Keyo

Fords engines catastrophic failure

Wondered if there are any diesel experts on here. 

I have owned ford transits for 20 years and the Mk6 was a cracker- I use the rear wheel drive flat bed lwb versions. 

So my latest one MK7 with 76 k and full service (i look after my vehicles) engine has gone expected  fuel pump failure or timing chain - its a 2012 2.2 turbo engine euro 5. Looking at a 5 k for a new block and labour- feel sick as have been renting now a Merc pick up for 2 weeks and the garage still has not fitted it- its cost me 1400 so far and not spent a penny on the repair yet. 

Knowing a lot of traders been in construction that own these vans - Mk 8 the euro 6 engine blue tech are lasting 60k miles - the rubber timing belts are snapping and apparently the oil is no good after 2 k miles as the engine is degrading the oil in the block. Its eating its own shit. Heard of at least 6 blowing up and even talking to mechanics saying do not touch. 

I always have the double rear axle ( 4 tyres. )  I feel Ford are now a bad investment and they are all made in Turkey - the merc , vw  citreon etc do not come with the rear double axle =  does anyone know if any other brands are making a reliable vehicle ?  I have allays purchased my vans with low mileage an three years old- could it be there is a clocking epidemic going on as most vans are leased and they don't want to pay the additional mileage and get it clocked pre mot - so you are in real life buying a high miler.  Just feel like all new diesel are engines are junk and all turbo for vans and the older larger natrural displacement engines where more reliable. . 

Edited by Keyo

A thread from another forum I frequent, its a 5 cylinder engine

Ford Ranger 3.2 oil changes -

Simple enough job with no risk - think again!

2018 onwards Ford 3.2 Rangers/Mazda BT50 have a vari drive oil pump - leave them draining more than 10mins - they won't prime - no oil pressure - bang.

Only way to prime the pump if left too long is overfill by 5ltrs (plus 9.5L to fill the engine anyway) let it sit and air bleed then start it up - stop it and vac extract the extra 5ltrs and then you will be OK.

Edited by Dox

9 minutes ago, Dox said:

A thread from another forum I frequent, its a 5 cylinder engine

Ford Ranger 3.2 oil changes -

Simple enough job with no risk - think again!

2018 onwards Ford 3.2 Rangers/Mazda BT50 have a vari drive oil pump - leave them draining more than 10mins - they won't prime - no oil pressure - bang.

Only way to prime the pump if left too long is overfill by 5ltrs (plus 9.5L to fill the engine anyway) let it sit and air bleed then start it up - stop it and vac extract the extra 5ltrs and then you will be OK.

Thanks Dox

Strange enough I know the ford Ranger my friend had just over the 3 years and the head cracked- these eco boost engines are absolutely chocolate / gash.   

Im really thinking Japanese now - the Isuzu but the problem is these are built to take 5 ton so therefore the gross weight is less and you can get less weight on as 3.5 ton max without operators licence or 7.5 ton driver which is a rare thing now in scaffolding let alone a scaffolder  and all the crap vosa paper work that comes with it. They should let 3.5 up to 5 ton in the UK I mean its the same size vehicle and it would be better for the vehicle's to have stronger chassis. 

The merc van the cab is just far to high and you cant get under the small tunnels access to courtyards under these new shit pot toy town flats been built - also the tubes slide off as angle so high and will cause damage-  is Iveco the way to go but I always thought these were Ford -I wondering if they use the same engine blocks hmmm.   VW- Citroen- Peugeot have never really been beefed up enough for my trade and only single axle which show the weight badly .   

Interesting RE the Ford Ranger 3.2 seems we all know at least one that has gone pop - there was one in the garage (friend of the garage owner) having a new engine when I was picking up my daily LR Discovery (also known for snapping cranks - PSA developed unit). He said he had fitted a few of them now. 

Does seem the more technical the engines are getting it's not the electricals killing them but mechanical failure instead.

Hello Keyo - sorry to hear about your van 

Are these engines referred to as wet belt engines ?? and if so they have got a very bad reputation see youtube.

As far as i can see at the moment its pure luck with regards to vans - you either get a good one or an absolute basket case

2 hours ago, ger040 said:

Hello Keyo - sorry to hear about your van 

Are these engines referred to as wet belt engines ?? and if so they have got a very bad reputation see youtube.

As far as i can see at the moment its pure luck with regards to vans - you either get a good one or an absolute basket case

Hi Geri hope all is well. I nearly contacted you the other day about a Mk2 BBS 16v body kit in your area- but then engine Armageddon got me eating chicken wings for Xmas dinner this year. 

Mine is a Mk7 .2 with 2.2 turbo - they are hit and miss . The best one was the 2.4 in the Mk 6 and Mk7.1. 

The latest Mk8 .2 eco blue 2.0 will fail no iff or butts- the engine makes the oil degrade after only 2 k miles and destroys the belt- its a rubber belt not a chain like previous models. My mates spent 18 k buying one and it grenaded just out of warrantee at 64 k miles and Ford turned their back on him - cost him 8 k = also the gear boxes are failing.  

Couple of vidoes about the Mk8/ 

Ford say 120 k for the timing belt change. 

F83AF319-150C-488E-B258-3459F3B17079.png

Edited by Keyo

Ive done a lot of research and im moving away from Ford after 20 years. 

A close contender was the Misubushi fuso canter but the problem with them and Isuzu they are 5 ton chassis so you cant get much weight on them )payload) and the flatbeds are to small .

The No 1 choice that ticks all the boxes is the 

payload

reliability

rear double axle ( carriers weight well )

Purchase cost 

Build quality

Iveco Daily 35C14 (4.0M Alloy Dropside) 2.3ltr 140ps Manual Euro 6

Has a proper coach built rear bed - really stands out as the winner- yes these were crap 15 years back but have climbed to the No1 spot. 

iveco.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Any time you see something dont be afraid to ask - where was the body kit listed - facebook??

The days of bullet proof engines are long gone all manufacturers now once out of warranty do not want to know - is this the new norm

what ever happened to  good customer service - that incident you refer to is an absolute disgrace and the dealer / ford should be ashamed 

4 minutes ago, ger040 said:

Any time you see something dont be afraid to ask - where was the body kit listed - facebook??

The days of bullet proof engines are long gone all manufacturers now once out of warranty do not want to know - is this the new norm

what ever happened to  good customer service - that incident you refer to is an absolute disgrace and the dealer / ford should be ashamed 

It was on facebook in Eniskillen - was a proper 16 V BBs kit as it had the the corner hole vents on the front splitter spoiler. The only crime was someone had cut cut a hole on the rear bumper spoiler for what must of been a towing arm ! 

I've got the 2.2 euro 5 in my Tourneo Custom, currently on 203k. It's all about servicing from the COG forum. Mine has certainly benefitted from being an ex taxi and being serviced every 10k. Like a sewing machine. If left to ford recommend intervals (16.5k iirc) they won't last at all! The euro 5 has its issues as with any DPF diesel with injector recall close behind, but the euro 6 is no different from any other wet belt engine (think VW also use this now?). Prone to delamination and blocking the oil pump pickup, or just plain snapping. There is a recall and inspection on these too, but with multiple manufacturers sharing multiple platforms and engines (VW & Ford collaboration on the Caddy/Connect & T7/Transit) you'll see much more of this type of thing in the future too.

12 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

I've got the 2.2 euro 5 in my Tourneo Custom, currently on 203k. It's all about servicing from the COG forum. Mine has certainly benefitted from being an ex taxi and being serviced every 10k. Like a sewing machine. If left to ford recommend intervals (16.5k iirc) they won't last at all! The euro 5 has its issues as with any DPF diesel with injector recall close behind, but the euro 6 is no different from any other wet belt engine (think VW also use this now?). Prone to delamination and blocking the oil pump pickup, or just plain snapping. There is a recall and inspection on these too, but with multiple manufacturers sharing multiple platforms and engines (VW & Ford collaboration on the Caddy/Connect & T7/Transit) you'll see much more of this type of thing in the future too.

Im hoping this block lasts now as I will be the first owner of the engine but on the look out for another wagon to join that will replace my old Mk6 I let go of- I will not be risking the Mk8 euro 6 - I hope the Iveco is not a wet belt engine. My Mk7 did have a full service history from the file unless it has been clocked before each mot as first owner was a three year lease then I was the second owner ( im thinking could well be the case) . Does have 7  stamps in the service book - may be the engine is not up to the task of pulling scaffolding - the mk6 2.4 was slow but damn reliable and the shell would go before the engine. 

Edited by Keyo

It’s not all plain sailing with Mercedes either. I’ve driven merc vans since 1999. The 119 Vito I have now is nearly six year old and has been ace. 
However the van this one replaced the 118, older shape was not so good, the engine destroyed itself shortly after a service and 2 months out of warranty 38 months old. They wanted 8k for a new engine fitting, I never really liked that van so traded it in for this one, very expensive miss hap. I don’t use the Sheffield dealer anymore if I can help it. 

12 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

It’s not all plain sailing with Mercedes either. I’ve driven merc vans since 1999. The 119 Vito I have now is nearly six year old and has been ace. 
However the van this one replaced the 118, older shape was not so good, the engine destroyed itself shortly after a service and 2 months out of warranty 38 months old. They wanted 8k for a new engine fitting, I never really liked that van so traded it in for this one, very expensive miss hap. I don’t use the Sheffield dealer anymore if I can help it. 

My hire flatbed was a 2019 Merc . 

My observations four fault codes were coming up on the screen 

The cab roof is unnecessarily high as you can not get it under single story passages into court yards like a transit. 

Far too much fragile tech in the cabin for trades - I mean I just want the basics these things just get damaged- I dont want a touch screen a stereo will last 20 years a touch screen (5 - 10 years ? )

My biggest pet hate- indicators on wing mirrors- money catch can. 

Also price- the Merc flat bed drop side is base price 40 k plus vat - the Iveco 27 k plus vat which is every bit as good as a van and has a better payload and the double axle . I m popping in there for a chat today and do some research. 

The real industrial Merc van is the Mitsubishi as its built by Daimler but the payload is not great as designed for 5 ton capacity allowed on a car licence in other countries (I wish we had this band in the UK makes so much sense without obtaining an operators licence

Edited by Keyo

This is my next one. 

Has an option 8 gear zf auto - tempting. They have some seroius power plants up to 180 bhp- 400 torque plus. 

Under seat storage impressed with that. 

Under a truck network with 24 hour service / maintenance. 

Edited by Keyo