PhatVR6

PhatVR6's 4wd 24v Corrado (new brakes)

looking good paul, some nice progress there. how did you remove the sealent in the engine bay.

Good skills :cool:

Love the orange samco's - it's like a trademark now! but what is the orange dipstick handle about - looks like a lawnmower start :lol:

Is the red paint just oxide primer?

r32 dipstick is round, audi one is a T-bar, no idea why?!

yeah, just primer to protect everything for the lazy days I'm not working on it.

grim looking interior shot (through the roof!)

238566142.jpg

that tar is horrible stuff to get off

238566135.jpg

had the old scales out today. sunroof was 16lbs. got a total of 4.5stone removed from the car so far, and that's not including glass, wiring or the electric windows. That's literally the sunroof and all the steel I've cut out.

She's on the move!

Borrowed a mates scabby grass tracking trailer (delivberatly left like that so no one nicks it!) and managed to push the old girl on by hand on my own, damn she's light now!

Didn't have time to get the drivers window out, I'll strip that when I get there.

238784794.jpg

238784784.jpg

238784778.jpg

238784774.jpg

238784763.jpg

238784756.jpg

First night outside since September 2005.....and it's forecast snow.......

Off for rollcage first thing in the morning.

you're a brave man to have pulled apart what was already, by most peoples standards, a damn fine and pretty unique corrado. I'm looking forwards to seeing how this turns out, always impressive seeing what you're up to paul ;)

I must admit I was a little reluctant to start cutting away at a mint and straight shell, but the roof has alwasy bugged me so I had no problems whatsover taking the nibbler to it.

At last, they've actually started making my cage.

242069663.jpg

242069657.jpg

242069640.jpg

242069626.jpg

242069615.jpg

Very very tight fit to the roof. It's actually touching the roof brace. I wanted it a bit tighter to the B pillar, but that would have meant the door bars would have beet too far out.

I didn't particularly want a brace in the main hoop, but it's FIA regs now apparently. For added side impact protection (not that I hope that will ever be needed).

They were bending up the front bars whilst I was there too. Doing it in the cheap CDS so as not to waste the expensive T45. Once they have the shape right they do the final bend with the thin wall T45 and in it goes.

looking good, thats going to be one sturdy mofo when its finished!

I expect they were grateful for the lack of roof, its got to help speed fitment up a little by not being quite so enclosed!

I was meant to pick the car up today but the cage still isn't finished.

Latest updates.

This is how tight the front bars are on the A pillars, actually touching.

245779398.jpg

Neatly through the bulkhead

245779353.jpg

Passenger side almost done

245779324.jpg

Front shot

245779286.jpg

Passenger side door bars. Deliberately kept low for easier access and to go under the dash.

245779262.jpg

Through bulkhead viewed from the engine bay

245779227.jpg

Full frontal

245779189.jpg

Windscreen bar, I can't believe how neat they've got that.

245779179.jpg

It's fair to say I'm extremely pleased with the job so far. Can't wait to see it all fully welded in. Ready for collection next saturday :-)

Excellent stuff. When my car eventually becomes a second car, I want to strip it all out and cage it too. The shell has been jacked up so often, the jacking points are starting to deform so I reckon a cage would restore some lost rigidity perfectly. Good work!

well, I'm doing you guys a favour. Now they have the patterns and dimensions they can make corrado cages a hell of a lot quicker (and possibly cheaper!)

there will actually be an identical cage to mine but in CDS. all the bits they used as test peices until they got it to fit right. migth see if I can buy the bits off them if anyone wants them for the basis of a cage?

Well, cage is finished.

I say finished but I still want to add a dash bar and brace that through to the front strut brace, and I guess the seat rails will also be classed as cage, they will be fitted later.

Also, I'm still not 100% happy about not going for for another cross brace in the rear. Spent the money on the roof diagonal and the front strut brace instead, x-brace was placed in the hoop as that's the new FIA rules apparently.

Proper trailer with brakes this time! Many thanks to Matthew at Graham Edwards Trailers for the loan of it. The country did well to pull it.

247471505.jpg

Front strut brace is a bit too tight on the wiper mechanism. might have to massage something a little to get it to work

247471507.jpg

Dash still fits nice

247471504.jpg

Paintwork wasn't as bad as I thought after a polish. a few new dings in it though but they can't really be avoided.

247471502.jpg

247471499.jpg

247471498.jpg

Nice little plaque

247471496.jpg

247471494.jpg

247471493.jpg

247471492.jpg

Time to get stuck in and get the inside ready for more work and some paint.