Sign in to follow this  
GIXXERUK

oil ?? and more

Mine's been serviced at the steelers all it's life using Mobil 1 0/40 :shock: .

The guy i bought it off said it never seem's to use much oil and i've got to admit it doesnt seem to smoke..

The only downside is it does tap a little on start up when cold, only for a second though ,so i might try synta silver 10/40 instead :)

Mine's been serviced at the steelers all it's life using Mobil 1 0/40 :shock: .

The guy i bought it off said it never seem's to use much oil and i've got to admit it doesnt seem to smoke..

The only downside is it does tap a little on start up when cold, only for a second though ,so i might try synta silver 10/40 instead :)

I had a long chat to a bloke in Dubsport about oils last time I was there.

He basically said that even though my car had been run on the vw gold stuff from new, doesnt mean it's the right stuff to use now.

Given the age and the 100k mileage on the motor, he reccomended putting the 10-40 stuff in

The previous owner had started using 10-40 a few years ago, and my car had never leaked a drop until I changed from this to 5-40 fully synth oil in it. (thinking i was improving the quality) when it started to p!ss out.

Changed back to 10-40 and I've got a clean drive again.

Bottom line seems to be. Dont reduce the viscosity of your oil from what the cars previously been using.

In G60jet's message:

The bottom line then is that if you think your car is ever likely to see a cold morning in the -45°F (-43°C) range, you should be considering 0W40 oil. If not, 5W40 will do. Note that at -45°F, you'll probably have more to worry about than your engine oil - like your radiator fluid, brittle tyres, frozen locks, permafrost on the windscreen etc.etc.etc.......

The lowest air temperature ever recorded in the UK was -27C at 2 sites in the Highlands of Scotland (Braemar and Altnaharra in 1995).

Lower than -20C is unlikely in most winters in England and lowland Scotland, but the possibility cannot be ruled out completely. Glasgow Airport had -20C in December 1995, despite the 1990s being one of the warmest decades. -20C has been recorded in lowland England, too, within our lifetimes.

#

I was there at Altnaharra that morning -27°,it didnt feel cold until I couldnt get the brakes off the wagon and luckily it didnt go down to -45 as the gas freezes then

nothing a drop of methanol doesnt cure !

goes down a treat btw :wink:

For an older engine (mine is 83K) I use 15W50 Mobil 1 motorsport. It is a genuine fully synthetic. I used the 15W50 instead of the 15W40 because it is slightly thicker I assumed that the engine is worn a bit (when I got it, it had 2 litres of oil in). I did consult an engineer who works for VAG and worked on the 16v, the g60 and the VR. He recommended Mobil 1. I have to admit the engine has run smothers than it ever has before. No sign of smoke either. I have done 3K on the new oil and it has used maybe a quarter of a litre, probably less than that.

G

15/50W motorsport is an excellent oil. People mistake it sometimes for the water thin 0-40, Motorsport is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Trouble is, my VR's capacity is 6 litres.... so it's a damned expensive oil to use for VR owners, and it only comes in stupid little 4L containers!

Yeah I know I cringed at the price. My mine only takes 4 litres so...

Halfords are doing a special offer on 15w40 (5 litres) and it is a similar price to the 4 litres 15W50. Only thing is it is a little bit thinner.

It was the best 40 quid I spent on the car so far.

G

Really? I've never really noticed the difference between oils in the past.

I think Halfrauds are currently selling 4L tubs of 15/50W for £30. I swear it used to be £40? So I'll have to get 2 4L tubs and keep 2L for topping up...... Jees, £60 on oil :shock:

Cool 30 quid

Will have to go buy some more. I paid 40 for mine. My dad uses it in his lotus elan too (so will try and persuade him to pay for it ::D:D:D)

I'd go for quantum silver and the cheap filter form GSF (Mann IIRC).

I have acutally cut open a genuine VW & cheap GSF oil filter and they were identical inside, in fact the only difference was the text on the outside of it.

Should be able to do oil & filter for around £15 using good quality parts. Its cheaper this way which meens you can afford to change them more frequently.

I'm sure it's not possible to *see* the difference between a quality and a nasty oil filter. The porosity of the paper filter isn't comparable by eye...

Plus, GSF have a tendency to switch suppliers and grades of products, at least VAG stick with the same manufacturer and exact same spec (mostly!).

G ones have anit drain back. They are the best filters out there. even for other brands of car use VAG ones.

G

VAG ones tend to be Hengst. Stealth use MANN filters and they seem OK. Avoid motor factors UniPart type filters as they have been known to cause oil starvation on some engines.

I'm sure it's not possible to *see* the difference between a quality and a nasty oil filter. The porosity of the paper filter isn't comparable by eye...

I agree with what you are saying, but internaly they were identical in every detail. I'm sure if you examined the two I had you would agree, they are the same.

It's down to personal opinion, but I dont mind having Mann written on my filter instead of VW/Audi if it saves me some money.

My mums got a Renault Megane, the filter on that is about 1/3 of the size of Veedub ones!

I'd go for quantum silver and the cheap filter form GSF (Mann IIRC).

Strangely enough - that's exactly what I use 8)

Mann filters have been, and still are OE for many vehicle manufacturers - no problems with quality at all.

quick question... i currently have synta silver 10w40 and its too noisey for my liking....im thinking a thicker oil may help quieten things down......but

could a thicker oil lead to higher oil temps or am i talking absolute ballacks?

out of interest my dad looking in one of his many car parts / guide books (he works for a motor factors) and the oil listed for any vr6 engine is 15w40 or 15w50..

Mobil 1 15/50W is a better oil for the VR but it's £10 a litre...and you need 6!

Can your dad get it cheap?

Other brands of 15/50W include Silkolene, Redline, RockOil, Amsoil (the mutts) and a couple of others but they're expensive too.

Shell Helix do a X100 Super 20/50W...... that should shut your engine up, LOL!

I think Helix Plus is 15/40W, so a little thicker than 10/40W.

The reason we use Quantum is because the tappets seem to like it (some synthetics kill them off quickly) and it's a tenner + filter every 3 or 4K. £60 on Mobil 1 every 3K is plain daft and not justified on a 10 year old engine imo.

Thicker oil in theory = more piston drag and possibly more heat as a consequence but you'll hardly notice it. But don't forget 80% of all engine wear occurs during start up, so you don't really want treacle in the sump over winter.

Can your dad get it cheap?

dad can get Carlube oil (any good?? i know its not brand name stuff but hey..) 15w50 for £20 for 5 litres...you can get 1 litre bottle aswell but not sure about the price.

But don't forget 80% of all engine wear occurs during start up, so you don't really want treacle in the sump over winter.

how do you mean?? you mean i want thinner oil over winter and thicker in summer?

Nah, that's what multigrades are for but a 15 or 20/50W won't reach the vital areas in winter as quickly as a 5 or 10/40W. But to be honest, I don't think it's *that* critical in the VR as it's not an ultra-fine tolerance engine and it has a hefty oil pump.

I used to use 15/50W Mobil 1 in my Golf 16v Turbo all year round and it seemed fine on it.

Never heard of Carlube..... I'd prefer to stick to known brands.... even though only a handful of oil refiners make all the oils anyway :wink:

listen up all!!! Two words for all concidering using any oil in there dubs are as follows,,,

SYNTA SILVER!!!!

its formulated for them so just use that and you will be safe, its excellent oil!

:D no point spending lots of money on these revolutionary oils, you`ll prob just damage your engine, :shock: , stick with what you know, go get some synta silver,,, :D 8)

jedi-knight83, If your engine is too noisy/rattly running on Synta Silver - you have some other engine issues/wear which will need looking at.

Cure the cause & not the symptoms :shock:

anyone know what oil ford recommend using in the vr6 galaxys??

Not sure but Mercedes reccommend 10w40 semi synth in their V280 (VW VR6 engine)

Jedi doesn't have any weird noises in his engine..... I think he's paranoid!

It sounds better than mine and it's had new chains and a new head!