PhatVR6

PhatVR6's 4wd 24v Corrado (new brakes)

Ok so I bottled out on cutting the roof off. I've order some tools to remove the bonded glass. So I'm saving any cutting and grinding until all the glass is out and somewhere safe (not that all of it will be going back in).

mongy roof

229719589.jpg

some rushed prop mounts that I never got round to painting.

229719575.jpg

no dash or loom or fueboard

229719558.jpg

sunroof fitting bodgery

229719535.jpg

prop off, looking a bit monging under there

229719519.jpg

the red crystals. still cna't decide if I like them

229719509.jpg

balls, the roof skin goes right into the boot shut

229719498.jpg

quick douse of rattle can black on the oz's to see how'd they'd look in black.

229719488.jpg

totally gutted door, weighs half as much now

229719442.jpg

Could you keep a small section around the roof skin for the boot mount etc and have a carbon inner skin mounted to it?? or an ally skin

Could you keep a small section around the roof skin for the boot mount etc and have a carbon inner skin mounted to it?? or an ally skin

could do, the panel istelf is literally a square metre, it's tiny, so i might buy some carbon clith off ebay and have a go myself. I've done fibreglass stuff before so it can't be much harder to work with. All smiles did all of his stuff in the garage at home. dirty great big powdercoating oven at work I could put it in to dry it off.

I had the air nibbler out anyway, so I thought it would be rude no to chop the rest of the roof out.

Vid uploading now.

231180853.jpg

231180827.jpg

231180823.jpg

had a mare trying to remove the windows. I bought some proper tools off ebay, not having much joy with them, stanley knife is better....

i started on the passenger side rear quarter glass, I I knew it didn't matter if I broke it as it needed replacing anyway. looks like somone has been hitting it with a rock in the past trying to break it.

anyway, I got most of the sealant cut, and had the wondow practically hanging out. only the back corner to go, but I guess the marks from the rock had weakened the glass, as it shattered. problem being, the seal them fell against the bodywork and scratched the rear arch to buggery.

removed the rear seat surround tonight and drilled out the spot welds for the seat mounts. going to weigh all the peices I've removed before I scrap them.

Short vid of the roof being cut. Be patient as youtube may not have it cleared it yet.

Once cut the entire roof off a Hillman Imp just leaving the screen and some sharp edges, (after we'd welded up the doors in case opening one let it break in half) drove it out of the garage and it was bl00dy raining. Drove it around for a week without a single pull from plod, then drove it to the scrapper including the old roof thrown in the back with a couple of blocks and stuff.

But a Corrado???

These are knackered panels! Backwards into a tree still doing 90 or so, rolled down a bank and landed on it's wheels. We dragged it out of the field with a tractor. It didn't get fixed :lol:

now that's battered! (and completely off topic.....)

updates from this aft. would like to have got more done but I was at work this morning. first overtime I've been offered for 3 years so couldn't turn it down.

new seat. Recaro Pro Racer SPG. out of date for race use, but it's still in good nick so it'll do me. literally has 10mm of padding on the arse though, will need to pad that out a bit more!

233146192.jpg

removing the rear seat base support. using a spot weld drill to drill though the part I'm removing only.

233146195.jpg

upper bulkhead removed to aid engine bay cooling and make more room. chassis number retained, I'll wrap it around the strut brace and weld it to that. never keen on the idea of cutting it out really.

233146196.jpg

this is where the tunnel was modifed to fit the 9n polo shifter unit. you can see the prop support too.

233146254.jpg

windscreen removed. check out the roof seam where the panels are brazed together.

233146256.jpg

engine out, charger mounted up temporarily.

233146198.jpg

it's a big bugger! need to measure up and design some bracketry for it

233146205.jpg

233146218.jpg

going to bore out he alternator bracket on that round bit where the tensioner used to live. I'll fit a bearing in there for the shaft to drive the charger.

233146237.jpg

removed the washer bottle bracket.

233152942.jpg

set rails are coming out too

233152951.jpg

windscreen had a bullseye in it anyway so i din't even attempt to try and save it. absolute swine of a job, took me 3 hours to get that out.

233152948.jpg

current status

233152943.jpg

This is an excellent project now its going full on, can't wait to watch it progress.

aye, swapped the charge for a set of schrick cams. I'd never have paid £3000 for one, but I couldn't really not have a go at fitting it for what it owes me (i.e. nothing).

interior looking pretty sparse now, going to cut out all that inner wing panel. mk2's never had it, so why does the corrado need it? cage will put back in the strength.

235258461.jpg

tried the seat in. feels best sat flat on the floor, but that will need and extended steering column and floor mounted pedal box. would love to do that but will see how funds go.

235258459.jpg

Trimmed back the roof a bit more

235258458.jpg

back on it's wheels. back to VR hubs for the time being, but with TT wishbones.

235258454.jpg

bet you've never seen a pic like that before! bizarre

235258451.jpg

removed a bit more of the sealant.

235258447.jpg

TAS top mounts

235258443.jpg

the chassis leg. for reference for all your mk2 vr6 people

235258437.jpg

235258434.jpg

235258430.jpg

seat supports totally removed

235258423.jpg

235258418.jpg

the roof stiffener

235258412.jpg

haven't decided how much to take off at the back yet. the roof panel comes right around into the boot seal. think I'll leave some of it in.

235258407.jpg