Sign in to follow this  
Dubbabe80

Too much petrol???

This is my first corrado, so this may be completely normal, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone else's use £25 petrol for 153 miles? Also the MPG shows 22?

*mod edit - Bold doesn't work in titles.. - Henny*

Ok, given the number of variables here (your driving style, the weight you were carrying, the traffic, your average speed, the state of tune of the engine, the phases of the moon, the colour of the vicar's underwear when you were baptised and so on and so on..) it's difficult to say if that's right or wrong.

Give us a hint!!

1.8 16Vs should get around 30 to 35MPG on a long steady run and around 25 to 30 around town... this will drop lots if you're hammering it lots though... Sit at 85 to 90 on a motorway and you'll get around 25mpg... :|

(at least that's what my old valver used to give me...)

The woman can get upwards of 28 around town and thats out running the novas !

out on the Trunk roads it will give between 32-36,she dont let me use the mfa when shes driving :wink:

oh and thats not driving miss daisy either !

I seriously thought about a low miler G60 until I read Jims tearful mid teens mpg

hope this helps

chubbzy

Last couple of tanks I've been getting 350-400 miles out of a fill. That's mostly motorway driving at 80, and a little bit of around town driving. Quite happy with that. :D

The woman can get upwards of 28 around town and thats out running the novas !

out on the Trunk roads it will give between 32-36,she dont let me use the mfa when shes driving :wink:

oh and thats not driving miss daisy either !

I seriously thought about a low miler G60 until I read Jims tearful mid teens mpg

hope this helps

chubbzy

The G60 can actually be quite economical when doing a proper drive or when driven using the revs sparingly (seen 37MPG on mine a few times)

The G60 uses a bypass valve mechanically linked to the throttle valve to reroute uneeded boost back into the supercharger at low rpm. As the throttle opens, the valve closes off the return line to the G-lader and the engine gets full intercooled boost. When the throttle closes, the bypass opens - at idle the G60 gets all the boost blown back into it's intake. So when only dawdling along with your foot on the gas the car doesn't really suffer from the huge overhead of the charger and you can return (almost) regular 8v fuel economy less the slight overhead from driving the charger obviously.

I guess this wouldn't apply as much if you have various reroute kits and stuff installed?

G60 fuel economy is actually slightly improved by the reroute kit due to the engine and charger running with a cooler air intake... 8)

He did, didn't he? He said "G60" and "fuel economy" in the same sentence!!! ;)

(Speaks the VR6 owner.... :) )

He did, didn't he? He said "G60" and "fuel economy" in the same sentence!!! ;)

(Speaks the VR6 owner.... :) )

...........you can borrow my flame-proof suit if ya want :wink: :D :D :-P :-P :-P \

The G60 uses a bypass valve mechanically linked to the throttle valve to reroute uneeded boost back into the supercharger at low rpm. As the throttle opens, the valve closes off the return line to the G-lader and the engine gets full intercooled boost. When the throttle closes, the bypass opens - at idle the G60 gets all the boost blown back into it's intake. So when only dawdling along with your foot on the gas the car doesn't really suffer from the huge overhead of the charger and you can return (almost) regular 8v fuel economy less the slight overhead from driving the charger obviously.

Spot on Jim but you didn't write that did you... :lol: :wink:

This whole thread is rambling miles away from the entry point, and the person with the original question has yet to respond....

Spot on Jim but you didn't write that did you... :lol: :wink:

I er... found it on the net and modified it a little bit :)

Wanted to make an intelligent and relevant post for a change - I wondered how long before someone sniffed me out!!

Urban driving is the killer of fuel economy. OK, looking at your 153 miles per £25, I calculate that to be 24.4 mpg. To be honest, that isn't too terrible. On a constant speed motorway run, you'll find that increases to the mid 30s if you don't go too mad with the gas pedal.

Anything below 20mpg would signify a significant fuelling problem in my book, but mid 20s round town is reasonable.

Living in London I am always town driving and my trips are usualluy short, its not uncommon for me to get about 18-20 mpg :shock:

On the rare occasion that i do go on long trips if do keep on the good side of 70-80 mph I calculate about 27mpg, does it sound like i have a fueling problem? I never ever get even 200 miles from a full tank of optimax arond town!!!

I assume if my cars thirst was down to an actual leak, I may be experiencing even WORSE mpg figures than I am currently getting! I wouldnt mind getting this sorted as Optimax in my local stations is very expensive :lol:

Think everyone would agree we need to hear from the owner here, depends where he's filling up, what petrol he's using, what roads he's driving and at what speed. I seem to go through phases of seeing how fast the car will go, and handle, then the next day i'll be seeing how high i can get the mpg MFA to go, dont think i'll ever see the 40 mpg. But i find the mfa does slightly under read, so if its saying 32 i find its really bout 35. Going to admit now (in the hope that I'm not the only one :oops: ) that am actually keeping a record of fuel receipts and plotting a curve of MFA to actual MPG to see if their is a linear relationship. OK I feel ashamed but its proving a constant linear at the moment so all good so far! Time to get ma coat!

I calculate my MPGs the old fashioned way and my VR steadfastly returns 24 around towns/cities, 28 at a constant 85mph, 33 at 70 and 36 at 60. I've found the MFA is pretty accurate actually and only a couple of MPG off my calculations.

The G60....I would expect that engine to be reasonable economical around town but it all depends how heavy your right foot is, as per the VR. If I deliberately invoke induction noise in short bursts, it canes the fuel. Pottering about on part throttle sees a better fuel return.

As Andihaz says, there are too many variables to consider in order to give a definitive "Yes you should get x amount of mpg".

K

I drove 40 miles last night and returned a very healthy 35.4,

the car uses supermarket unleaded,with 3 in car,nothing in front of me,2am in the morning,

making use of gavins headlight upgrade :D

I did cringe when it dropped to 28.4 for a minute or so though !

that was sitting about 75-80 with very minimal gear changes,one long hill and a very light foot !

Been off work for a few days, so no replies, sorry!!

Firstly, can I just say andihaz I'M A WOMAN!!

Right, back to the subject. Thanks for all the replies on the subject. It seems that its about right to be honest, I reset it this morning and it was coming out at about 27 and thats a straight run so I don't think there's a prob here.

Cheers for your pointers!