seanl82

Corrado sales

Seems like a lot of people are punching out. There have been some really strong cars for sale recently with a few more just coming to market.

I know prices are sky high for newer used car and there's got to be a point where they crash, but what are people's thoughts on classics/modern classics like the Corrado.... Is this the same as newer used cars, or do you think prices will remain high?

I would have thought that the market for classics has gotten smaller with cost of living & fuel sky rocketing. Add in ULEZ being implemented into wider areas around major Cities and the push for electric vehicles, then surely prices of classics will go the same way?

In addition to my reasons for selling, I'm thinking I probably got out at the right time....

Edited by seanl82

There have been price crashes in classics in the past, but these are not £100K+ resto Jags. Prices are high for the useable cars bought by enthusiasts, whether the investor sector is going to pay £40K+ is a different matter. 

I've always thought G60s were under valued and if I was looking for a long term project that's what I'd look for, at a local all marques "coffee n cars" meet even non VAG owners would be intrigued by the charger?

Really interesting question that has been on my mind lately. Just some thoughts…..

I’m not sure that fuel prices is going to be much of a problem for classic / exotic cars as they are generally bought by people who are passionate about them, or have spare money floating about, plus they generally are not daily drivers and therefore do a relatively low mileage or are SORN.

ULEZ may be more of a problem, but I think I’d try and avoid a built up area, as I’d rather drive an A or B road, and would worry about getting the car hit the more traffic that’s around. Living in the Scottish Highlands I’m no expert on ULEZ though.

I think the main driver is that a lot of people spent 2 years working from home on full or near full pay and had nothing else to spend their money on so that pushed up the price of everything. I imagine the fear that you might die from an invisible virus also spurned people on buying bucket list items when they had time to enjoy them…..hence the advertising line on that travel ad with Ewan MacGregor.

The microchip shortage on new cars was a perfect storm driven by the Ever Given getting stuck in the Suez, followed by COVID, a few Chip factory fires all coming at the same time as the average number of micro chips in almost everything has increased massively.

It’s hard to know what the future will bring, whether we will be able to run classics / exotics on synthetic fuels for decades to come, or more classics get EV swapped and can drive anywhere for ever. I think it’s unlikely that the cars will die while there are still people alive that listed after them when they were kids.

I imagine there are plenty of us that have spent a lot of time during the pandemic working on our cars and therefore there will be a small number in very good condition. Of these, some of us will keep them because we have space and can afford to.  Some will sell them because we don’t have space or can’t afford to, and some will be thinking this is my last chance to get something even more special while I still can 🤔

Its not a miracle that prices go  up - if owners spend a lot of money renovating the cars they are going to want as much return possible and not give them away. 

The real winners are the London low miler storms with a mop over with a rotty botty to auction- I mean auction is the best place to sell a car that looks good on photos as you dont get near or meet the new owner and most are sold unseen by buyer- these are the true financial winners that picked them up for 5k - spent 1k and sold for 20k plus. 

I agree with Dox a low mileage G60 - you could make a penny or two out of them - plenty of VR6 about still which you will see at meets- rarely a G60 . 

My black one is on 160k (40k total reno+ purchase inc rare parts which makes up 10 k of it ) and g60 185k( 15 k reno inc purchase) - on that basis alone I would never sell them at auction as most auction buyers have not got a scooby what makes a good car and look at mileage of a measure of condition. I mean I would struggle to get 40k for both of them - no way would I be selling that black one unless it beat one of them low mile nail storms in valuation as its a 1 off  and every part changed with a stealth 5 k rebuild top and bottom. so its staying with me to enjoy as I really think the market would not understand the build and the rare parts on the car could over shadow the renovation get over looked . 

Everything I have learnt . A low miler 997 or 996 turbo mezger- weekend car, 2 k miles annual- sure fire winner will double in value and be free motoring - also all the parts are easy to get hold of- you would come out at a minimum braking even over 10 years- longer you keep it the more you will make . There is even an ex rado owner on here I saw he purchased a 993 gt track car for peanuts years ago like 15k - them cars are worh 250 k now I wonder if he kept it lol be in the Maldives right now. 

Edited by Keyo

To gauge the future of classic cars is like looking into a crystal ball to be honest

i wish i knew what the future will bring 

as for the corrado if i was looking at a car that needed a lot of body parts and trim i think i would pass on it just for the fact that new parts are becoming unobtainable and second hand parts prices are a joke for a lot of parts that are fit only for the bin.

I have one weakness in that i buy cars (saveable) to stop them from going to breakers

Today i just enjoy driving / maintaining and repairing my cars - i dont do it to make money and as for the future who knows!!

1 hour ago, ger040 said:

To gauge the future of classic cars is like looking into a crystal ball to be honest

i wish i knew what the future will bring 

as for the corrado if i was looking at a car that needed a lot of body parts and trim i think i would pass on it just for the fact that new parts are becoming unobtainable and second hand parts prices are a joke for a lot of parts that are fit only for the bin.

I have one weakness in that i buy cars (saveable) to stop them from going to breakers

Today i just enjoy driving / maintaining and repairing my cars - i dont do it to make money and as for the future who knows!!

Me too if I did it for the money I would have to fire myself for gross misconduct in the budget department. Still its nice if owners can recuperate a fair chunk of what they spent if they want to move on to another marque so have some capital.. Thing is once you got them real nice and reliable if you sold you would really have to wait for a car off one of the members or be prepared to throw money at a project- I would I have a rule now if its a project would have less then 100k miles to help out on costs v value re sale. . 

Edited by Keyo

Indeed. I think I about broke even with with purchase price and what I've spent over the years though so it's a win really. Bear in mind if I'd have taken up playing golf, 10 years down the line I'm pretty sure I'd be heavily out of pocket!

Edited by seanl82

35 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

Indeed. I think I about broke even with with purchase price and what I've spent over the years though so it's a win really. Bear in mind if I'd have taken up playing golf, 10 years down the line I'm pretty sure I'd be heavily out of pocket!

Done really well there mate hats off to you - have you thought about any other cars  or just going to leave it this year. 

59 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Done really well there mate hats off to you - have you thought about any other cars  or just going to leave it this year. 

Thanks mate. Probably leaving it this year. Have a really busy next 6 months with a new job, work on the house, my son's karting, and big holiday etc.. so don't have the time to start another car for now.

Does anyone know if the restored Campaign from the south coast (Bonhams MPH) ever sold ?

Looking to throw the keys in this year (or next) on both, but prices are scatty at best.

11 minutes ago, James. said:

Does anyone know if the restored Campaign from the south coast (Bonhams MPH) ever sold ?

Looking to throw the keys in this year (or next) on both, but prices are scatty at best.

Good question - James Poore I think his name was - he was on Fb I would drop him a pm and ask straight up- I mean you own one so cant see why you would not share info.  I dont think it sold at Bonhams auction - sp may well of been a private sale - be interesting to know where the car ended up if you can find out- may well of gone overseas. 

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10157781843275310&set=gm.1483562921823892

Edited by Keyo

I think he pulled it from auction as it was just as the pandemic hit. Auction house agreed to end it due to the circumstances. I've not seen any hint of it since, so either sold privately or waiting on a good point in time to put it back up. £35k was the estimate iirc.

Would be an outrage to have a Campaign leaving UK shores as they were a special edition for that market only! Really belongs in a museum or auto exhibition.

Ok looks to of been sold in Jan 2021 as new V5 issued- so if sorn I imagine still in uk ?? 

2 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Ok looks to of been sold in Jan 2021 as new V5 issued- so if sorn I imagine still in uk ?? 

V5 issued after MOT expired, I'd say the owner changed address, who'd buy / sell with no mot?

1 minute ago, Dox said:

V5 issued after MOT expired, I'd say the owner changed address, who'd buy / sell with no mot?

Good point unless it was towed straight into some rich farmers barn who just likes to walk round his car indoors and not drive them as his an asshole and had far too many eu grants over the years lol . 

Just now, Keyo said:

Good point unless it was towed straight into some rich farmers barn who just likes to walk round his car indoors and not drive them as his an asshole and had far too many eu grants over the years lol . 

Seller would want to maximise his sale, buyer would want some surety of condition for that kind of money - farmers are incredably tight with their money?

I'd be shockedif it sold without an MOT

26 minutes ago, Dox said:

Seller would want to maximise his sale, buyer would want some surety of condition for that kind of money - farmers are incredably tight with their money?

I'd be shockedif it sold without an MOT

Does sound like its still with owner- just odd as the owner has not posted for 2 or 3 years- maybe the car has had a catastrophic failure Dox after rebuild or something odd like that and waiting to be repaired. 

Edited by Keyo

1 hour ago, Keyo said:

some rich farmers barn who just likes to walk round his car indoors

Reference to Harrys garage ?

Anyway, who knows. I’ll send James a message and see if he replies.

I know one went to Ireland.

I still find it crazy that in the 14 years I’ve owned mine, none of the others have shown up.

VW classic contacted me a few years ago to have the car on display at Techno Classica. Would love to take them up on it. Maybe one day.

The one that went to Ireland disappeared into a black hole it seems - probably some private collection or something.

I would know most of the cars over here, or at least have heard of them.

I can’t decide whether to sell mine, or just moth ball it in the garage. I’ve just bought something else as a spare mile muncher due to my dad passing away and needing to make regular visits to my mum. The Corrado was ok for me, but the mrs wasn’t a fan of it for a six hour round trip in a day.

It owes me nothing, had it 11 years, paid £1500 when I got it, and spent very little on it over the years. Service parts in the main (tyres, brakes, odd ball joint, brake lines, etc), plus odds and sods as upgrades.

I still love driving it, so in the short term, I’ll pop the engine out and do the chain and tensioners while I don’t need it as a second set of wheels. Longer term, I’m still out on what to do with it. If it is garaged and covered, is it likely to develop big issues in the end? Like I say, it’s cost me very little to own and run over the 11 years, which is pretty good really. Only current issues with it is the sunroof (standard… lol) and literally the last time I used it the passenger window stopped working. What would you all do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

36 minutes ago, Tigerfish said:

I can’t decide whether to sell mine, or just moth ball it in the garage. I’ve just bought something else as a spare mile muncher due to my dad passing away and needing to make regular visits to my mum. The Corrado was ok for me, but the mrs wasn’t a fan of it for a six hour round trip in a day.

It owes me nothing, had it 11 years, paid £1500 when I got it, and spent very little on it over the years. Service parts in the main (tyres, brakes, odd ball joint, brake lines, etc), plus odds and sods as upgrades.

I still love driving it, so in the short term, I’ll pop the engine out and do the chain and tensioners while I don’t need it as a second set of wheels. Longer term, I’m still out on what to do with it. If it is garaged and covered, is it likely to develop big issues in the end? Like I say, it’s cost me very little to own and run over the 11 years, which is pretty good really. Only current issues with it is the sunroof (standard… lol) and literally the last time I used it the passenger window stopped working. What would you all do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, a Corrado (or any car for that matter) doesn't need to be perfect or have a lot of money sunk into it to be enjoyed and put a smile on your  face - one of my all time favourites was a 1987 Audi Coupe Quattro that could at best have been described as in middling condtion, but I loved it every time I drove it, even if it was missing half the dash and the door cards most of the time. My current VR6 has given over 10 years of great ownership, now needs some work and tidying up, but I always look forward to getting behind the wheel and it never dissapoints.

I would say that in my opinion the Corrado is not a wise investment vehicle, rather a driver's car - that territory belongs to things like the classic air-cooked 911 and the like.

The biggest catch with a Corrado is you need to build your own spares supply which can be costly - can be cheaper if you brake a couple of old dogs . You buy new parts that are not needed so you don’t end up without .