similar to yoursC0995494-70AD-402D-9795-91F81D627690.thumb.jpeg.7a6cadb95e16644ef71c25d2bb8655d0.jpegBB74E635-EC6A-491E-9034-BD220845B880.thumb.jpeg.0295155646a9e6e50c45621512c413e9.jpeg09D0712A-28D6-4792-B9D6-E20348301F71.thumb.jpeg.326c8c0f62dc5c5d68841effc9abfaf6.jpeg642A4F96-FC70-46BD-A004-B597AFEF429E.thumb.jpeg.1d844c1713fef22ac555dc6c10e7410e.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Wish I could help, but not had to go there yet..... although I do have a different steering wheel to go on too. I'll see how you go on 

11 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Your boss looks the same as my momo  one.  The black wire with the female came with the boss and I made the blue wire to plug into the connections on my horn and boss metal disc as you have. As you can see the steering wheel it is for is also a momo. If you only have one terminal/wire coming out of each horn button they must be earthed through the horn buttons already to the steering wheel and you just need to plug those wires into your female black wire to give it it’s positive feed. 
test it with a battery and a couple of wires the wires coming from the steering wheel to positive through a test bulb/light and a negative wiring touching the steering wheel itself. Push the button and the test light should light up. My brass disk is also pushed in similar to yoursC0995494-70AD-402D-9795-91F81D627690.thumb.jpeg.7a6cadb95e16644ef71c25d2bb8655d0.jpegBB74E635-EC6A-491E-9034-BD220845B880.thumb.jpeg.0295155646a9e6e50c45621512c413e9.jpeg09D0712A-28D6-4792-B9D6-E20348301F71.thumb.jpeg.326c8c0f62dc5c5d68841effc9abfaf6.jpeg642A4F96-FC70-46BD-A004-B597AFEF429E.thumb.jpeg.1d844c1713fef22ac555dc6c10e7410e.jpeg

Thanks so much mate for all that explanation and pictures, super appreciated! It seems like all newer horns have both wires just like yours and mine being an old Italvolanti Corsa has just the one. I won't install the silver ring and plug the black wire from the boss directly to the horns one. And yes, you must be right, it's got to be self grounded. Thank you for showing me the brass disc, now I'm sure that it was the right thing to do by forcing it down to be flush.

Thanks a lot, cheers!

2 hours ago, Cressa said:

Wish I could help, but not had to go there yet..... although I do have a different steering wheel to go on too. I'll see how you go on 

No worries mate! I think now both versions (one or two wires) have been covered so you should be golden when it's your time to make it happen.

22 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

test it with a battery and a couple of wires the wires coming from the steering wheel to positive through a test bulb/light and a negative wiring touching the steering wheel itself. Push the button and the test light should light up. My brass disk is also pushed in similar to yoursspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngC0995494-70AD-402D-9795-91F81D627690.thumb.jpeg.7a6cadb95e16644ef71c25d2bb8655d0.jpegBB74E635-EC6A-491E-9034-BD220845B880.thumb.jpeg.0295155646a9e6e50c45621512c413e9.jpeg09D0712A-28D6-4792-B9D6-E20348301F71.thumb.jpeg.326c8c0f62dc5c5d68841effc9abfaf6.jpeg642A4F96-FC70-46BD-A004-B597AFEF429E.thumb.jpeg.1d844c1713fef22ac555dc6c10e7410e.jpeg

I think shaun just wanted to show off that rather nice looking momo wheel there! 

6 minutes ago, fla said:

I think shaun just wanted to show off that rather nice looking momo wheel there! 

Open to offers