Sign in to follow this  
Bean

VR6 Engin Rebuild

Hi I have a problem with my vr it is burning silly amounts of oil. I have done a bit of looking around and found that the 1 & 6 spark plugs are badly oiled and that the rocker cover gasket is leaking. (K reg 93 with 135K)

What i would like to know is:-

How much new piston rings will cost

How much it will cost for a re bore

Anything else which should be done at the same time

I have a mate that owns a garage and will do the work on the cheap for me and sai that the labour will cost between £300 and £500.

Cheers

Dan

As the search will reveal, rebore/piston rings will cost ya serious wedge. You don't really wanna do it "on the cheap" either.

But as the search will also reveal, you're most likely suffering from head/valve problems. Get a compression and leak down test for an engine health assesment.

I had the head done in the last 5000 miles so i don't think it is the valves or head. I cant afford £2700 for a rebuild so i am going to have to do it with my mate. (sods law) Is the 24V a 2.8?

Yep the 4Motion 24V is a 2.8 but 204bhp / 199lb/ft torque, versus the 2.9's 190bhp & 181lb/ft, so you're not losing anything by going for a smaller engine. It's a much smoother and punchier engine and it actually idles smoothly, unlike the 12V!

It will bolt up to the VR6 gearbox, so no probs there either.

I just think if you're going to the trouble of taking the engine out, you may aswell put something better in it's place.....just my imo.

I kinda like the lumpy idle :)

Does sound like a good idea but i want to weigh up the options for both ways first.

Another thing learnt, didnt know you could swap the engine out for a 4Motion unit. How much is a 4Motion engine out of curiosity ?

PhatVR6 and CoxyLaad have both got 24V engines, so they're out there somewhere. Cheapest I've seen one is about £500 but don't know what that included but saw another one a while ago for around the £1250 mark with everything included.

Yeah you will need as much as possible from the MK4, inc ECU, to make the job as painless as possible.

And nope, the 24V head won't go on the 12V block :(

what are the pros and cons of

1. buying a second hand 2.8 and boring it out to a 2.9

2. boring my 2.9 out to a 3.0

Is it true that you can only get the over sized pistons for the 3.0L over bore from the states?

cheers guys i am a bit stuck here and am trying to work out the best (most affordable) way of getting my vr to run like she used to!!!

:(

1. Usual route for rebuilding a 2.9 as VW still stock 2.9 pistons and rings. Pros - back to factory power again. Cons - back to factory power again.

2. Yep, JR are the people that make them. Pros - more power and torque. Cons - Cost. The pistons are expensive.

Cheers Kev

I have sent off for a quote from JR and will have to wait and see what happens . I will be back with many more questions!!!! :oops:

Cheers

Dan

sorry guys does anyone have the website for JR turns out I sent off for a quote to the wrong JR motorsports!

Cheers

Dan

I just got the results from my leak down test and it turns out that 3 of the cyilinders lost 13 to 16 psi :(

2 of them wornt to bad they just need re howning ( I don't know how to spell that!) and 1 of the has a bad vertical score down the whole length of the bore!

Has anyone made a liner for the vr6 before and does anyone know how much meat there is to play with?

cheers

Dan

It's JE that make the pistons aint it?????? Never heard of JR before apart from the people that make the air filters and induction kits!!!!

2 of them wornt to bad they just need re howning ( I don't know how to spell that!)

Dan

honing :wink:

arrr! see I was thinking of ho as in you dirty little ho!!! hehe

cheers banana man will have a look.