mnmv12

Scammed through wanted advert.

They must be able to see the classifieds? Are they paid up members? Or is that part of the forum open for all to see?

I think anyone can view, but you need to be paid up to post in most sections. I don’t think there was any way to stop a new user from having access to PMs, hence this kind of scam, but it is generally easy to spot. There is no reason to conduct an initial for sale post in private and it is against the rules.

Classifieds a re a bit of a grey area, because someone may have a car or decent parts to sell but won’t want to pay for a subscription.

I think it’s a case of members keeping their wits about them and not paying via PayPal to friends and family to sellers or there is no way to get your money back. Some people just have no morals and see it as kind of game. I’d rather pay cash on collection no matter where it is, if the seller is relatively unknown. If I sell to someone it’s the same or you can get what happened to Keyo, with his roof rails and someone cutting them up claiming off of PayPal and sending his rails back damaged. It’s a bit of a mine field to navigate these days. 

It may help if a few rules where implemented (and obeyed 😃).  

Does PayPal actually cover private transactions of this type?  (using the normal payment method)

Probably the fairest and safest method for all. Sellers will just have to accept that people are putting their trust into them and have to offer some kind of security. 

As you said, taking the drive to collect in person is the smartest choice, but not always a viable or economical solution sadly.