ABV-VR6

Catalytic converter shield

Yeah I know techtonics. A few over here have imported them. Great systems from what I've heard. 👍

28 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

Yeah I know techtonics. A few over here have imported them. Great systems from what I've heard. 👍

Oh nice some have them in the UK as well! I had to import it as well since I live in Canada. They're definitely good mate! 

So I took it into Longlife for the guy to have a look and his assessment is the Cat is fine. The smell was attributed to oil burning off, and the system was covered in it. I assumed before I did the engine build that the smell was oil burning from the various leaks everywhere, so I think it is still all over the exhaust from that. Plus I do still have a small leak from somewhere around the sump.

He reckoned you'd really know if the cat was broken as it'd be running horribly, plus it has just flown through the MOT on emissions. So on the one hand good to know, I can keep the OE cat and it's one less expense. However, I am still not sure why I am getting so much heat coming through into the cabin. The heat shield is all intact under there and I am pretty sure the trim around the gear level shouldn't be getting hot from it. I certainly don't remember it happening when I first had the car, I only started noticing it when the engine was really worn and tired before the rebuild. It's noticeable as well, like holing a freshly brewed mug of tea. Anyone else get this?