Sign in to follow this  
brookescourt

REMOVING BOOST RETURN PIPES AND FITTING CONE FILTER IN WING?

thanks man, i'm lovin it... can't wait to get it in the car!!

too bad the car looks like this right now :?

apart.jpg

:shocked!: shit! i knew something was missing!!!

(i'm doin some craziness to the front end ;))

Love that black charger! Mean!!

Twin inlets, think about it: How much do Jabba charge for the R1?? which is increasing the inlet of the charger by a couple mill. Twin inlets increases the inlet area by 100%!!! Just gotta make sure you draw cold air in!

Thanks again for the advice guys,

Is there any way of fitting a dual intake without lowering the rad beceause I have just fitted a big intercooler and had to have brackets made up for that as I had to move it back a couple of cm and dont know if I can be bothered moving everything again.

I also have a few more questions,

Does a cone filter in the wing get much more air than one in the standard airbox position?

Is it really much more efficient than the standard airbox?

Is it safe to vent the boost return pipe to air?

Thanks (again)

Rob

stormseeker: ya man, thats my next mod 295-100R40 rubber :lol:

dubcharged: thanks :D i was worried paint would look cheap, but it doesn't at all, i'm well pleased with the job dave did!

"think about it: How much do Jabba charge for the R1?? which is increasing the inlet of the charger by a couple mill. Twin inlets increases the inlet area by 100%!!! Just gotta make sure you draw cold air in!"

exactly. i was going to get the intake ported, but whats the point?? there is so much more air available, and a better distribution of it within the charger, when you run a second intake. once you do that, the charger has more air than it'll ever need. only problem is, where to get that second shot of cold air. the stock location is no problem, through the carbon cannister hole.. but the second intake is a little tricky. i see three options (i have a small electric rad fan, not that huge stock fan)...

1) drop the rad a few inches and bring the air in above the rad, right into the charger. this is the best solution in my mind because of the direct shot into the charger with hardly any piping. potential problem is heak soak. i thought dropping the rad wouldn't be too difficult, but it seems a real bitch now that i have the front of the car off and i'm trying to sort it out. darren dropped the rad down on his G60... care to elaborate darren?? :wink:

2) battery to the trunk, the stock intercooler replaced with a front mount or air>water unit... and then run the second intake through a hole cut similar to the carbon cannister hole, but on the other side of the engine bay down into the area that the stock IC was in. good solution... but i don't have the cash or time right now to move the intercooler, piping, etc, and do a good job of it.. and i'd rather not move the battery to the trunk.

3) hood scoup, right at the front of the bonnet. this would work great... same potential heat soak problem as dropping the rad due to the location of the filter box right behind the rad. the upper rad hose would be in the way... and i don't want to mess up the rado's clean lines with a hood scoup.

so.......for now i think i'll just be blocking off the second intake until i can afford some serious front-end modification... probably a new IC setup. anyone else have a solution for dual cold air intakes? i've thought about this long and hard and i can't come up with anything else.. seems other people are having the same problem with it.

what's better? one cold ram air intake and the other intake blocked off...or one cold ram air intake and one hot intake from the engine bay? :?

its too bad they didn't come out of karmann with two intakes!!! ..save us all this trouble :lol:

hey rob.

"Does a cone filter in the wing get much more air than one in the standard airbox position? Is it really much more efficient than the standard airbox?"

yes, especially if you set it up so the air is RAMMED into the filter. more colder air = more power. a high-flow panel filter in the air box with cold air ducting ramming air in through the carbon cannister hole would be pretty good too.. but i don't have a stock airbox to hack up :p

"Is it safe to vent the boost return pipe to air?"

yes. i'd either put a breather filter on it or some sort of screen to keep shit out. it won't ever suck in.. but just to be safe.

it sounds like your best bet for dual intakes is to run the second one down into the stock IC location... like in the #2 option above.

let us know how it goes. :)

LOWG- well when i cleaned my intercooler i found apex strips and bits of my old charger,i used petrol to brake down all the grease that was in it and there was loads of iT..

Please dont tell me you are going to carry on using this i/cooler i bet there is still fragments of trashed charger in it and i just think you are asking for trouble! we would never fit and i/c back on a car that the charger has let go on for exactly this reason also i would be taking ALL the PIPEWORK of and give it a very good clen aswell

thats what i did darren,i took all my tubes out and cleaned all of them,i clean the intercooler many times and shaked it really well,i think i removed alll the bits,what i might do is to take the ic tube where it joins with tb and rev the car to clean off any remainig bits while boost is on,is there anything else i should do?

here is a pic of our twin intake parts dodgy pic sorry...- i will post some better pics of it up tonight basiclly you would need to drop the rad for a custom made air box ..unless you want unsightly ductwork going all over the front of you engine bay with a filter on the end somwhere .. not the way we would go about doing somthing like this.. :o

imho migs i would rather be fitting a good used i/cooler that hasend had a charger go bang in at all !! can get one for around £30 i would rather buy one of these than see it all get ruined again!!

cra# man you scearing me :( ,i know i cleaned it really well but i shouldnt really take a chance you right,it could cost my engine. I was going to get hte 944 intercooler but when i toook out the ic the other day i decided to keep it for another month as i thought the pipe work would have to be thought of really well for the front mount intercooler as i dont want my boost pipes poping off here and there,especially when im in middle of europe,maybe i will rething about the piping again but my hardest thing is bending the pipe from charger to ic,ill have a chat with the steel work guy again.

I finally got my oil cooler fitted up last night and ran the car up to normal operating temp with the front bumper off to check for any leaks, for some reason I put my hand on the intercooler and was surprised how warm it was considering the car had just been idling for 5 mins! I also cleaned my intercooler while I had the bumper off but there wasn`t much muck inside mine, I did find a leak though, enough for water to drip from inside the core somewhere so I guess under pressure I am loosing quite a bit of boost :(

was the leak comming from the end tanks?how are your oil temperatures now,how high does it go?

have any pics with the front off the car darren? i think you sent me some before.. can't seem to find em :?

The leak was coming from the core somewhere inside.

I`v not had time to give my car a road test yet, still have to bleed my rear brakes, should be done tmrw, will let you know what temps.

must be another one rado.. yours maybe? can you take a pic inside the hood of the second intake?? :mrgreen:

What about using the 'filter inside a tube' system like the BMC one for the second intake? Could this be used to route a pipe round to somewhere with some air?? Just an idea.... I like the sound of this twin intake. :twisted:

umm, am i missing something here but isnt the basic idea to get as much (cold) air in as possible? What is the purpose of the boost return hose in the first place. Surely its just venting the boost out the other end?? :oops: Am i right in thinking its just venting while not at full throttle when not as much boost is needed? In that case, whats the difference between the boost return and the ISV??? :?

julesz: i've thought about that filter on a tube thing.. only place really to run it is over to where the stock IC is, cut a hole like the carbon cannister hole.. and put it down there. problem is, the stock IC is in the way, so unless you move it or do something else for an IC..

the purpose of the boost return hose in the first place is for environmental consciousness i believe. can't think of another reason why vw would want to send that hot air back into the charger. you're right, it just vents the boost back into the charger when you don't use it.

uhm.. the boost return hose returns the boost to the charger, the isv controls your idle, and also vents off boost above 0.8bar.

take a look at the diagrams i posted on page 2 of this thread.. it will help explain where everything goes... take a look at the one i drew up with dual intakes... the isv gets routed back into the throttle body and boost return is just blown off into the atmosphere.

g60 i think what you talking about on the location of the second air intake inst that apropriate,i mean that means you gotta us about 1m of ducting and they better be big in diameter to get a good airflow. Than again they will heat up and by the way air gets to the charger will get warmer,also the roaring of teh charger fom that intake will drown as the tube will be too long,im pretty sure you can squezze a tube in the location between the right intake on the charger and the start of hte rad. There is a plastic plate htere if you see that directs the air to the rad,i took that off and tried my stock intake pipe that is used with the stock airbox and i could bend it there enough to fit,is a tight sqweeze but it works,also the rad can be moved as there are about 4 holes thatyou can move teh rad,try the last one that takes it as far away from the charger,but for me i will look in what other smaller more compact rad with a fan that is flatter i can use as i will give me loads of room for the front 944 intercooelr and the tubing.

lowG: without dropping the rad, i see no way in hell to squeeze an intake in anywhere around the rad. maybe i have an aftermarket rad that is larger than the stock one.. i dunno. car came with this rad and an electric fan. :?

my rad is tight with the upper rad support, and tight with the bottom support... not even a cm of room there.. and the same goes on the sides.. no room at all except a small channel to left of the rad (when looking from the front) that is below the charger.. but there is a high-pressure a/c line there in a/c cars, like mine. do you mean this open bit of space where the a/c line would run? i could see this working, but its a pretty bendy path for the air to take, not sure if it would be much better than the almost 1m-long tube. this is also why i don't really like the idea of a rallye u-bend and front mount combo... very bendy path for the pressurized air to take compared to straight pipes and an air>water unit.

i agree, running tube almost a meter long won't be ideal, but its better than taking the second intake from in the engine bay. you could always wrap it with heat resistant shit to stop a bit of the soak...

the whole thing makes me wish vw designed it a little better.. :x

Interesting thread this. Im a bit of a newbie to G60s and was doing a search and found this. Has anybody overcome the dual intake/lowered radiator/front mount intercooler thing yet? Also, in running a dual intake with stage 4 charger say, would this not create even higher boost levels? Just wondering if it could mean the difference between running say 14psi before dual inlet and 16/17 after hence the need for red tops. Thats my only concern. How much work is it to move the radiator down then?