Dox

Diavia aircon set up (spares or repair)

Not sure what it’s worth, so I’ll say £300 (forum rules).

Still gassed as far as I’m aware, will need some spares sourcing but complete for reference (the switch’s fell to pieces).

Previous owner said it was gassed in his ownership and worked, I bought the car with a blown engine so I can’t confirm

Prefer if buyer removes and makes notes as they go (as you can see the dash is out, engine is out so won’t take long).

Nr Crewe Cheshire. 10 Mins j16 m675947c55c61fb6e727a84e14c71fdd1e.jpg

c52b50be2d88e416d78a7510aed5f3cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a PM from a long time member seeking advice for a MK4 based set up started many moons ago.

"Hey mate, it's been a long time since I've been active on the forum, probably about 5 years now! Anyway, I'm looking to get my VR back on the road and one thing I'd started was fitting the AC unit from a MK4 Golf. I understand it is a completely different set up, but do you know how the wiring is set up for the Diavia? I appreciate you bought the car with it already fitted so granted you might not know, but anything knowledge might help. I think the guys I was "working" with on here to set it up are no longer about."

I am interested in this as I've been keen on getting air con for a while, but unfortunately I am nowhere near Crewe. Which isn't much help, so not sure if this is a goer!

My slight concern with air con is dumping extra heat into the engine bay. It already feels excessively hot under there (not the engine temps which are fine, it's the excess heat in the bay) and the aircon is going to be in use on hot days, so it's a triple effect of hot air temp hot bay and heat dumped from the cabin. Have you ever noticed any adverse effects?

7 hours ago, oneohtwo said:

I am interested in this as I've been keen on getting air con for a while, but unfortunately I am nowhere near Crewe. Which isn't much help, so not sure if this is a goer!

My slight concern with air con is dumping extra heat into the engine bay. It already feels excessively hot under there (not the engine temps which are fine, it's the excess heat in the bay) and the aircon is going to be in use on hot days, so it's a triple effect of hot air temp hot bay and heat dumped from the cabin. Have you ever noticed any adverse effects?

As above, I never drove the car. The engine badly overheated, the belt tensioner jockey wheel melted and I found the alternator seized solid so the coolant pump was stalled too, the previous owner was on the motorway and drove his family to the safety of a motorway services.

Head gasket blown, I allowed it to sit too long rusting the block, there was 6L of water inside the block with oil floating on top.

The diavia set up is bodge on top of bodge TBH, mastic fantastic, but having used a Corrado with black leather that's sat in the sun on the works car park for 12 hours I know what an unpleasant place it can be. I'm going to cut the bulkhead out today to free it and clear a space in the garage loft still charged (to some degree) for safe keeping

Ah sorry I assumed you had aircon on your own car. 

I'd sort of got the same impression that the Diavia system wasn't a brilliant install as well, and can see from where the new airbox meets the fan it's ... not very neat! Maybe I will try to source a Passat airbox as I have read that is a fairly direct fit, and maybe the OE LHD compressor, drier etc...I figure it's in the same place on the engine so should fit. Either way the distance is a bit prohibitive for this one so will leave it. 

23 minutes ago, oneohtwo said:

I'd sort of got the same impression that the Diavia system wasn't a brilliant install as well, and can see from where the new airbox meets the fan it's ... not very neat! Maybe I will try to source a Passat airbox as I have read that is a fairly direct fit, and maybe the OE LHD compressor, drier etc...I figure it's in the same place on the engine so should fit. Either way the distance is a bit prohibitive for this one so will leave it. 

It’s only really for reference, most of it will need reworking or renewing, but ideal for someone who wants minimum downtime for their car.

I think an enthusiast would make a better job of fitting it than the pros did…..

your in Somerset? I bought Theo’s old engine, it didn’t  put me off driving down 😂 

whilst it isn't the most efficient (you'll feel a slight kick when the compressor switches on and the slight drop of power), it does blow very cold indeed.  Mine needs a bit of a service, but in terms of cooling i found it really very good.

Edited by fla

On 7/14/2022 at 1:47 PM, oneohtwo said:

Well, the Diavia is a pain in the Ass. But if you get it all working from the beginning it does the job perfectly.  Well worth the money but you definitely need to remove it yourself to understand the wiring too. I have a full set of unused hoses if anyone needs them. Yes you will spend the same again replacing items if you want it mint but in this weather you appreciate it. And working it will add value to a car

Get it on FB Dox if there are no takers on here

GLWS

I remember speaking to Diavia some twenty years ago about buying the system and spares and they could barely remember it then!

17 minutes ago, Crasher said:

I remember speaking to Diavia some twenty years ago about buying the system and spares and they could barely remember it then!

They were a pain in the ass for me in the last 2yrs. Fortunately I could get generic parts and the pressure sensor was still available (but pricey) Thanks Webasto. 

Definitely a mish mash of put together parts and a luxury in a Corrado. Can't have been cheap to fit back in the day on a new car!! Should have been a standard Vw fitment properly to the RHD not just to some of the lucky lefties 

I feel the same about power steering in the Golf 1, that it never had PS available right upto the end of Citi production in South Africa is unfathomable. 

Edited by Crasher

I always preferred my mk2 non PAS car to my friends assisted car both being on 15s.

Do you still own Zerstorer and Blitz Steve?

Yes, Zesty (which was non PS when we bought it) is in the lockup at the farm and Blitz is 7 feet up in the air in the unit across the car park at work along with two other modified Golf 1 GTI’s and if I get any done before I am dead I will be surprised, not that you can be surprised once dead! I wanted to get my 1302 LS (Adolf) done first (six feet behind my head for the last 27 years) but Mrs Crasher insists that Blitz should be first and sold to help fund Adolf… I think I should trade in Mrs Crasher!

On 8/23/2022 at 8:11 PM, Crasher said:

Yes, Zesty (which was non PS when we bought it) is in the lockup at the farm and Blitz is 7 feet up in the air in the unit across the car park at work along with two other modified Golf 1 GTI’s and if I get any done before I am dead I will be surprised, not that you can be surprised once dead! I wanted to get my 1302 LS (Adolf) done first (six feet behind my head for the last 27 years) but Mrs Crasher insists that Blitz should be first and sold to help fund Adolf… I think I should trade in Mrs Crasher!

🤣🤣 totally agree, I would suggest the same  😇😂