flyingmatt555

Schrick VGi Inlet Manifold

Hi Guys

Does anyone know if there are any suppliers left for the Schrick VGi these days? Or anyone that has one they want to part with?  I understand they stopped making them years ago.... 

Any leads would be appreciated! 

No suppliers have them from new - second hand market only at this stage and would set you back at least 1-1.5k.

Original VWMS VSR, on which the Schrick was based is even rarer, with only about 600 made, although many tend to prefer the Shrick as it will give both torque and hp gains, whereas the VSR only improves torque, but is more OE - both work on the same principle by switching the airflow via a flap at a preset RPM. Keep in mind that with the Schrick you can#t get at your spark plugs without removing the manifold.

Good hunting!

• Thanks 1

Good luck with your search. I think you need to be trolling FB groups to find one for sale. Big money yes, but worth the smile it gives you 😁

The bit I can’t understand, numbers of cars are decreasing, the schrick is something that doesn’t wear out, where have they all gone?

I guess they can be used on Mk3s/Passat etc as well, as a lot of the Shricks were set up for OBD2 - they were always more numerous in the US than in Europe anyway. Let's hope they are not being scrapped accidentally!

12 hours ago, flyingmatt555 said:

Maybe the US is where to find them! 🤫

It’s just a case of being patient, you’ll be very lucky to find one complete for less than £1200, then you’ll need a remap to see full benefits.

what are you looking for, ultimate power, improved drivability or looks?

Ultimate would be 268 degrees cams, exhaust, filter, Schrick and map for 220 - 230bhp on a healthy engine

The above minus camshafts 210 - 220bhp

They do pop up now and again but few and far between - I see them on facebook mostly.

What's your goals with it? If you're after some better midrage and upper end performance on a 2.9 then 263 cams and a remap by, say, Stealth gives you good results without the risk of plastic VGI flaps crumbling and destroying your engine. I jest, that is unlikely to happen. 

I've not found a rolling road map of a 2.9 VGI manifold + 268s to compare mine too (263 cams) but suspect peak midrange torque would come in 1000rpm lower but peak power/torque would be thereabouts the same.

Heard the VGI makes very good gains on the 2.8 in the mk3 Golf though. Don't need to cut the bonnet on them either. 

20190729-134926.jpg

MJA, it's a metal flap inside it.

But the cost of buying one, then refurbing it with paint and gaskets and anything else missing makes them an expensive toy

God damn.... 🤣🤣

Hmm, I think i need a remap on mine. Ive got a schrick, 264 piper cams, BMC and OBD2. What kind of results could be achievable after a remap? Its been sorn'd for 2 years though so will first need a good run to get back to normal 

Look at sexy bourbon thread, he has 268s, schrick, induction, exhaust and stealth map with 3.6 diff too

17 hours ago, fla said:

Hmm, I think i need a remap on mine. Ive got a schrick, 264 piper cams, BMC and OBD2. What kind of results could be achievable after a remap? Its been sorn'd for 2 years though so will first need a good run to get back to normal 

when i had my head rebuild at stealth i dropped schrick 263's in there, BMC CDA & then vince mapped it - ended just shy of 210bhp 

this was with OE exhaust as i hadnt yet put the longlife SS on it

the way the new map performs in comparison to OE is superb

1 hour ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

when i had my head rebuild at stealth i dropped schrick 263's in there, BMC CDA & then vince mapped it - ended just shy of 210bhp 

this was with OE exhaust as i hadnt yet put the longlife SS on it

the way the new map performs in comparison to OE is superb

I'd say once Vince works his magic, even a standard engine without the 263s or VGI will see improvements from one of his remaps! Not so much gains, but a smoorhing out of the torque delivery and better response.

54 minutes ago, fla said:

How much is a remap at Stealth now?

not sure - it was £400 for the rolling road setup but this was a long time ago

On 7/26/2022 at 7:50 PM, Dox said:

It’s just a case of being patient, you’ll be very lucky to find one complete for less than £1200, then you’ll need a remap to see full benefits.

what are you looking for, ultimate power, improved drivability or looks?

Ultimate would be 268 degrees cams, exhaust, filter, Schrick and map for 220 - 230bhp on a healthy engine

The above minus camshafts 210 - 220bhp

Without sounding like I have deep pockets, the money bit isn't too much of an issue at that price. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car as it is, just fancy a bit more urgency through the mid range, but not to an extent I want to go too extreme like going the Turbo route-  the car is a Storm, so don't want to de value its originality. I just like the idea of period parts fitted which may add another 15-20hp as I've always thought 200-210 is about perfect for the Corrado. (I'll probably be kicked for saying that!).. I'm in touch with Vince as its booked in for October for some refreshing so I'll see what he has to say. 

I only have a Scgrick fitted to a very standard set up, for now. But it certainly wants to go earlier in the rev range and well worth it. Good luck with finding one, you just need to be quick. I shall keep a look out for you. 

Don't be put off by missing parts as the can be worked around. I have a digital shift controller that switches the flap over and is quite cool as you can set the rpm and see what it us at. All works fine

• Thanks 1

VSR on the left and shrick on the right - I sold a shrick last year and it fetched 1500 and sold behind closed doors - vsr can expect to pay over double then a schrick but rarely come up for sale . Schrick come up at least a few times a year - vsr probs looking at 1 every few years . Last shrick I saw sell was a breaker found one on a sharan vr6 . As mentioned above fb is your best bet - most important thing is to make sure the butterfly flap screws  are secure or they could drop off and chew your engine . 

F6D77485-4C5E-46D4-ABC6-8A089EDAAA38.png

F184B154-0CFB-46C3-A0A0-9A4B77869045.png

5ABA47C4-B8DE-43E4-9C5F-9684AAE74403.png

54064783-F818-40E2-B80E-D39380359151.png

Edited by Keyo
  • Like 1

Mate, that VSR is still super gorgeous. 

I think I paid 1300 for my Schrick 3 years ago which still needed a full refurb and parts on top of that cost.  They aren't cheap, but are quite an easy bolt on modification

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Mate, that VSR is still super gorgeous. 

I think I paid 1300 for my Schrick 3 years ago which still needed a full refurb and parts on top of that cost.  They aren't cheap, but are quite an easy bolt on modification

I love them,  puts the VR on its toes- what the engineers wanted for the cars. 

10 minutes ago, Keyo said:

I love them,  puts the VR on its toes- what the engineers wanted for the cars. 

100% totally agree 👍

On 7/26/2022 at 10:48 PM, MJA said:

They do pop up now and again but few and far between - I see them on facebook mostly.

What's your goals with it? If you're after some better midrage and upper end performance on a 2.9 then 263 cams and a remap by, say, Stealth gives you good results without the risk of plastic VGI flaps crumbling and destroying your engine. I jest, that is unlikely to happen. 

I've not found a rolling road map of a 2.9 VGI manifold + 268s to compare mine too (263 cams) but suspect peak midrange torque would come in 1000rpm lower but peak power/torque would be thereabouts the same.

Heard the VGI makes very good gains on the 2.8 in the mk3 Golf though. Don't need to cut the bonnet on them either. 

20190729-134926.jpg

Do you really need to cut the bonnet on the Corrado to install it ?