Chris Ellis

CJE's Corrado G60 Project

As per my first post with the lumpy idle I bought the car back in early April. I looked at it on the classifieds for a few weeks and decided to take the plunge.

It is the dream car of my youth which I never ended up buying for some strange reason.

Purchased with my eyes wide open with the lumpy idle and I know it needs some bodywork doing (best mate will do the bodywork for me) - needs passenger door (any contacts or leads would be welcomed) as it is starting to rust at the bottom, the NSR side sill needs repairing and has a bit of rust on the rear panel inside - I think relating to water ingress from the badge? and alloys need refurbishing.

After doing my research the good bits I picked up on are the car is totally bog standard (exception of a Magnex exhaust fitted by AMD a few years ago) with a clean interior (side bolster is sagging but will get it re-done) and sunroof works well, ABS seems fine and spoiler works at speed but the override button isn't working - on my list of jobs to look at. 

It's had 2 owners (110K miles) and the guy I bought it from has had it 25 years and has all the annual service records starting at main dealer and then onto AMD and local German auto care company. I've also got original invoice for the car. 

Plan is to start the refresh process over the next 18 months or so to get it back to its former glory and enjoy it.IMG_3094.jpeg

That is a nice looking project for you, congratulations on the find and purchase. Plenty being broken unfortunately and last time I looked  VW heritage had a new passenger door in if yours is really bad.

Good luck with it all and feel free to post up any issues we may be able to help you with

Thanks Cressa. It does need work to be fair and that was the point of getting it and too good to break. I am on the look out for the door but can't see one at VW heritage at the moment. I'll keep looking.

I've found the forum really informative already and as I get deeper into things I am sure I'll need to reach out for some advice/sympathy 😀

Nice G60 you have a late body like mine- late lights- fogs , bonnet , wings - early interior. 

13 hours ago, Keyo said:

Nice G60 you have a late body like mine- late lights- fogs , bonnet , wings - early interior. 

It is. Although I picked that up reading your car update.

1 hour ago, ger040 said:

That looks a good car chris - congrats on the purchase and love a G60

Thanks. They are a great car and so glad I took the plunge after 30 years of loving them

48 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

A 30 year old car is always going to have issues mate. Well done for cracking on. 

True. I think you forget sometimes about the age. I've had company cars for 15+ years and you tend to compare them to new/nearly new cars.

14 hours ago, Chris Ellis said:

Thanks Cressa. It does need work to be fair and that was the point of getting it and too good to break. I am on the look out for the door but can't see one at VW heritage at the moment. I'll keep looking.

I've found the forum really informative already and as I get deeper into things I am sure I'll need to reach out for some advice/sympathy 😀

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153322785919?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=TAwZXT_PR_e&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=SuQ1hX6ZSQa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Not cheap new, but......

Quick update as the car is now with Jabbasport.

Lumpy idle turned out to be the leads which is an easy fix.

Supercharger all good for Stage 4 refresh but I have a bigger problem with it needing a new crankshaft 😣I did spot the pulley wobble after I bought it and it looks like it wasn't repaired correctly after the crank pulley failed 15 years ago. Brian is on with it but it will be with them a bit longer than I planned originally.

Edited by Chris Ellis

That's a bit of blow but good the car is in somewhere it can be fixed properly once and for all. 

Sounds like it’s at the right place. Hope all goes well for you. I’m looking forward to see how this pans out. 👍

Quick update.

Engine work is underway at Jabbasport with Brian and I should have it back at the end of the month. Looking forward to getting it back.

Brian sourced a second hand crankshaft and putting a new clutch in so with all new gaskets it will be in good shape ready to enjoy before I take it off the road over winter to do the brakes and suspension.

Car is up and running. Spoke to Brian yesterday and it does need more work doing to get it through the MOT - caliper ceasing, tie rod split and a couple of other bits. As I want to get my hands dirty on this project I'm going to start the work on it over the winter (starting to order parts with some of the current lead times) and get it back on the road in Spring time.

Keyo - Thanks for the Jabbasport recommendation. Brian has done a great job on it.

Chris.