_Matt_

Twilight Violet VR6

There's a screen on the bottom of the pump, so at worse the broken plastic will just reside in the tank.

How many intact at installation have now cracked in service?

It would bug me paying full price for "seconds" though, maybe ask for some discount?

Cheers both. I'm happy to risk it and will ask autodoc to discount it (good idea Dox). 

Can always pull it out to inspect it every other year or something too.

I had the same issue with a VDO pump but sent it back for a full refund. I wished I'd kept it and swapped it into the existing and uncracked swirl pot. I did this with a new pump only I bought and that failed because of water in the old fuel in the tank, pillock! I ended up buying the 4 bar pump from Heritage which interestingly has a clip together swirl pot and no screws.

So if it were me I'd keep the VDO pump.

ahh decisions decisions now. I asked autodoc for a discount but they said no - have to send it back for them to "inspect" or full refund. Annoying paying good money for seconds (£240) but on balance VDO is hard to find and the pump should last so do you just take it on the chin and steal the pump out of the cracked housing.

I haven't taken it apart - assume I take the 3 screws out to separate and then pump is separated? 

I haven't looked at my pump yet - could well be a pierburg unit as the car is an early 94 with old style maf but later ignition coil. 

Cressa blimey - that link is £££££ - I'll have a look at the fuel pump thread, Lucas I'd be happy with.  

On 10/5/2023 at 2:18 PM, _Matt_ said:

With yours having a bottom end rebuild I'd reckon with a few miles under its belt it would loosen up and produce more. My bottom end is 91k "run in" 😄. My white corrado did 219.7hp and 211 ibft, again orignal bottom end but with 150k on it.

Interesting on the warm start, are you suffering as well? Given your parts list changed vs mine on the 2 I have had it does start to point towards the fuel pump. Although it could be ECU as well. Reluctant to buy one though as they are expensive for a vdo unit. 

Good point on the run in! 😄 Mine will have only had a couple of thousand.  Yup, same for the me on the warm start so interesting to see how you get on with the fuel pump. i haven't really looked at the fuel pump so can't help on the cracked palstic bit - but I can understand being reluctant to take apart a £200 part. Good luck though!

I've decided to send it back and will look at either a Bosch or Lucas pump, if I need it. I only bought it as there were 2 in stock, haven't had the injectors refurbed yet and looking to do one job at a time to see what, if anything solves it. Need to take injectors out and drop them off this week,.

Not yet, took ages for it to come in the post - turned up 2 days ago. Injectors are out of the car so going for that first, refit/try and then do the valve. If no good do the fuel pump. At least that system will be refreshed either way. Looking forward to seeing the injector test report too.

If it was me doing it again I probably wouldn't put the valve in to be honest. I had one put in on mine and regret it somewhat. 

It will be the last thing I try on mine. It seems a bit heath robinson... 

Dropping off injectors tomorrow, should have some results in a week. I hope they find at least one is leaking 😄

Yeah, after it was first put on I found it was leaking fuel all over the top of the tank. I had driven it a few times and kept thinking I could smell fuel. Only noticed it started dripping all over the road. Not good.

Tightened the clips up and it has been fine since, but now it's always at the back of my mind that it's another potential area for a leak. 

7 hours ago, oneohtwo said:

Yeah, after it was first put on I found it was leaking fuel all over the top of the tank. I had driven it a few times and kept thinking I could smell fuel. Only noticed it started dripping all over the road. Not good.

Tightened the clips up and it has been fine since, but now it's always at the back of my mind that it's another potential area for a leak. 

Ha, I may just check mine for something to do. Although the valve and the new pump did cure my embarrassing Hot start issue 

Injector report received, yet to pick them up and refit.

Looking at the report I don't think they were the problem and they did pass the leak test. Will report back once back in car and tested but at least they have been refreshed for not too much money (£130 all in).  

FPR next and will probably install when i do the injectors, which is a bit annoying as I wanted to do each step at a time though did the FPR separately on my last one and it did nothing (it was between the injectors and pump on the last one, both done at the same time sadly).

image.png.2bc1123d553e656cab68d565c5a09518.png

Fpr is just a preset spring loaded ball valve, you would be better testing the pressure it’s currently working to rather than fitting a Chineseum replacement?

True that, though I have my original vw one from my old car. Will leave it and do the pump next if no change. No fuel. Pressure testing equipment here 

Got the injectors back, this is how they come back to you for anyone thinking of doing the same. Rainy day tomorrow so hopefully will get some garage time to reinstall:

20231103_111507.thumb.jpg.65e9b0029436428004f9411e0062c571.jpg

Early days but issue is solved on the warm start, now fires up after 5 to 10 mins left after driving as it does from cold. 

All I have done is had the injectors refurbished. 

Fingers crossed this has sorted it then. Good to know as I might send mine off while they are out the car

Good news!

Although I was slightly hoping it was something I hadn't done on my car before! Maybe it's not a single issue and varies from car to car - perhaps I'll try swapping out the fuel pump as I had the injectors refurbed by Mr Injector on mine as well.

I think it is a mixture of factors too. I've done more testing and whilst it is good 5-10-20 mins after, so far more useable, but if i leave it for 30/40 mins I get the same problem. It always starts but interesting how the time frames have shifted. Perhaps points to time worn compenents. 

Thinking back to my white car, although fault seemingly solved it did have a few occassions where it would crank longer than expected though more than 9 our of 10 times it was fine. 

• Like 1

Ah that does sound more like mine as well - over 20 mins or so tends to be the issue. 

Yes I do still get the odd long crank when cold as well, but I use the car quite infrequently. Around once every two weeks at the moment, so that doesn't feel out of the ordinary. 

Just some updates, I've been working on the rear beam recently and also refurbished the front hubs. These are pics from the ones I did for a friend but I did mine with the same idea except I made sure the bolts for the disc guard were useable on mine, my friend was planning on running big brakes so didn't need the guards.

20240109_192813.jpg

20240109_193300.jpg

20240109_193519.jpg

20240109_194404.jpg

20240109_194555.jpg

20240109_194943.jpg

20240109_195307.jpg

Removed the rear beam and had it powdercoated. Fitting new parts and lines, went for Powerflex rear bushes on Vince's recommendation

Also Replaced the fuel filter and the rubber lines going to/from it. Perhaps this might help with the "longer crank than expected" on warm restarts, old filter was old. No pics of that bit yet. I kept hold the fuel pump from earlier on in this thread, will strip the pump out of the body and put it in my pump eventually if issue unresolved. 

I also cleaned the floor plan at the rear end. Nothing concourse, just aimed to the get the grime off and probably could have done a better job if I spent hours at it. Fitted stainless tank straps whilst I was at it.

Pics

20240331_213451.jpg

20240331_214434.jpg

20240409_132113.jpg

20240409_132141.jpg

20240409_132159.jpg

20240313_213356.jpg

20240327_185521.jpg

20240331_213445.jpg