Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

Best breakdown service?

As I don't currently have breakdown cover, it's only going to be a matter of time before I need it. Can anyone recommend a service that gets you and your car home again? I'm not too bothered if it's not the cheapest as long as they're reliable!

AA relay... never had a problem with them and used 'em more times than I care to think about... :oops: :lol:

Been thinking about breakdown cover too. I've never needed it in 14 years of driving but I dunno, there's always that "What if?" factor with Corrados and too many bits on them just go without warning.

Top cover at AA is £155 continuous (debited once a year)

Top cover at RAC is £149

But who's the best? Everybody I've spoken to so far favours the RAC..... plus they have a "no call out" discount scheme, which the AA doesn't appear to offer.

Are the extras worth the expense? Just thinking if something bad happens on a G60 or VR and you're miles from home, they would come in handy.....

Any other experiences?

Used the AA a couple of times and they were great. Thumbs up :D

One of the AA guys even put up with being run over by a snotty local. He then set about puncturing her tyre with his screwdriver! Hilarious! :lol:

Cool, that's 2 for the AA so far then..... I'm thinking of just ticking the "Max cover" box and being done with it! Only comes out of the bank once a year, so quite cheap peace of mind really.

Well TBH, as long as they get me home again I'm happy. I must say I do like the idea of the no-call out discount from the RAC though.

I'll see what other people have to say before making a decision...

AA member here too - after realising I was now driving a 12 year old car I figured it was time to get some cover.

Not had to call on them yet though (yes, tempting fate I know!) :)

yup, got the max cover thing on DD too Kev, I forget I've got it until either:

a) the car decides to throw another hissy-fit...

b) the car freezes over and I realise I should have bought an ice scraper instead of using my AA card :lol: :twisted:

I wonder when the Uk will realise the in "europe" you must have break down cover and it has to provided with your insureance company

i got mine through my insurance company,broke down once after an earth lead snapped and i couldnt reset the alarm so they sent out the nearest breakdown equipped garage..well happy :)

I still need to sort some cover out, so I'll keep an eye on what people say here, I was gonna go with Green Flag, as I have never liked the AA (don't ask why, I don't know).

This is the sort fo thing a group buy could be sorted out with.

I can get a discount for advanced drivers with the AA

cheapest for me I think is £35

but if somone had time I wonder if the forum could sort out a blanket cover for us all ?

must be worth a punt,what are they gonna do ? put the phone down,I dont think so.

RAC for me, I just go for the basic recovery as I can fix most small things.......just need the recovery if something big goes. Like clutches and engines. Have called them out around once a year and they have always been fast to turn up. Whenever I have called its been a big thing and needed to be transported home, so I have told them I need a transporter and they arrive with a transporter.

When I was with the AA I had a head gasket go, told them but they sent a little yellow van, towed me of the motorway in that and then had to wait two hours for a big yellow van to take me the rest of the way home.

Also good service over the phone with the RAC, they give you a call when they are 5 mins away so you can pop off for a cuppa down the local cafe!

Green Flag FULL European Cover with Barclays Additions+ account.

+free pet insurance

+free 90 day annual holiday insurance

+free credit card insurance

+ LOADS more (incl. automatic O/Draft etc...)

Cost of Additions+ Account = £12.50 / month. (that's £150 / year)

Bargain in my opinion.

RAC for me.

Personal membership so it covers my motorbike plus anyone elses car I'm in too. Save having motorbike breakdown and car breakdown cover.

Otherwise try Britannia or Green Flag.

Never keen on the AA relay service. Been told many stories of how it took them several 'relays' before it got the car home

Had to call AA out twice in a year for my C.

Lost ALL oil thru the pressure switch first time then top hose blew second time. Excellent service on both occasions :D

I have RAC cover - not the top cover but not the basic version either. Paid around £60 for personal cover in any car including transport to anywhere in the UK provided I'm at least a quarter of a mile from my home and also got joint cover included in that which is personal cover for another member of your family. Called them out once when my aux water pump went and the guy seemed to know his stuff and arrived quicker than expected.

AA for me just joined about a month ago,only ever broke down once about 10yr ago and lucky for me i was a member that year too,got a very good initial response from them the guy was there in ten mins then i had to wait 6 hours for a relay truck to take me home :roll:

RAC for me, although I'll be moving to the one offered by Chriss Knott as soon as it expires, as they offer full European cover as well for £50! Yes please. I've never trusted the AA since they failed to set up my account 4 times, and then after I'd had enough and told them to forget it and remove me from their lists, they tranfered the payment of my Mother's AA policy to my bank account and started illegally debiting money from my account. :shock:

Best of luck,

Cheers,

Tom

i`m with both-one i took out and a family one my dad did

i`ve used both and have been satisfied with them both