Sign in to follow this  
Timo.

Top Mount kit from gsf ??

What actually comes in this kit?

Gonna upgrade the suspension on my vr6 before I get it taxed and back on the road. Does the top mount kit just cover the parts for the front suspension? I just want to make sure I get the mounts for the rear shocks too!

Cheers

Timo.

Dunno what comes in the GSF kit, but the genuine VW bits are only about £20/side and from what I've heard it's worth the difference in price.

youll get the rubber mount and the bearing in the gsf kit

Yup, that's what I got in the kit from GSF that was used in the how-to guide and yes, it does just contain the front top mount.

The rear top mounts just have bearings in though, so they're less likely to be worn out.

Go OE from VW mate, it's not worh the few quid saved, esp if you're uprating the suspension too.

to which id say they must be the same because i was at the stealers the other week and a gsf van pulled up and delivered some top monts,as well as other items :?

I dont know if its any good to you but I have two brand new top mount kits sat in my garage....

Well don't leave me in anticipation!! How much do you want for them?

Already managed to buy the rear axle bushes from someone else saving me a few pound so I may aswell continue 8)

Timo.

P.S. I thought it was worth replacing the rear top mounts too as these will be shot?? Is this not the case. Surely its worth doing it while I have the suspension apart.

P.S. I thought it was worth replacing the rear top mounts too as these will be shot?? Is this not the case. Surely its worth doing it while I have the suspension apart.

Apparently they're very unlikely to ever wear out, but they're only a few quid. You might as well replace them if you're going to be in there anyway.

Just to check what I have and will need.

Front and rear top mounts

Rear axle bushes (really looking forward to doing that :roll: )

Bumpstops (front and rear??)

Another trip to VW dealers. I'm there best customer!!!

Timo.

Corrado ones??

The GSF ones are not the same as OE VW ones

not the same but equally as good

Not my experience mate! I'm sticking with VW. Worth the extra few quid.

Yes, definately replace the rear top mounts. They go soft with age and collapse causing the back of the car to drop about 25mm and the car will also understeer more than it should.

Heres a pic of old vs new I got from Mike Edwards.

They will be ordered to :mrgreen:

I can see the cost of all this spiralling out of control!!! :( Ahhh... who cares, it'll be worth it in the end!

Timo.

I dont know if its any good to you but I have two brand new top mount kits sat in my garage....

Well don't leave me in anticipation!! How much do you want for them?

Already managed to buy the rear axle bushes from someone else saving me a few pound so I may aswell continue 8)

Timo.

Make me a sensible offer mate and they are yours.... also have a brand new un fitted grill spoiler too...

I bought them with the front engine mount for VR6 (also brand new) for about £90 ....

the grill spoiler was £12 from GSF... exact copy of the Kamei one and fits great!!

£50 the lot?

Dont want the spoiler mate. I'll get back to you on the top mounts if thats ok. Going to the dealers early this week to get the other stuff priced and ordered so I'll have a better idea!! I'll probably have them off you. I'll let you know as soon as possible.

cheers Scott,

Timo.

Are top mounts 'bump stops'? Please excuse my ignorance...

No, seperate Items... the bumpstops are what they say they are, ie they stop the car from bottoming out over bumps...

Usually when doing a suspension change you will need to buy front top mounts and rear bumpstops but its wise to get them both all round as they don't cost much compared with the labour involved with doing the job again...

I got my top mounts from GSF and they appeared to be VAG items (I used VR6 ones tho...) but I have heard several people getting pattern ones of lesser quality so maybe best to have a look at them first as it may depend on what they have in stock, saying that I think its best to get the GSF rear bumpstops as the FEBI ones they sell are solid rubber and won't disintegrate like the VW foam ones, you just need to trim them with a knife or hacksaw if you are lowering the car or they will bottom out to easily.

Oh well that's my wallet alot lighter. Just ordered the suspension and I ordered all the other parts from VW this afternoon except the front top mount kits which Scott is selling me (hopefully) :mrgreen:

Job done...... and now I'm skint!! :(

Timo.

Just the Koni sports suspension kit from http://www.larkspeed.com A few people on this forum have this kit and recon its pretty good. Supposed to be very similar to the koni TA/H&R springs setup and its was only £380 so I cant argue with that!! You can barely get the koni TA shocks on their own for price!!

Timo.