oneohtwo

Catalytic Converter

I've noticed recently a lot of heat coming through the transmission tunnel right be the gear shifter into the cabin, and thinking I just need to add more insulation on the inside. But pondering it a bit more I wonder if the Cat is just getting a bit knackered. Before the engine refurb it the exhaust was getting pretty coked up with carbon and I wonder if the Cat has got a bit blocked. It can't be completely ruined as I wouldn't pass the emissions test, but I wonder if it is a bit, and that is causing it to heat up excessively. There is also the slightly unpleasant smell, which I used to put down to an old engine leaking oil everywhere, but know that is clean I wonder if it is also the Cat. I have read that overheating and an odd smell are signs of this. 

So I am thinking of replacing the Cat, and possibly the rest of the exhaust for a quieter system. Anyone else done this because of the above? Any recommendations?

Can't help you mate,  but wondering if one of those carbon clean treatments would.sort it as that goes in at the front and all the crap comes out of the back. 

I do intend on getting the mobile guy near me to do the Corrado just to see if it is any good 

The last I read even a scrap VR6 cat was worth £150, so don't go throwing it away.

You're not wrong on the price of cats. Have been quoted £299.00 for one from Longlife, on top of £499 for the rest of the exhaust, and that doesn't seem unusual. The Miltek cat is pushing 400 and a JP is still £350. Jetex seem to have one for less than £100 for some reason... makes you wonder about the quality.

On 9/19/2021 at 8:31 PM, Cressa said:

I do intend on getting the mobile guy near me to do the Corrado just to see if it is any good 

Have you given it a go? I always assumed that stuff was just snake oil, but would be interested to see if you get some good results.