GrahamU

vibration when turning right

Driving home today I started to feel a vibration when going round roundabouts.

Its like the the wheel is wobbling and shakes the whole front of the car but only when turning right, left is fine.

I've not looked at it yet other than checking wheel nuts, hub nut and trying to wobble the wheel but not found anything yet so was curious to know if anyone else have had similar?

TIA

Could be left hand wheel bearing (poss rear) or have you lost any weights on the wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/12/2022 at 10:33 PM, Wilko13 said:

Could be left hand wheel bearing (poss rear) or have you lost any weights on the wheels

Bearings are fine, front and rear, lifted the wheels today and tried to wobble them but there was no movement.

A wheel weight would also show in a straight line and when going to the left, its only when turning right at a speed above 10-15 mph

Do you get any vibration if you turn the steering wheel to the right when stationary? That would rule out power steering issues I'd have thought, if you didn't. 

1 hour ago, oneohtwo said:

Do you get any vibration if you turn the steering wheel to the right when stationary? That would rule out power steering issues I'd have thought, if you didn't. 

no, nothing when stationary or driving slowly, or at least its not detectable at low speed, its the whole front that shakes.

It’s not a diff or driveshaft issue is it, I know you’ve done a lot to the car, have you mixed and matched parts and something’s getting loaded on lock?

I’ve seen skippy diffs load up a lot on lock in the past too.

3 minutes ago, tonedef said:

It’s not a diff or driveshaft issue is it, I know you’ve done a lot to the car, have you mixed and matched parts and something’s getting loaded on lock?

I’ve seen skippy diffs load up a lot on lock in the past too.

Hmm, not sure how I can check that but it did cross my mind that it could be something like that, only thing is, it has driven fine until I came home from the show Sunday, its like something has worn or come lose, I just hope its not the gearbox

Had a look at this today, could not find anything that would obviously be causing a problem, checked all bolts on the front end, made sure the wheels turned freely when on lock, or as freely as they can on s DSG, 

The only thing I found that was not right was the camber on the right front was at 4°, the left was still at 1° so I set the right back to 1° 

I havent driven it yet, dont like that wet stuff thats been falling from the sky 🤣 so hoping for better weather tomorrow

well that does seem to have cured it 🙂 drove it another 50 miles today without any problems

Edited by GrahamU

On 6/18/2022 at 6:10 PM, GrahamU said:

Had a look at this today, could not find anything that would obviously be causing a problem, checked all bolts on the front end, made sure the wheels turned freely when on lock, or as freely as they can on s DSG, 

The only thing I found that was not right was the camber on the right front was at 4°, the left was still at 1° so I set the right back to 1° 

I havent driven it yet, dont like that wet stuff thats been falling from the sky 🤣 so hoping for better weather tomorrow

Good result, but aren’t you better off with -1 degree for a lowered car?

On 6/20/2022 at 10:33 PM, 1xshaunx1 said:

Good result, but aren’t you better off with -1 degree for a lowered car?

Yep, you are right, it was -1°, i missed the minus 🙂

3 hours ago, Crasher said:

The front camber on a Corrado should be -40′ except the VR6 which is -1° 20′

-1° is somewhere in the middle and probably within tolerance at most garages 🤷‍♂️ I'll find out for sure when I take it to be tracked